oil changing hot or cold

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
jagit1

oil changing hot or cold

#1 Post by jagit1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi, wondering if you should change oil hot or cold.Cold being that all sediments will have drained to the bottom, hot being that everything is still suspended around everywhere.Any thoughts on subject welcomed.
jagit.

TerryG

Re: oil changing hot or cold

#2 Post by TerryG » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:13 pm

I always change mine hot if I can. When I have been out for a run (or driven it around the block). Leave it to sit for 5 minutes so all the oil drains back in to the sump then let it run out. It is much more pleasant than cold oil and it drains more quickly.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#3 Post by rich. » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:57 pm

hot... nothing worse than cold oil running up your sleeve as you undo the sump drain :D

Luxobarge

#4 Post by Luxobarge » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Hot - always.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

jagit1

#5 Post by jagit1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks all for that, will do hot oil change :thumbs:
jagit.

tractorman

#6 Post by tractorman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:46 pm

As others say, hot is the way to do it. I know what you mean when you say the sediment is at the bottom when the oil is cold; however, a lot of teh sediment turns fairly solid when cool and doesn't come out! When I did the first oil change on the big tractor, I drained the oil and then took the sump off (it's just a rectangular sheet steel plate) and there was over an inch of crud on it (and up the sides of the chassis, which works as part of the sump, with the block bolted on top of it). Being used to a nice light, clean sump, I nearly dropped the thing (and my head was right below it!

Taking the sump off is a routine maintenance job on these machines (David Brown), you are supposed to do it every three or four oil changes, as you have to clean the filter on the oil pick-up pipe! Obviously the previous owner didn't do that - and the engine is a replacement one, so you think he might have learnt his lesson when the first engine failed!

alabbasi

#7 Post by alabbasi » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:15 am

Change it hot and change it often. Any sediment should be trapped by the oil filter and not at the bottom of the oil pan. New oils are quite high in detergent, but if you have sludge, then switch to a diesel rated motor oil as it's usually high in zinc and high in detergent.

SirTainleyBarking

#8 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:57 pm

tractorman wrote:As others say, hot is the way to do it. I know what you mean when you say the sediment is at the bottom when the oil is cold; however, a lot of teh sediment turns fairly solid when cool and doesn't come out! When I did the first oil change on the big tractor, I drained the oil and then took the sump off (it's just a rectangular sheet steel plate) and there was over an inch of crud on it (and up the sides of the chassis, which works as part of the sump, with the block bolted on top of it). Being used to a nice light, clean sump, I nearly dropped the thing (and my head was right below it!

Taking the sump off is a routine maintenance job on these machines (David Brown), you are supposed to do it every three or four oil changes, as you have to clean the filter on the oil pick-up pipe! Obviously the previous owner didn't do that - and the engine is a replacement one, so you think he might have learnt his lesson when the first engine failed!
Ah the good old sump in the kisser. Smarts a bit (6 cylinder LR one in my case)

Yep, get it hot, and all the grot dispersed so that all comes out with the oil rather than leaving a layer of crap behind
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

TerryG

#9 Post by TerryG » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:07 pm

I have never had the sump itself hit me in the face but I have had a sump full of oil all over me more than once.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Grumpy Northener

#10 Post by Grumpy Northener » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 pm

I have never had the sump itself hit me in the face but I have had a sump full of oil all over me more than once.
Neither of the above have happened to me - However - I been down a pit / under the car and been removing the sump plug and had just got to final few threads when a workmate threw what looked like a rat into the pit out of a bucket shouting at the time 'watch the rat it bites' !! (it was just a bundle of rag) I turned round so quickly that I hit my forehead on the warmish downpipe of the exhaust - and while part dazed the sump plug was out - result = both my boots had filled with enough warm old engine oil that it was oozing out of the lace holes :oops: :oops: Obviously much laughter ensued from the above bar stewards on the workshop floor !!
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles