smokey Daimler 250v8

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
jagit1

smokey Daimler 250v8

#1 Post by jagit1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi, just wondering what best solution for smokey engine thats puffing out grey smoke.will do oil and filter change using 25/70 oil, but any other ideas, welcomed.Regards Adrian.

rich.

Re: smokey Daimler 250v8

#2 Post by rich. » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:32 pm

http://www.ametech.co.uk/

im really really sorry :oops: :oops:

tineca

#3 Post by tineca » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi I am sure i have read about a jag resto somewhere that smoked like that and it was something to do with the oil cooler pipe. It might have been something else as its a faint memory but it was definitely something not connected up and exiting via the exhaust. i'm sure its nothing terminal with it being greay and not blue or black. You have checked the mixture haven't you? Cheers Jed

jagit1

#4 Post by jagit1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks Jed,but carburettor cant be adjusted any more apparently, something to do with spring too compressed from age.

JPB

#5 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:50 pm

jagit1 wrote:Thanks Jed,but carburettor cant be adjusted any more apparently, something to do with spring too compressed from age.
Utter toffee! :roll:

Let me translate what you were told:
Sorry, we can't be bothered working with SUs even though you can get every part you're ever likely to want for the things! The needles erode in time which would make it possible for the mixture to be difficult to set correctly but those are available too.

Spring too compressed my hint end! Go back to whoever said that and punch them! If there's something up with the springs, then fit a new pair for all the point there is in their being there.
The washers in the plug tubes usually leak too and if there's a significant amount of spilt oil burning off the insides of the tubes that could create a further source of odd smoke.

I detest it when garage people will tell people any old balls rather than take the job on! Any halfway decent mechanic would be delighted to work on a proper engine.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

jagit1

#6 Post by jagit1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Yes John, but cant get carb screws adjustment to go any further lean, I know you can get parts but but don't know how to strip them and put together again and mechanic bills escalates. Just wondering any other way to make it run leaner, thanks, Adrian.

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 pm

jagit1 wrote:Just wondering any other way to make it run leaner
In a word, no.

Changing the needles and jets is not overly difficult. if you don't have a classic friendly local garage then it is definitely a DIY job with basic tools and a Haynes manual.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

jagit1

#8 Post by jagit1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Thanks everyone, will do, also after the oil change I'll give it a blast up the road for a good clear out.Has sat around for a few years !
A.

JPB

#9 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:13 pm

jagit1 wrote:Yes John, but cant get carb screws adjustment to go any further lean, I know you can get parts but but don't know how to strip them and put together again and mechanic bills escalates. Just wondering any other way to make it run leaner, thanks, Adrian.
My apologies, Adrian, I had assumed that you'd been given the erroneous information by a garage person somewhere. However, as Terry has said it's very easy to change the needles and jets, so much so that pretty much anyone can do the job after a quick read up of the appropriate information, one source of which is found in this link. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

jagit1

#10 Post by jagit1 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:31 pm

Wow, thanks John, I'll study the carb views and start with it sometime soon, if I have the nerves to.
Thanks again for that,A.