smokey Daimler 250v8

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: smokey Daimler 250v8

#11 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:35 pm

You're most welcome. Just take your time, read the guide at least twice, do the job once and you'll sort this. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Topaz

#12 Post by Topaz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:36 am

You haven't mentioned your location but I wonder if any of the garages mentioned here are near enough to you to see if they can help - they all come with recommendations from members here

http://practicallyclassics.phpbbhosts.c ... f=3&t=4836

Mike

jagit1

#13 Post by jagit1 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Hi mike, too far away, North London. A.

DaveB

#14 Post by DaveB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:58 pm

These engines have a tendency to smoke when pretty much anything goes out of adjustment. Glazed bores = smoke from exhaust. Worn valve guides = smoke from exhaust. Worn bores = smoke from exhaust. Worn piston rings = smoke from exhaust. HD6 carbs out of adjustment = smoke from exhaust. Pin hole in carb jet diaphragm = smoke from exhaust. Worn big end bearings = smoke from exhaust. Worn main bearings = smoke from exhaust.You get the idea!

The carbs are also quite sensitive and need the adjustments checked every few thousand miles - I check mine and make fine adjustments every 500 miles and reset them every 2000 miles. Consequently I have done it dozens of times. If it would help I can let you have a copy of the relevant sections of the SU manual which gives concise and clear instructions, with diagrams, on how to strip down, reassemble and adjust HD6 carbs.

For really effective adjustment you will need some kind of vacuum balancing tool, they are easily and cheaply available on eBay or various tool shops.

Best wishes, Dave B
1937 Daimler 15 Mulliner Sports & 1969 Daimler V8 250