W108 Mercedes 280SE diesel conversion project

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
pryantcc

Re: W108 Mercedes 280SE diesel conversion project

#61 Post by pryantcc » Fri May 23, 2014 7:45 am

Thanks for your kind comments!

The engine fits (kinda). Wohoo!
Last night we dropped the engine in and attached the gearbox to it. The good news is that there's room for everything (just about). The tightest part is fitting the gearbox into the transmission tunnel. The manual 'box is higher towards the prop shaft compared to the auto 'box which came out of the car. That means that the shift mechanism which attaches at the top, rear is going to be tight. It needs modification anyway though, for length, so if required, we can make things more streamlined.

The steering box which I thought might be a big problem and get in the way of the turbo exit and exhaust isnt too bad at all.

Next thing to do is to position the engine as precisely as possible and figure out how to mount it so that it doesn't fall out!
I'll try to get some photos up over the weekend.

pryantcc

#62 Post by pryantcc » Sat May 24, 2014 10:41 pm

Well, here it is, the "new" engine in its new home. It's only sat there, but it fits in well. The engine bay looks a bit empty but will soon fill up with a battery, air box, computer box and screen washer bottle. the blue shopping bag contains the wiring harness for now!!

This intercooler pipe had to be sacrificed as it was sitting on the anti-roll bar, I'll just re-route it, or might even get away with squashing it a bit:

Lots of clearance between subframe and sump:

And the exhaust clears the steering box:

It's difficult to get a decent photo of it, but here's the attachment for the shifting mechanism on top of the gearbox. It's pretty tight to the top of the transmission tunnel. That long self-tapper is someone else's legacy! :roll:

This photo shows the original V8 engine mount and the new, improved wooden version.

JPB

#63 Post by JPB » Sat May 24, 2014 11:07 pm

Brilliant stuff! At this rate, you'll have it on the road by the end of May. :thumbs:

OK, so who's going to be first to fit an OM660 across the nose of a mini? Daimler-Benz do some superb Diesel engines, it's up to enthusiasts like us lot to fit them into some decent, old cars and I especially want to see a 799cc, 71bhp three cylinder mini that has enough torque to leave a 1275S standing. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#64 Post by rich. » Sun May 25, 2014 8:15 am

your next project john?? :D

JPB

#65 Post by JPB » Sun May 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Nope, it's tiring enough these days just looking at how much hard work Mr pryantcc is putting in on this brilliant project, I'm afraid I just give money to other folk if I want stuff doing now. With a few exceptions. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

pryantcc

#66 Post by pryantcc » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Drive shaft sorted!
The original shaft is used up to the carrier bearing, and it turned out that the splines on the shaft which came with the manual gearbox match it, so my very good friend just shortened the front section of the shaft which belongs to the gearbox. You can see how it was before and how it is now in the photos below.

bnicho

#67 Post by bnicho » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:42 am

Loving the work you are putting into this conversion but just looking at the wiring loom gives me a headache!

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

pryantcc

#68 Post by pryantcc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:23 pm

bnicho wrote:Loving the work you are putting into this conversion but just looking at the wiring loom gives me a headache!

Cheers,
Thanks Brett!
The wiring is actually the part I'm most comfortable with. I'm looking forward to the point when the location of all the components is finalised so that I can get stuck into it!

TerryG

#69 Post by TerryG » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:51 pm

it is too hard not to post this.

You've been shafted (i'll get my coat)

It looks like you are having fun working the little problems out. I suspect that I would have got frustrated by now and walked away.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

pryantcc

#70 Post by pryantcc » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:58 pm

TerryG wrote:it is too hard not to post this.

You've been shafted (i'll get my coat)

It looks like you are having fun working the little problems out. I suspect that I would have got frustrated by now and walked away.
Nice, Terry!
I do like taking on the little challenges. I'm working on the pedals at the moment. Lots of time upside down in the driver's footwell. Its slowly coming together though. Using all Mercedes donor parts has definitely helped with bits and bobs matching up very conveniently!