1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
89rallye

Re: 1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

#61 Post by 89rallye » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks guys,

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here (I know I did on another post) but I took a gamble with my ignition lock as I don't have any keys with the van, so I stripped the door, sliding door and engine lid locks off and ended up with a total of three separate key codes.

Now I know the cab doors are wrong (not 68 handles) so they have been changed in the past, it was more than likely that the sliding door was original and the engine lids also been added at a later date but I ordered two keys from these codes.

Anyway the keys turned up very quickly (which for once was actually annoying as I was working nights :shock: ) and the sliding door matches the ignition.

Sorted 8-)

Only strange thing was it didn't work in the sliding door (the code I actually ordered the key from) but that problem soon became apparent once I started stripping it.

So today I took a look at the other locks to see about putting them all onto one key, which is a tad frustrating but surprisingly very easy to do.

Yet again like everything else with this van I didn't think it would go this far but looking at the crap in the locks it was (yet again) well worth doing.

Most of the locks are generally in this sort of condition,

Except for that stubborn sliding door lock, which took about an hour to get out of the lock as it was seized solid. To free it I ended up soaking it in boiling water with the hope that all the different metals would free themselves up and it worked a treat.

This is the sliding door lock, in a very sorry state.

Cleaned the external of the barrel and it shows just how stuck the tumblers are in the barrel (with the key removed they should all be sticking out!)

So I pulled all the locks apart and cleaned each tumbler, you can also see a lot of the springs are knack erred but luckily I had a spare lock to steal the springs from.

Stripped

And cleaned,

Reassembled (tumblers are actually free and spring loaded now 8) )

All greased and it's now super smooth back in the handle,

still got the engine lid and tailgate to do (hoping the tailgate is original) but I now have one key that's fits both front cab doors, sliding door and ignition,

Just the big brake hurdle to get over..
Mark.

mach1rob

#62 Post by mach1rob » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:46 pm

Knowing my luck if I tried that, the springs would have pinged off everywhere, never to be seen again! :lol:

Mitsuru

#63 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:51 pm

mach1rob wrote:Knowing my luck if I tried that, the springs would have pinged off everywhere, never to be seen again! :lol:
Been there done that! and still finding the bits 6 years on mother hates me for that as she is the one who finds them :lol:
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Penguin45

#64 Post by Penguin45 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 am

Nice one. Did this on the boot lock on the Wolseley - built one out of two. Immensely satisfying. I did stick the tumblers to a magnet though - more chance of staying in the right order with small children thundering about the place. Little touch with a file and loads of graphite powder and it worked a treat.

P45.

Luxobarge

#65 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:12 am

89rallye wrote:
Really good work, well worth doing the fiddly bits like this so in the end everything works as it should.

However, P45 touches on an important issue above when he mentions graphite - you say you greased the locks, and sure, for a while they will work fine. However, the chances are that the reason they got so bunged up in the first place was that someone had oiled or greased them - this atracts muck and dust over time and will end up jamming them up again. Ideally you should use graphite dust, or some special lubricant designed for lock barrels, which won't attract a build up of crud.

As I say, it'll work fine for a while, but it's your call if you want to flush out the grease and replace it with graphite for an even longer life.

ONly a small picky point though - really enjoying this thread and you're doing a grand job on the old bus! Keep it up, loving the photos and write-up on each stage!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

jpsh120

#66 Post by jpsh120 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:26 am

This is a very satisfying job, I remember having to do the same on an Golf GTI that I owned where none of the locks matched for various reasons. I got so fed up with having 4 keys this seemed the sensible option and as you say quite straight forward to do.
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

TerryG

#67 Post by TerryG » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Many years ago, I worked for a locksmith that charged £40 per lock to do that. Think how much you have saved not having to pay someone else to do the job.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

tractorman

#68 Post by tractorman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 pm

The last one I did was for a teacher's Xara that wouldn't lock. I used a plastic bag when I took the lock apart and that kept the pesky springs in one place!

I did warn him that he should be careful where he parked it - one of the "levers" had got mashed up (which is why the lock didn't work), so it ended up being a lot easier to pick! It was then that he said he was selling the car in a few days!

89rallye

#69 Post by 89rallye » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Luxobarge wrote:
89rallye wrote:
Really good work, well worth doing the fiddly bits like this so in the end everything works as it should.

However, P45 touches on an important issue above when he mentions graphite - you say you greased the locks, and sure, for a while they will work fine. However, the chances are that the reason they got so bunged up in the first place was that someone had oiled or greased them - this atracts muck and dust over time and will end up jamming them up again. Ideally you should use graphite dust, or some special lubricant designed for lock barrels, which won't attract a build up of crud.

As I say, it'll work fine for a while, but it's your call if you want to flush out the grease and replace it with graphite for an even longer life.

ONly a small picky point though - really enjoying this thread and you're doing a grand job on the old bus! Keep it up, loving the photos and write-up on each stage!

Cheers :D
Sorry I'll be a bit more specific next time,
89rallye wrote:
All greased with graphite lube and it's now super smooth back in the handle,
;)

This is the stuff I used in the end,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-door-lock ... 2ecf4edbc9
Mark.

Luxobarge

#70 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:49 pm

Oh OK, cool - that looks ideal, sorry for doubting you for a moment! :oops:

I'm sure you'll agree though that grease or oil could have been the culprit for them getting in that state in the first place though - just goes to show eh?

As I say, nice work, keep the updates coming!

Cheers :D :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.