1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
crosbyvalet

Re: 1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

#31 Post by crosbyvalet » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Fantastic thread.Thanks for posting it.have enjoyed it from beginning to end.

89rallye

#32 Post by 89rallye » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Cheers,

I'm putting the 71 of the back burner for a bit and trying to get my other van running, which is a 1968 deluxe.

I didn't want to do another thread as it's practically a mirror image of this one :lol: I've been building it whilst the 71 has been in the paint shop.

Here a few of the best of the 68

How she arrived,

Other than a few repair underneath, the only main areas needing attention were the cargo floor and battery tray.

Undersides not as good as the 71

But still ended the same 8-)

All new running gear, including servo and disc brake upgrade and air suspension (not everyone's cup of tea I know)

Sitting lower on new wheels, which wont staying blue. (And don't ask about the rear arches!)

And I'm currently working on an engine for it, it's coming together very slowly but I've had it all mocked up and finally got most of the tinware painted this week.

I was swindled out of an engine by the guy in the states by the guy I bought the van off. So ended up buying this cheap off eBay, then found out it was cheap for a reason.

But after some new pistons/barrels, some polishing and porting it should be ok.... Fingers crossed anyway.

Mocked up,

The tinwares been a nightmare to get right, most of it was rotten and what couldn't be saved is pattern parts and doesn't fit!

Been painting today which brings me bang up to date with this van :lol:

Did I mention I was a vw nut? I've also got this in the works which I bought with my dad about 5 years ago,

Going to be a busy winter!
Mark.

TerryG

#33 Post by TerryG » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:15 pm

I quite like air suspension on the right car. It's not like it is an irreversible mod so if at some point you wanted to go concourse it would be really easy to convert back.
I think you are a rustaholic. Most of us manage with 1 or 2 cars, you just have to take that one step further and do 3. AT THE SAME TIME. Madness!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

89rallye

#34 Post by 89rallye » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:05 am

Lol, well it wasn't intentional it's just the way the dice has rolled.

I basically bought the first van on bit of a whim with my dad (it came up through a commercial van dealer we know at a silly price we couldn't resist as they had taken it in as a px against a newer van) but after years of cutting/ welding / grinding on it was taking its toll on our relationship. The fact that we bought it together and had a difference of opinions with the direction the van should take, plus my better half was getting impatient I decided to cut out and buy my own.

So I ended up importing two vans, one to keep one just to sell on and recoup some costs but after the mishap with the paint shop and the 9 month delay I decided to drag the 68 van out of storage and see if I could get it road worthy (and hopefully add value).

So my dads has gone into a local garage to have the remainder of the welding finished and painted, then it will be coming back to me for its brand new 1776cc engine (which I built 12 months ago) and everything else.

It's one of the worse vans I've done and needed the works, sills, outriggers, arches all round, window frames, roof gutters, front panel and nearly all floors ( front panel and floors the garage is finishing off prior to painting.)

I also built this van this year too :shock: not a fan of the 'rat' look but this was done for a mate of mine. Most of the works gone into getting it almost as low as possible.

Again not everyone's cup of tea but it took a lot of work notching the chassis and tubing the arches to get it down.

This van was never going to be a show winner and was completely rotten in places, so at least we kept it alive and we took the lowest van of the year trophy at the annual early bay club meet 8-)

I just love helping people out, mainly from the local club but need to branch out into the non vw world. Hence the search is still on for a GT6 but at 6'4" I've been told I'd better sit in one first to try it out.
Mark.

Richard Moss

#35 Post by Richard Moss » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:15 am

TerryG wrote:Thanks for creating the thread. I have read through it all, it's not boring at all :)
Couldn't agree more - great reading

Luxobarge

#36 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:19 am

89rallye wrote:It's one of the worse vans I've done and needed the works, sills, outriggers, arches all round, window frames, roof gutters, front panel and nearly all floors
That's nothing. I think you should have had a go at restoring this one:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/67766

You're the man for the job, you know you are....... ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

89rallye

#37 Post by 89rallye » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:33 am

Luxobarge wrote:
89rallye wrote:It's one of the worse vans I've done and needed the works, sills, outriggers, arches all round, window frames, roof gutters, front panel and nearly all floors
That's nothing. I think you should have had a go at restoring this one:

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/67766

You're the man for the job, you know you are....... ;)
lol, I've seen that and can top it..

I know of some guys who paid 300 euros and took a trip to Dusseldorf to collect it.

They don't even know what year it is, circa late 50's but only judging by the steering box!

Mark.

JPB

#38 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:01 pm

I found this quote from one of the posters in that RR thread quite amusing:
That bloke who, by his own admission, has much love for a nearly new Astra, wrote:The lengths some people go to - I am not a fan of these.....
Yeah, I don't like the taste of chalk but this doesn't preclude my spreading cheese on my toast. :D
That split from under the water will be fine with a good polish and some Duck Tape to patch up the transmission casing. :thumbs: ;)
Great thread, last time I saw this many loaves in one location I was standing in the bakery aisle at the supermarket.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mach1rob

#39 Post by mach1rob » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Isn't that Samba now in a roadworthy, but basically unrestored condition and being used these days?

JPB

#40 Post by JPB » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:27 pm

mach1rob wrote:Isn't that Samba now in a roadworthy, but basically unrestored condition and being used these days?
Please tell us it's so! :D I hope the current owners carry a lifeboat though, just in case. Gotta love a split, especially one with patina.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: