1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
mach1rob

Re: 1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

#41 Post by mach1rob » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:14 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnoocQyJC-0

Although things appear to have gone quiet for a while, and as I'm not a VW man as such not sure of the latest news on teh old Samba :)

89rallye

#42 Post by 89rallye » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:26 am

Well not a lot to report on the camper front as I've been slowly trying to source parts,

Have managed to do a bit on the new engine for my other van, I'm going to try and get this running, mot'd and registered as soon as possible.

It's now been converted over to a bigger Ali oil cooler as found on the later engines,

Before,

After,

This also means changing the fan and fan shroud which has taken two whole days to sort out my second hand fan shroud,

Which included fixing this and filling some unnecessary holes,

Things were looking better after some shot blasting and sanding,

Etch primed,

Painted and lacquered,

It's taken a while but there's not much left to sort now on the engine front, although I am struggling to pull the dizzy drive gear out of the case which is a bit of a worry at the moment.
Mark.

89rallye

#43 Post by 89rallye » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Little bit more done on the tins, managed to get all the major components fitted up

Then...... Took it all to bits and stripped the heads off.

This was necessary to get the missing lower tinware in place (that I didn't have when I built the long block) but simple fix and all the tappers are done now too.

Oil cooler all sealed up and fitting nicely.

And then found something else that doesn't fit properly, stupid pattern parts. Serves me right for starting without having all the pieces and mocking it all up.

Not decided on the fix for this yet as I'm still missing the final piece of tinware to check it.

Then finally the last pieces of the tinware puzzle to deal with,

They are in pretty poor condition but I got them for practically nothing,

After an initial cleaning and quick shot blasting,

This is probably the worst piece of it all,

But after a little persuasion, it's not pretty but then it doesn't have to be where it is just functional.

Couple of new tabs needed on the other side and were good to go,

They just need another clean off in the shot blaster then I'll paint them, maybe with some stone chip if I have any left.

It was then the turn of my cheaply scored alternator off eBay, which came with problems of its own and was probably cheap for a reason. Someone had actually tried welding the pulley to the shaft for some unknown reason.

Anyway, got it all stripped apart.

To be greeted with a load of black tape wrapped around the regulator, some had previously tried to solder this back on which had failed so it was being held with tape. I'm glad now I stripped and checked it.

Then it was just more of the usual, stripping and cleaning.

Not sure wether to carry on polishing or just paint it but I was warned years ago to never paint alternators, so I'm undecided.

Stand came up well though,

This was going to be painted but I think ill just leave it raw now.

Mark.

89rallye

#44 Post by 89rallye » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:16 pm

Another dull instalment from me, one day I'll have a running van! 8)

I think everything's finally done, although I'm thinking I'm going to have to paint the inlet manifolds to match now.

Decided to go OEM with the alternator and do everything else black,

Managed to re-solder the terminal on the regulator, so fingers crossed that's saved me £35.

And all back together,

Alternator backplate done in a contrasting grey, boring I know :lol: but what can I say Ive always loved the industrial look.

Mark.

Richard Moss

#45 Post by Richard Moss » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:34 am

That all looks great - neat, functional, professional.

JPB

#46 Post by JPB » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:06 pm

Richard Moss wrote:That all looks great - neat, functional, professional.
All of the above and better yet; not overdone! I like this.
8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

89rallye

#47 Post by 89rallye » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:11 pm

Cheers guys ,

I think I'm going a tad photo overload so I promise this is the last one for a while (back on shifts now anyway)

Alternator and fan assembly etc all buttoned up, just the dizzy and carb to sort out now. Then it's add oil and fuel and see what damage it will do 8-)

Last one for a while I promise.

Red urethane rubbers spoil it a little but I can live with that.
Mark.

mach1rob

#48 Post by mach1rob » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm

Almost a shame to hide it away out the back! :D

kevin

#49 Post by kevin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:54 pm

The more pictures the better for me!

Great work

Kev :thumbs:

89rallye

#50 Post by 89rallye » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Hopefully... Thankfully.. :lol: this should be the last of the engine photos 8)

I promise :lol:

So ive been getting everything ready to bench test the engine, with all the wiring going in and a keyswitch etc I made up a while ago.

Cranked it over a few times without even having the carb etc fitted just to see if I had any oil pressure... nope, not a sausage :cry:

I changed the oil switch for a brand new one but knew things werent right when I pulled it out and there was no oil present. So the only thing for it was to pull the pulley off and take the pump back out, I cant remember the brand but it WAS a high flow pump which as it turned out wasnt a pump at all and after me taking my frustrations out on it never will be again :lol:

So I put a trusty old pump back in (After checking the specs were all within tollerance) and once bled up now the light goes straight out and stays out for a good while once the ignition is turned off again.

So everythings set, fingers crossed..

Cranked and cranked and still nothing, in my haste id put the fuel lines on the pump back to front :oops: :roll:

Try again and she's alive!

Not sure if this will work or not :?:

Still needs a fine tune but i cant find my timing light anywhere, so that will have to wait for now.

Happy to say the alternator seems to be charging too, so thats turned out to be an eBay bargain :D

So my dads coming over in the morning to help me get the van moved around, from memory theres still bits to paint in the bay but not long now.

Its so nice to hear an aircooled motor running in my garage for the first time ever, well one that i own anyway!
Mark.