1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Grumpy Northener

Re: 1971 VW full build (warning lots of pics)

#11 Post by Grumpy Northener » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Not my scene these VW bus things but some really nice work executed to top of the class standards ;)
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

mach1rob

#12 Post by mach1rob » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:39 pm

It was a good read, especially as a friend of mine is currently restoring a 71 version too :D

jpsh120

#13 Post by jpsh120 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:31 am

Yes I agree, a good read. Always had a fancy for one of these, maybe one day!
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

damianz28

#14 Post by damianz28 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Great thread! love the pics, keep em coming, what wheels are going to have ? empis or Porsche five spokes perhaps ? 8-)

89rallye

#15 Post by 89rallye » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:42 pm

Cheers guys, long winter ahead I think!
damianz28 wrote:Great thread! love the pics, keep em coming, what wheels are going to have ? empis or Porsche five spokes perhaps ? 8-)
Oooo.. Way off with the Empi's I can't stand the things :lol: Porsche rims are a maybe but I have something very different in mind if I can find a set.

It's getting all modern running gear with 330mm brakes and 4pot brakes up front, also working on discs out back too. Obviously all that stopping means there's horsepower afoot 8-)
Mark.

89rallye

#16 Post by 89rallye » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 pm

Quick update for this week,

Started getting all my powder coating ready, getting the steering column apart was fun :P

Started sorting out the wiring,

Think I've broken it's back, just waiting on the new fuse box to be delivered.

Mark.

rich.

#17 Post by rich. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:55 pm

i welded up my mate camper van & i was impressed with the quality of the original steel after spending years welding up rusty paper thin british built cars :D

UKJeeper

#18 Post by UKJeeper » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:08 am

Great write up. Some of us sad gits can never have too much detail! :lol:

Like the waxoyl in the door idea. Definitely going to do something similar with Freddie as FSJ door's are well known for rusting out there due to rain collecting and not draining well enough. Thanks.
Last edited by UKJeeper on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

bnicho

#19 Post by bnicho » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:21 pm

It's an awesome rebuild. Well done!
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

89rallye

#20 Post by 89rallye » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:25 pm

Thanks guys,

I'm already starting to loose focus with it, I'm not sure if it's just a little over whelming at the moment.

Also I'm becoming more and more disappointed with the paint everytime I look at the van, I'm finding more and more faults with it from fish eyes, crap in the paint (lots of crap!) and even a few runs! I'm sick of other people coming over and pointing out more and more stuff that I hadn't seen.

Even the orange peel I think is excessive and would all come out with a good wet sand, the painter even said there's loads of paint on it and when I questioned that as not being very good he agreed!

After waiting patiently for 9 months (even though I was originally quoted 6weeks) and having nothing but them harking on about how quality takes time, I just feel let down.. No betrayed really sums it up better (mellow dramatic I know :) )

So today I had to get it off with my chest with them and in fairness they replied saying "there sorry with my disappointment and once the vans built they will do all it takes to rectify the issue areas". Which is fair enough, although I'm not sure I actually want to take it back to them now, even if it's going to cost me money to take it elsewhere.

Now I'm no dick and I know that most of it can be sanded out and buffed up but it's just the principal (that this should of already been done)

I'm now really kicking myself that I didn't check it over more thoroughly before accepting it from them but I think I got caught up in the moment and was just glad it was finally coming home. Also paying more than was originally quoted and not contesting it really is a bug to bare.

Here's a few of the more prominent bits but it's pretty much ever panel,

And then there's the cardinal sin for me, I'll try not to drone on (cause I know I do!) to much.

I was going to paint the van myself but ended up choosing to get it done professionally (using the word loosely), the main reason for this was the damage to the rear arch/corner. If I was to repair this myself I would of ended up cutting out the German steel and replacing it with cheap pattern steel (as it's double skinned and more than I could pull at home) and I thought this was unfair to do to a van that had never been welded etc

So I thought I'd leave it to a pro to pull this panel straight the proper way,

Now just to divert slightly, if you flick back a page you'll see that the underside of the van was mint (and one colour) when the painters collected it.

They even commented on how good it was and promised that they would back mask all the wheel arches to protect this, so I was a little surprised that they had painted everything green and I mean everything... Axle, brakes, brake lines, horn etc etc

When I questioned this, at first apparently I had instructed them to do it then it was because of where they had been hammering pulling etc on the body...

And while on the subject of that, I was a little unhappy at the amount of filler used while doing this repair and I'm still waiting for the promised photos of it in bare steel which I know isn't coming. I've never been happy with the body line which I believe is just crafted in filler.

So I was a little surprised to find this today, they have painted everything underneath except what actually they said needed painting!

The cardinal sin, bare steel and rusty steel in the wheel arch.. gobsmacked!

Behind the repaired arch..

Really difficult to photo but that bare steel in the middle where it's been pressed and not silver paint,

And rust,

And I've no idea what's going on with this, the panel ( battery tray above) hasn't been pulled out properly so they've filled it with seam sealer, complete water trap as it sits right behind the rear wheel and I'm sure it won't be long before it cracks.

I don't know what it is with me and body shops as I'm yet to find one with high standards, people say I'm just being silly but most of them don't know what it's cost to have done. I've paid for show quality and in my eyes what I have wouldn't even be fit for an insurance job.

All I really want to do at the moment is sell it once it's completed.

That's about it, good to get that off my chest.

Rant over and thanks for listening. :thumbs:
Mark.