1933 Chevrolet Master Eagle

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Phil P

1933 Chevrolet Master Eagle

#1 Post by Phil P » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:35 am

I am just completing rewiring a 1933 Chevrolet Master Eagle. It has taken me for ever though the guy that owns it does not understand why. The wiring loom was the original and totally shot/serious fire risk. All the insulation had hardened and crumbled away. Over the years it had been cut and redone. I tried to copy it but finally gave and went back to wiring it from scratch. Various problems arose such as the light switch had half the screws missing so connections had been looped off others. The dip switch was jammed though I did manage to get it free and working. The horn push in the column has been broken and badly repaired the stator tube is beyond repair. I have had to mount a horn button on the column tube. When I got the loom out of the car it looked like a pile of brambles!! The car had been retrimmed fairly recently in the 'States. Sadly they had attached the trim panels to the wood trim frame through the loom!

I have tried to make the loom look original. Thanks to AES Ltd in Tenbury Wells (nice friendly folks) I have virtually achieved it. The total cost of the parts ie wire, connectors, 'P' clips and the 6 volt battery are over £200. If I charge the guy what it has actually cost me in hours I think it will be suggested that I combine sex with travel! Would I do another one? Combine sex with travel!!!!

TerryG

Re: 1933 Chevrolet Master Eagle

#2 Post by TerryG » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:51 am

Have you slipped up and told us all what one of the cars on SOS will be? ;)

Fixing other peoples fixes is always a pig of a job, after 4 years of ownership I still come across cable ties / scotch locks / twisted joins in my loom.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

vulgalour

#3 Post by vulgalour » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:15 pm

That does sound rather nightmarish and makes some of the wiring bodges I've come across seem but minor inconveniences by comparison. SOS is brilliant too, a proper car enthusiast programme, I just wish there were more episodes.

Phil P

#4 Post by Phil P » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 pm

No this isn't a Car SOS project this is a customer of the workshop where it is filmed. I was asked if I would be interested in doing it and I said yes. Sometimes you wish you had stopped and thought about it before answering!!

TerryG

#5 Post by TerryG » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:30 pm

but if you had said no regardless of how much of a PITA it is, you wouldn't be able to say you had worked on one.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Phil P

#6 Post by Phil P » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:07 am

There are somethings you should not admit to!