My 'modified' 1972 Rover P6 3500

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
damianz28

My 'modified' 1972 Rover P6 3500

#1 Post by damianz28 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:28 am

Hi, this is my project Rover P6, had it since May 2010, been a running restoration, all work caried out by myself inlcuding the body n paint in good old cellulose, sprayed two panels at a time in my single garage.
Much work competed in the last three years, shell is now solid, replaced all four wings, bonnet, front/rear valences.
Inner wings had all rust cut out, welded in new sections as required.
Front & rear suspension stripped/painted & fully poly bushed.

Engine: 55k mile SD1 block, new rear oil seal, P6 timing cover, Upgraded Reel Steal oil pump kit
3.9 Heads, 3.9 camshaft, new lifters, rocker arms/shafts, new push rods and new uprated timing chain & gears
Mallory electronic distributor with resistor & upgraded coil.
Electronic SU fuel pump and header tank for the radiator.
Current trans is BW35 autobox but have the LT77 5spd SD1 manual box that came with the engine to swap out over the autum/winter months.
Lowered suspension with US Cragar 7x15" alloys, slight D-Post modications to the rear but oherwise that was it, new rear gas adjustable shocks.
Body de-badged, red rear indicators, USA style No plates, hotrod blue dots in the reflectors.
A few pics, more to follow with the build & when I start the gear box swap. cheers for now Damian
May 2010:

May 2011
May 2013

rich.

Re: My 'modified' 1972 Rover P6 3500

#2 Post by rich. » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:41 am

Nice :drool:

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:34 pm

Very. :drool: :thumbs: Almond P6s for the heat win but sexy Red ones for the series trophy.

Great choice of wheels too, these look like they were born there.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mach1rob

#4 Post by mach1rob » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:03 pm

:drool: Hubba hubba! Now that is really rather nice, and I kinda wish my old P6 looked like that :thumbs:

suffolkpete

#5 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Lovely piece of work, but your rear indicators are illegal.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

damianz28

#6 Post by damianz28 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for the nice feed back guys, I did consider repanting in the baby poo almond with maybe red leather, but the Rover Monza Red won the vote! I'd like to re-do it in 2-pac as cellulose can be a tad brittle and its sunk slightly in the rear door bottoms, I did think of changing the whole car to a light metallic blue with black vinal roof and webasto sunfroof, but that would be when I won the lotto! :D

Yeah I know the rear indicatiors are illegal but I love em! 8-) I'm a big fan of the late 60's muscle cars and HotRods, hence the USA plates, red lenses & the Cragar wheels.
I know its not to everyones taste but then I like to a bit different so when I bought the car I new exactly how I wanted it to look as no one has modified a Rover P6 before that I new of.

It makes a change to see this at a show where all the other Rovers look the same, equallly as nice but standard. Please dont even think of saying a boot mounted spare or mudflaps, AA badges would look period LOL, cant have it looking a pub landlords car from 1975 ;)

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:08 pm

damianz28 wrote:Yeah I know the rear indicatiors are illegal but I love em! 8-) I'm a big fan of the late 60's muscle cars and HotRods, hence the USA plates, red lenses & the Cragar wheels.
I know its not to everyones taste but then I like to a bit different so when I bought the car I new exactly how I wanted it to look as no one has modified a Rover P6 before that I new of.
I wouldn't worry as long as you like it. It looks like a serious beast. At least you haven't taken the rover badges off and put transformers ones on ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

damianz28

#8 Post by damianz28 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:10 pm

Ha ha, now that would be childish! I do have the orange lenses in the glove box incase the dibble pull me!

Roesrover

#9 Post by Roesrover » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Fantastic job mate. I'm in the throes of doing a resto on my 71 v8 auto. If I get it anywhere near the standard of your one i'll be more than happy!

damianz28

#10 Post by damianz28 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Roesrover, thanks for your nice comments :) do you have a thread with your project?
yes I very pleased with the car so far, I'm in the middle of doing a gearbox swap, removed the BW35 autobox to replace it with a SD1 LT77 5spd manual version, will make a vast improvement, should be a bit better MPH ish...and a tad faster, oh and will sound better 8-)
While the box, prop shaft and middle box are off the car, I've removed the old underseal, cleaned up the floor pans, red oxided them and will spray on some UPOL blk stone chip, its the proper industrial stuff that actually goes semi hard, very tough finish, over this I'll paint a protective blk paint.
For the LT77 box I'll replace the input/output shaft seals/gaskets, rubber bushes on the remote gear linkage. New master/slave cylinders, new performance AP performance clutch plate/ pressure plate and new release bearing. For the clutch pedal I've got the pedal box from a 2200 P6 with the smaller brake pedal, I'll mount the master cylinder next to the brake master cylinder and have the push rod running along side the brake pedal push rod, a friend has this style of conversion and works really well. It'll be much easier than trying to locate the master cylinder in the same place as the manual 3500S model.
I''ll add pictures as I go.
Cheers Damian