Vulgalour's Vehicles - 10/03 Ignition Switch Woe

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Richard Moss

Re: Austin Morris Princess X2

#21 Post by Richard Moss » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:21 am

TerryG wrote:Isn't it possible to convert to EAS or springs? I realise that would rather affect the ride quality but it would save the car if spares aren't available.
It should be possible - coil spring systems are available for Metros and are also used on Midases (is that the correct plural?).

JPB

#22 Post by JPB » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 am

Metros' front bottles are directly above the link so it's easier there, the rears on Midas cars - he wrote, dodging the semantics patter - work as they do on modified minis; no subframe and a different layout that accommodates Peugeot 405-style bell crank suspension.
ADO71 has its units mounted in such a way that there's nowhere to place steel springs between the links and areas of the shell that could bear the loads. Before disassembling and remanufacturing the Hydragas units, the concept was considered for all of ten minutes by the club that commisioned the modified units but the amount of structural mods required to load the shell in that way would take the car well out of the scope of the term "Practical Classic". ;)

However, if you fitted some steel soil pipes under the floors, front to rear, then there may be room for a 2CV-style interconnected coil spring setup with the pipes containing the damping weights. All pointless as existing Hydragas units can be rebuilt for less time than it would take to do something as radical - as any of that - to the shell.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

vulgalour

#23 Post by vulgalour » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:23 pm

Yeah... I think I can happily say I'm sticking to the suspension the way BL intended, I like my comfort far too much to mess around with it. If I need to, I'll get the spheres upgraded but I'm not fannying about with coil springs, I'm perfectly happy not to have such antiquated technology :lol: Really, leaf springs, coil springs, telescopic shock absorbers... what you want is a mysterious bottle of fluid that makes even the worst maintained road feel as smooth and luxurious as a shagpile hearth rug.
---
It's Sunday, and it's been a stunner of a day. Clearly, tinkering with cars is the only thing anyone ought to be doing on a day like this. Given the recent success of a wooden steering wheel I'm restoring I felt confident to tackle the walnut veneered insert on the dashboard of the HLS. I was going to strip the HL down too, but that doesn't look like it really needs doing so it can stay as is for now.

The procedure for removing the dashboard is actually pretty straightforward until you get to unplugging things. Once the top trim rail is removed - just snaps into place on metal clips - it's a case of locating the various screws and just undoing them then reaching behind the dash and unplugging relevant wires and cables. The only issue I had was that one of the heater control knobs had paper wedged inside it and wouldn't come free without considerable effort but after that it was plain sailing and I had the unit out in one lump. I'm fairly certain that on the HL the instruments all stayed attached to the main dash rather than coming out with this part so perhaps the HLS was built slightly differently on this front.

This also gave me a chance to have a look behind the dash at the wiring as I wasn't sure what wildlife, if any, had been living in there. Just spiders, as it happens, and on the whole the wiring is in pretty good fettle. I though the radio was an original jobby, it certainly looked right for the car, but it turns out it was housing the only bit of dodgy wiring and is actually from an Allegro that might have been called Flipper.

The factory connector block for the radio just had the wires shown above twisted and pushed into the relevant holes. Any spare holes have matchsticks wedged into them. So we'll be putting that right before the radio goes back in then. There's lacquer lift in all the usual places on the wooden insert.

This chip is the worst bit of damage, funnily enough the HL has a similar chip in the same location. I'll fill and paint it to match the wood as best I can before revarnishing the insert.

With all the plastic exterior trim stripped off it's not a huge amount of work to redo as there's not a great deal of wood to have to fart about with. I'll be very careful as the veneer looks to be exceptionally thin but all being well it'll come up better than new.

I found that the choke telltale filter is missing completely, I had hoped it would be hiding in the dashboard. There is a hazard filter but it looks for all the world like it's from a different car. I'll probably just use appropriately coloured sweet wrappers or something until I can find a new pair of appropriately coloured filters so I don't get dazzled by the telltale lights.

vulgalour

#24 Post by vulgalour » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:35 pm

Look, no hands! How did I fix this? I took off a boot ram and refitted it and now it works. I don't know how or why, but I'm happy it works now and a free repair is always a welcome one.

While the boot is open, here's the rear light cluster covers I stole from the HLS. I could do with another set really, but I've had no joy getting hold of a set yet.

The only other thing I did today was to give the car a clean inside and out. Taking pictures of interiors is not easy.

Exteriors are much easier. I'm wondering what to do with the bonnet, I think I'm bored of it looking tatty now and have been considering giving it a coat of beige just to tidy things up. Opinions?

When I remember to, that grille badge is coming off again for a bit. Fancy a change back to the cleaner not-badged grille Happily, I made it so that this would be very easy to do.

mach1rob

#25 Post by mach1rob » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:11 pm

From what I remember from my old HL, the dials all stayed attached when you removed the dash, but refitting everything, especially the rubber boots between bulbs and warning lens on dash was a right PITA!

Here's a little something the HLS should have had as standard!

vulgalour

#26 Post by vulgalour » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I'm told the rev gauge is a straight swap item from the Allegro. It's tempting, I have to admit, but I'm so used to not having a car with a rev gauge that when I drive one that does have one I forget to use it completely.

JPB

#27 Post by JPB » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:05 pm

On the one hand, I do like a tacho but equally, if your ears don't tell you that you just exceeded the point at which your engine's titties are officially screwed off then you need some hearing aids.
:mrgreen:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mach1rob

#28 Post by mach1rob » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:29 pm

It's not a simple swap, it needs some jiggery pokery to make it all fit, but nothing some sticky backed plastic and an old toilet roll tube won't sort in bestest Blue Peter fashion. :)

Starr1945

#29 Post by Starr1945 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:13 am

Refering to the number of Princess (Wedge) cars surviving you are probably unaware that a few exist in Australia. Probably 5.I have one, a 1979 2000LT HL which is still quite roadworthy with minimal traces of rust. I have just reconditioned the rear gas displacers using the method mentioned here on this topic. Worked well but now I realise the fronts need doing as well as it sits a bit low and has a firm ride. I used 170 Psi attempting to use nitrogen but releasing the fitting you lose some pressure. I ended up using compressed air. There is a better way to charge the gas units using nitrogen. There is a fitting that is fitted by threading the gas bowl and screwing this fitting in with sealing. This fitting is used to charge nitrogen filled shock absorbers and basically has a silicon diaphram that a hollow needle can push through. The silicon collapses and seals when the needle is removed. Here are some photos of my car. I will post photos of the rear suspension work later on.
Attachments
DSCN0007RS2.jpg
DSCN0007RS2.jpg (82.82 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
DSCN0006RS2.jpg
DSCN0006RS2.jpg (78.24 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
DSCN0004RS2.jpg
DSCN0004RS2.jpg (75.56 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
DSCN0002RS2.jpg
DSCN0002RS2.jpg (89.1 KiB) Viewed 1907 times

vulgalour

#30 Post by vulgalour » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Right, I'm blaming you lot, you've all cursed me or something with all this talk of suspension. :roll:

Balls balls balls balls balls.

Happened between 10am and noon, I'm reliably informed by my Dad. He said there was a little puddle and no list when he went out and a wonky car when he came back. Did I say balls yet?

Looks like it's burst a sphere but not the one I expected it to if it were going to.

So... I now have to find someone willing and able to modify the sphere as I'm pretty sure I haven't the tools to DIY.

Balls.

Nice to see the HL's Australian cousin though, looks lovely and tidy does that.