Alvis TA-14 restoration story so far

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
pryantcc

Re: Alvis TA-14 restoration story so far

#21 Post by pryantcc » Sun May 08, 2011 9:59 pm

Mash wrote: Did you have the badge re-enamelled?
Hello Matt! Yes, my wife got the badge restored for me as my wedding present from her! :D It looks like they re-chromed it, and then did new enamel, although the enamel ight be some kind of resin these days, I'm not sure! It was done through Red Triangle. I couldn't bring myself to pay for it for such a small thing, but my Mrs isn't quite as mean as me!!

pryantcc

#22 Post by pryantcc » Fri May 20, 2011 10:20 am

I've been a bit rubbish at photographing the stripping and painting process, but here's what I've got! I wanted to take everything back to bare metal just so that I'd know what's under the paint. So far, there have been no nasty suprises. The bonnet and front wings are made from steel, the remainder of the body from aluminium. The Alloy sections have some filler on them (not sure at what stage it was applied) and this is covered in a primer which has been on there for about 20 years.
My tactic with the alloy is to strip it using paint stripper. This is slow, but effective. I started with the boot door and number plate surround, but didn't remember photos. Then I did both doors.

Boot door & number plate surround:

De-rusting bath:

Some damage on one of the doors:
Last edited by pryantcc on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luxobarge

#23 Post by Luxobarge » Fri May 20, 2011 10:45 am

Excellent stuff, keep it up.

Just out of interest, what method/process are you using to get the steel parts back to bare metal - for example, you seem to have done a lovely job on that number plate surround, how was it done?

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

pryantcc

#24 Post by pryantcc » Fri May 20, 2011 10:51 am

I spent quite a lot of time rebuilding the little curved protrusion which runs along the door. Both ends of it were damaged. I don't have pics of course! It worked out well though.
I was using an infra-red heat lamp to help the paint to flash-off. It was pretty rubbish, so I'm restricting my painting to sunny days now as that has given me the best results by far. Everything is just being primed at the moment and stored in the house once it's done!

Door with heat lamp!

I then started on the rear wings. These are the first curved things I've done. It has taken several attempts, but I'm quite happy with how they have now turned out.

I basically plastered them with filler and spent a long time sanding!
Last edited by pryantcc on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pryantcc

#25 Post by pryantcc » Fri May 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Excellent stuff, keep it up.

Just out of interest, what method/process are you using to get the steel parts back to bare metal - for example, you seem to have done a lovely job on that number plate surround, how was it done?

Cheers :D
Hi Luxobarge,
Every bit of steel the size of that numberplate thing and smaller has been wire brushed (on a grinder), then degreased either with fairy liquid washing, or diesel first, then Fairy. Then bilt-Hamber de-rusting bath with periodic removal and scrubbing with a wire brush or scouring pad. Then etch primed & coated with Frost Chassis Black.

You're a continual sourrce of encouragement, by the way, thanks!!!

Paul.

JPB

#26 Post by JPB » Fri May 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Wow, that sounds like a labour-intensive process but the results speak for themselves.
I've spent three from the last four days scrubbing every last bit of factory paint from the sills and arches on the Dolomite - as a fair bit of gravel rash had occurred over the last winter - and know how bloody hard it is, so well done, you're an inspiration to a great many people methinks. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

pryantcc

#27 Post by pryantcc » Fri May 20, 2011 2:22 pm

JPB wrote:Wow, that sounds like a labour-intensive process but the results speak for themselves.
I've spent three from the last four days scrubbing every last bit of factory paint from the sills and arches on the Dolomite - as a fair bit of gravel rash had occurred over the last winter - and know how bloody hard it is, so well done, you're an inspiration to a great many people methinks. :)
Thanks JPB. My motivation is a bit of a contradiction. I'm doing the very best job I can because I hate doing it! I couldn't stand having to do it again, it's such a tedious and time-consuming process!
Hopefully it'll be right first time!

I feel your pain with the scrubbing, I've actually injured my shoulder from sanding! I have to try to keep my shoulder still now & sand from the elbow! Blood, sweat and tears! :D

JPB

#28 Post by JPB » Fri May 20, 2011 5:29 pm

pryantcc wrote:My motivation is a bit of a contradiction. I'm doing the very best job I can because I hate doing it!
I can relate to that attitude completely. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

pryantcc

#29 Post by pryantcc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:24 pm

The rear wings have had their final primer and have been sanded back with 800 grit wet & dry and are ready for a colour coat now once I can decide on a colour!

I have started on the bonnet. It comes in 4 sections. Many years ago, the car had been stored with a blanket over the bonnet which caused much rustiness. Before I got the car, somebody had filled and primed the outer surface of the panels, but nothing more. By the time I got them, there was rust coming through in spots. So many people said "Just give it a quick rub & clean them off before painting, it'll be fine!" I have a massive fear of rust though, so I started to srip one of the panels back & I'm glad I did. Rust was rampant!

Because of the heavily pitted nature of the surface and the size of the panels, I wasn't happy just wire brushing them, nor did I want to try to make a big de-rusting bath, so I had them blasted. I won't know for certain for a couple of decades, but for now, this seems to have been a great move. I got the panels back a week later all blasted and etch primed.

Then the process starts of filling in all the pitting before painting.

And now another coat of etch primer:

A fabulous sunny day is forecast tomorrow, so I have taken the day off work and intend to spray a great deal of high-build primer. Fingers crossed!!
Last edited by pryantcc on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pryantcc

#30 Post by pryantcc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:19 pm

pryantcc wrote: A fabulous sunny day is forecast tomorrow, so I have taken the day of work and intend to spray a great deal of high-build primer. Fingers crossed!!
DISASTER!!! Well, problems at least, if not disaster. I was spraying away merrily & suddenly BANG! The hose blew off the end of the spray gun & whipped around on the bonnet. I now have two new dents to fill where the Jubilee clip made impact & a heap of sanding to get rid of the marks left from where the hose smacked the panel! The hose has been stuck to that fitting for more than 5 years & chose today to let go! I think it wsa down to the hot weather, I noticed the air line got much more flexible than usual in the heat. Ah well, onwards and upwards.......