kevin s's blog

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
kstrutt1

Re: kevin s's blog

#381 Post by kstrutt1 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 pm

Spent the weekend moving the cars around, the minor is now in the corner and the tr and lotus above and below the ramp, during this for the first time I was also able to get the range rover up on the ramp, main reason was to stone chip paint the repaired rear arches so they are now all done.

I also had a good look underneath, much as I suspected the front of the sill are quite heavily patched, so I will chop the first 8 inches if the inner sill and body mounts out and replace the lot, the Inboard mounts are also a mass of filler, I think I should be able to drill the spot welds out from inside the footwell and plugweld the new mounting on.

On the mecanical side the only issue I can see is an oil leak from the trans oil cooler pipes, they seem to have been fitted to the pipes with jubilee clips, I imagine originally they were crimped on, so I will try replacing these with crimps.

Classic Microcars

#382 Post by Classic Microcars » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:12 am

There is no great pressure throughthe oil cooler pipes. Maybe the clips are distorted and not sealing correctly?

kstrutt1

#383 Post by kstrutt1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:07 pm

Good to know thanks,

It does look like they may have used oversize jubilee clips and wound them right down, i didnt try tightening them for fear they may break, i will try when i have some time to fix it if anyfhing goes wrong.

TerryG

#384 Post by TerryG » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:11 pm

The oil cooler pipes on a Range Rover have ends like this:

2 for the gearbox if its an auto, 2 for the engine oil.
There are some nice brackets which hold them in pairs and keep them from rattling around.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

kstrutt1

#385 Post by kstrutt1 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:13 pm

It is the trans cooler pipes as shown, for some reason the front of the rubber hose has been cut off and re-fitted with jubilee clips the metal part of the pipes looks perfect though, if the worse comes to the worse I will take them to the local hydraulic place and get new rubber sections crimped in.

TerryG

#386 Post by TerryG » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:04 pm

When they fail, they fail where the hose is crimped to the pipe so if they had gone at some point in the past, a cheap fix would be some coolant hose and jubilee clips to bridge them.
I couldn't get factory ones (they are available but nobody had stock at the time) so i fitted Britpart when i did my engine swap and that was about 40,000 miles ago.

suffolkpete

#387 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:41 am

TerryG wrote:When they fail, they fail where the hose is crimped to the pipe so if they had gone at some point in the past, a cheap fix would be some coolant hose and jubilee clips to bridge them.
The oil would attack coolant hoses, you would need fuel or oil-rated hoses, a good supplier will sell it by the metre.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

TerryG

#388 Post by TerryG » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 pm

Sorry if that came across as a suggested fix, it is from experience having seen them bodged that way numerous times. The correct hoses are cheap and readily available so replacing them with the correct parts is always the way to go.
The pic i posted is from rimmer brothers who have all the parts in stock.

suffolkpete

#389 Post by suffolkpete » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:06 pm

My irony filter must have been turned off :)
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

kstrutt1

#390 Post by kstrutt1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:30 pm

Its still the original hose because it is still crimped on the gearbox end.the previous owner had quite a bit of work done on the cooling system and this seems to have been a shortcut when removing the radiator.