1965 singer vogue recomission

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
tractorman

Re: new here and with a great find

#31 Post by tractorman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:01 pm

I try to keep the plates that came with the machines if possible (though there was a front plate on the small tractor and it had been butchered to fit a weight frame). Even if they weren't fitted from new, they are a part of the car's history and an unmolested and genuine car like this one deserves to show that.

OK, if they are only a year or two old and have the GB badge, "Smiff's Tyres" and their post code on them, then I'd sling the horrible things and fit something more in keeping with the car.

I confess that I rarely saw a car with reflective plates before about 1968 but, by the early 70's, there were lots of local cars of all ages with them! Indeed, my own '65 Hornet had reflective ones by 1972 and they were perfect when I scrapped it a year later!

kevin

#32 Post by kevin » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:13 am

never even considered the plates to be honest.
i have some pictures of the car in the 60s and 70s coming when the widow of the previous (and only) owner feels she can look at them without being so upset so i will see what she had back in the day and go from there.
need to get hold of a paintwork guru who is into older car and get some advice on where to go to refurb the paintwork, absolutely no rust which is a bonus but there are a few areas (bonnet mainly) that need attention to get her in the condition i want.
brightwork is fantastic, just needs a good polish (wheel trims are in the boot)
made my wife snigger last night, waited for it to get dark then went out and switched all the lights on just to see what was working (interior really). all working and looks great..sat there for a while listening to eric clapton on the 8 track....love this car even more now shes home

kev

kstrutt1

#33 Post by kstrutt1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 pm

One of the smart repair guys may be able to help otherwise you will have problems finding a professional who will spray the original cellulose paint nowdays, you could always buy a a small compressor and gun (around £100) and do it yourself, painting indiviual panels is a good place to start and cellulose is easy to work with.

Kevin

kevin

#34 Post by kevin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:06 am

kstrutt1 wrote:One of the smart repair guys may be able to help otherwise you will have problems finding a professional who will spray the original cellulose paint nowdays, you could always buy a a small compressor and gun (around £100) and do it yourself, painting indiviual panels is a good place to start and cellulose is easy to work with.

Kevin

ive got a great compressor set up already but as the temps drop i fear it will be too cold in the garage for paintwork over winter. one paint forum ive been lurking on suggests that as shes rust free, a blocking coat over the current paint and the 2 pack with a matting agent would give good results? i may get a few old panels off ebay and have a trial.
going to stop worrying about the paint for now and concentrate on getting her roadworthy before the salt hits the roads.

thanks

kev

kstrutt1

#35 Post by kstrutt1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:53 pm

Depends on what the issues are, blisters or paint lifting will need it stripping back to bare metal, if it is just surface damage a isolator may work, I have always had good results with barcoat then cellulose.

kevin

#36 Post by kevin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:32 pm

kstrutt1 wrote:Depends on what the issues are, blisters or paint lifting will need it stripping back to bare metal, if it is just surface damage a isolator may work, I have always had good results with barcoat then cellulose.
gave her the first wash since she was stored back in the 80s.
the problem with the paint (localised only to the bonnet and top of front wings) is in the very top coat. the previous (and only other owner) was a serial tinkerer..hence all the cavities being filled up with old oil etc..great for preservation and has resulted in a rust free car..however i digress, i think he has blown a few areas over with some paint but didnt have a filter on the gun, resulting in small blisters in the top coat.
my current plan is to rub back these areas, apply a bar/barrier coat and reapply the top coats. that will suffice for a few years im sure. the rest of the panels will come up just fine with a good (gentle) machine polish.

kev

kevin

#37 Post by kevin » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:36 pm

so, after going shopping with wifey i decided to have a bit of tinker time with cilla the singer.
decided, seeing as dinner isnt till 7pm to have a look at what was involved in dropping the engine oil.
at this point, i realized what a complete lack of imperial tools i have, inc hex sump plug sockets (are these available in sets like the metric ones are?)
so, one thing led to another and the oil got dropped and the cartridge spin on filter removed, replaced with a fresh one followed by a gallon(ish) is nice fresh oil (good old fashioned mineral oil that my mate gets me by the 25ltr from his garage). i may swap to some fancier oil once shes had a few flushes. she sounded nice before i dd this but the engine is so sweet now!
a few items were left in the glove box, ths is one of them:

kev

kevin

#38 Post by kevin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:59 pm

rebuilt my brake master cylinder, luckily the bore was like new so repainted it monday night.
got home from work today and the rebuild kit ordered yesturday from powertrack had turned up. straight forward rebuild, fitted to the car and bled up with the easibleed...bit of a better pedal but i suspect leaky seals elsewhere. system will be fully stripped and rebuild inc fitting a new (genuine) lockheed remote servo in place of the girling powerstop.
great service from these guys

http://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/brakes.html

kevin

#39 Post by kevin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:00 pm

ordered a full rebuild kit for the complete braking system (inc a brand new, uk made lockheed remote servo - there are cheaper ones available but made in china) so that was £300
ordered a set of tyres and tubes from vintage tyres, went for the maxxis with the white band for a bit of swank. great price and an extra 10% off with a code they emailed me. another £280
http://www.vintagetyres.com/
oh, the 2 quarter light seals turned up from oz, great service there too.
just need to make a start on the refurb now.

kev

JPB

#40 Post by JPB » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Wow! That's what I call commitment. :D

Just the one thing though, why the inner tubes? Please check and double check before using these, even with tube-type tyres, on a car whose rims are intended for tubeless tyres only. The result of mixing the types can be nasty. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: