1965 singer vogue recomission

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
kevin

Re: 1965 singer vogue recomission

#271 Post by kevin » Fri May 09, 2014 7:47 pm

zipgun wrote:4" tailpipe next 8-) :lol: and get one of those things that go PISHHHHHHHHHHHH when you change gear !
Theres a thought!
If I have no luck with obtaining a filter housing, I may just get one that I can fit the K&N inside? so it looks classic but works!

Kev

zipgun

#272 Post by zipgun » Fri May 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Thats a good idea , hey , you did get all those drilling chips out of the K&N housing??

kevin

#273 Post by kevin » Fri May 09, 2014 8:16 pm

No drilling swarf there, bits of car cardboard dust perhaps that were blasted away with the airline.
All swarf was cleaned off on the bench, well away from the carb.

Kev

JPB

#274 Post by JPB » Fri May 09, 2014 9:39 pm

That's more like the job! ;) Tip: Don't be tempted to save money by using gear oil on the element. "a friend" :oops: :( once did that instead of using Castrol R or something more suitable (like the K&N branded oil) and the car protested most violently.
I always used R in K&Ns (and other oil bath filters such as the more traditional one in my S2 Land Rover recovery tug of years ago) as it leaves that lovely smell behind if you overload it slightly. I was younger and less sensible. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#275 Post by kevin » Sat May 10, 2014 7:47 am

JPB wrote:That's more like the job! ;) Tip: Don't be tempted to save money by using gear oil on the element. "a friend" :oops: :( once did that instead of using Castrol R or something more suitable (like the K&N branded oil) and the car protested most violently.
I always used R in K&Ns (and other oil bath filters such as the more traditional one in my S2 Land Rover recovery tug of years ago) as it leaves that lovely smell behind if you overload it slightly. I was younger and less sensible. :|
The filter came with a container of the K&N branded oil (how kind eh)
I always have a litre of castrol 'R' in the garage, a capful in the petrol mower etc give a lovely motorsport smell to the garden duties :lol: , reminds me of racing classic bikes back in the day too.

Kev

JPB

#276 Post by JPB » Sat May 10, 2014 10:49 am

Well I've a good mind to write one of those "I think you'll find..." letters to the makers of the K&Ns now as the last pair I bought came without the oil! :( OK, so this omission gave me an excuse to use Castrol R and go around leaving that most gorgeous of smells in the car's wake - up to the point where the excess had been consumed - but there can be no doubt that the official product is bound to be the best for the job. No idea what I'd do with the stuff now though, since the car was sold in 2011 and nothing I currently own has a K&N fitted. Damn! I must be getting old.
K&N, you owe me a tiny quantity of something that's probably not suitable for clocks. :|
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#277 Post by kevin » Mon May 19, 2014 5:20 pm

You may have seen my other post regarding fuel hose (or as those in the old school say 'petrol pipe')
Called in Demon Tweeks on the way home tonight to get some Goodrich hose, unfortunately they were out of stock, not a total loss however as they had some ethanol proof standard hose. Bought a length, along with a new fuel filter and some hose clips, previously I used genuine jubilee clips but I think they havnt helped the old hose split and break down.
Got home and made a start.
This is how the old (new) pipe had deteriorated after just a few months:

And this is the new set up:

Whilst under the bonnet I decided to check the newly fitted, new carb.
The car is running much better with it but not spot on. Got the manual out and checked the factory spec jets.
Pulled the jets out one by one and found them to be different from the spec. Got the old carb out and did the same process. All the jets in the old carb were correct to spec so I changed them into the new carb body.
Running much better again, the only ones I didnt change were the air correction jets. The old ones are a small length that screw into the top of the emulsion tubes, the new ones fit into the tubes the same but are long, much like a football airline adapter. Size 190 jets in the later shape are unavailable now.
I may change them this weekend and see if they work.
The car is running slightly rich when out on the road, not excessively so but the bigger jet may weaken her slightly, dont want to go too lean as that will cause damage.
(pulled a plug when i got home from a test run, nice brown ceramic insulator but slightly black tip)
Any solex twin choke experts on the forum?

Kev

zipgun

#278 Post by zipgun » Tue May 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Must be a shortage of air filter boxes ???
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-Vogue- ... _248wt_958

kevin

#279 Post by kevin » Tue May 20, 2014 8:01 pm

zipgun wrote:Must be a shortage of air filter boxes ???
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Singer-Vogue- ... _248wt_958
Loads of housings, just no source of filter elements for the earlier type such as mine.

Kev

kevin

#280 Post by kevin » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:23 pm

So following yesterdays successful reliability trials, I thought I would have a check over things for a few hours.
The weather today was utterly rubbish so great excuse for spending it in the garage :D
First on the 'to do list' was to re-torque the wheel nuts, I had reservations about having the wheels powder coated due to a few stories I had heard about the nuts coming loose. Pleased to report that all was fine.
Next up was a tidy up of some wiring under the bonnet, taking out the remnants of the old lucas electronic ignition and its various add ons. Much neater now.
Decided that next on the list was the rocker cover gasket. There was (may still be :lol: ) an oil weep from the cover at the rear. Whipped the cover off, plenty of residue on the inside so that went in the parts washer.
Once it had soaked for a while, I cleaned the inside with a brillo pad followed by a good rinse. Prepped the 2 mating surfaces and fitted a new cork gasket, using some grease as a sealant. Had a bit of a wipe around the engine, looks a lot cleaner but havnt removed the patina or over polished stuff.

After having a break to put a curtain pole and curtains up in my sons bedroom, I had a bit of a hoover and polish session on the interior. Smells fab and looks lovely. Such a nice place to be.

Weather dependant, I may give her a wash and wax tomorrow in preparation for next weeks Clwyd veteran and Vintage show near Oswestry, Any1 else attending?

http://www.cvvms.co.uk/next_show.htm

Kev