1965 singer vogue recomission

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
kevin

Re: 1965 singer vogue recomission

#281 Post by kevin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:10 pm

Bit more cleaning today (not much though) before I was out and about in the Singer. Needed some fuel so went to the local station and filed up with some higher grade fuel, must say the engine really loves it!! very very smooth.

Not as long a jaunt today, but still managed 50 miles, absolutely loving it..took advantage for a a quick picture

Decided to start getting ready for next weeks vintage show, Cool box out of the loft along with 2 deck chairs. Went to put them in the boot..chairs are too big, so a purchase is in order sometime this week.

Great day all in all

Kev

JPB

#282 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:12 pm

chairs are too big, so a purchase is in order
:idea:

Desmo, circa 1963-1971. Go on, you know it makes sense! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#283 Post by kevin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:17 pm

JPB wrote:
chairs are too big, so a purchase is in order
:idea:

Desmo, circa 1963-1971. Go on, you know it makes sense! ;)
Ive been sorely tempted a few time John, would look good with some period suitcases too?

Kev

JPB

#284 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:29 pm

Absolutely. In fact it's pretty much essential to carry stuff if you have a roof rack as otherwise, they make the most annoying howl as you drive and the air plays a tune on their various tubes. But a couple of period Antler or similar cases, a deck chair or two and a bit of lunch in a wicker basket soon stops that. The one potential pitfall being that the VW crowd has seen to it that old cases have become trendy, so are less cheap than they were a few years ago but what price your own little piece of 1965? 8-)
Of course you could buy modern tripod chairs that fold into a little sleeve no bigger than the average bathing bag but deckchairs are well worth the hassle for the comfort, IMHO.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#285 Post by tractorman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Argh!!!!

Get a nice car and ruin the gutters with a roof rack?!! I suspect moderators would have heart attacks if I wrote what I thought of that idea :evil:

kevin

#286 Post by kevin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:50 pm

tractorman wrote:Argh!!!!

Get a nice car and ruin the gutters with a roof rack?!! I suspect moderators would have heart attacks if I wrote what I thought of that idea :evil:
Thats the reason ive not done it terry.
smaller deck chairs are the solution here

Kev

kevin

#287 Post by kevin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Finished work handy today so decided to finish a few jobs off.
First up was a new breather pipe from the petrol tank (from the filler neck and through the boot floor). Had to order some as it was a size I didnt have, all done and even put a dab of tiger seal on the internal to make sure it was a good seal.
Next up was a good vacuum, followed by a wipe over of the seats, they have been cleaned previously but got grubby due to me jumping in and out during the ignition problem period.
Lastly, had a revisit to the front quarter light rubber seals. The old ones were perished beyond use, the new ones (all the way from OZ) were decent quality rubber but a crap fit. Fitted them as best I could a few months ago, they were water tight but the wind noise was very apparent.
Ive left them until now to let things bed in. Got my plastic spatula like tool and teased the edge around the glass and chrome, to my utter delight the opening light popped right into the seal, finishing pretty much flush overall, a quick test drive (gotta take advantage eh) shows a near silent interior during driving..result...

Ordered a new chamois leather so hopefully thursday I can give her a wash and leather ready for the weekend show.
Busy tomorrow night but free wednesday so I may drop the engine oil and replace with some premium 20/50 oil Ive bought ready.

Kev

kevin

#288 Post by kevin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:56 pm

I like parcels :D

When i was having ignition problems a week or so ago, and went with the accspark distributor, sods law deemed that another option would turn up.
Did a great deal with an ebay seller (turned out to be an elderly chappie who is an enthusiast selling his stock) for a factory refurbished distributor in the correct flavor.
Whilst I not longer need it, using it will allow me to put the Vogue back to standard, inc the correct adv and retard settings.
So, the plan is to enjoy the car for a month or 2 with the accuspark fitted (to be fair, it runs really sweetly with it) then swap over to the new standard distributor and see how it runs with that fitted. I aim to try it for a while with the points set-up then convert to an electronic set up, similar to the Britpart set up.
That should give me a really stable set-up plus a great spare as back up.

Kev

Luxobarge

#289 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Kev - keep an eye on that rotor arm, it looks to me very much like one of the cheapy carp Chinese ones that have given so much grief to so many people - if you get any "no spark" problems (intermittent or otherwise), that would be my first suspect, and it'd be a shame if that issue confused any experimenting with different distributors!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

kevin

#290 Post by kevin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:08 pm

Luxobarge wrote:Kev - keep an eye on that rotor arm, it looks to me very much like one of the cheapy carp Chinese ones that have given so much grief to so many people - if you get any "no spark" problems (intermittent or otherwise), that would be my first suspect, and it'd be a shame if that issue confused any experimenting with different distributors!

Cheers :D
Ah ha, got a brand new distributor doctor red one and a new cap too :0)

Kev