1965 singer vogue recomission

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: new here and with a great find

#11 Post by JPB » Sun May 12, 2013 10:34 pm

arceye wrote:I have to say that really is nice, and a proper survivor by the looks of things, always nice to find a well cared for and unbutchered classic.

Hope you enjoy her / him, has it got a name yet? (yes I'm sad that way :oops: )
Nothing wrong with naming a car. That statement does not constitute a confession but..... :oops:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

tractorman

#12 Post by tractorman » Mon May 13, 2013 7:32 am

I think the moderators would object if I told you what names I call my cars.

Still no signs of a decent (and cheap) Minx/Vogue estate - I spent another half hour searching yesterday and only found a "G" reg Vogue Estate and the Arrow range doesn't excite me for some reason.

kevin

#13 Post by kevin » Mon May 13, 2013 10:42 am

Not got a name yet but she will have one. Plans are to get her home in dry storage the next few weeks then potter round her until after xmas. My mx can then go into hibernation untill springtime. Hopefully a thourough recomission and service will see the vogue in service

jpsh120

#14 Post by jpsh120 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm

That looks to be a good find. Nice to see another rootes vehicle saved from an uncertain future and to have a solid floorpan after all these years is a miracle!
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

kevin

#15 Post by kevin » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:09 pm

just a quick update.

been doing some research over the last few weeks into the history of my singer vogue.
i already know its history since 1967 as the man i bought it off had it since then (he died last friday which is sad) but i have managed to find out that it was owned from new by a Mr Baden Caldecott of Caldecott & Sons, Undertakers in Wrexham

http://www.funeraldirectorswrexham.co.uk/

it was his personal car. he passed away a while back unfortunately but i have spoken to his son who remembers the car and is looking for some pictures from this period..awesome

kev

kevin

#16 Post by kevin » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:35 pm

finished work handy tonight, new spark plugs and leads had been delivered so popped down to where the car is stored (same place since 1967 actually).
fitted the plugs and fitted the new leads, bought them off the interweb and i must say im not very happy with the quality so they will be a temp fitment until i can source some better ones..probably some magnacor in black.
anyways, she is now running lovely. took the air filter housing off so i could get penetrating oil on all the essential bits and pieces.
so, with her running smoothly i noticed that if i pumped the brake (automatic box here) i could get a bit of a pedal. the handbrake seemed to be working but the brakes were jammed on.
decided to chock the wheels and see if i could select drive. (car has been stored in neutral)
tentatively applied the handbrake and put her into drive, had that satisfying drop in revs and you could feel the drive selected. back into neutral and into reverse..alls well so far. ended up trying all selections and all is well.
still running lovely, into drive...brakes jammed, into reverse and drive a few times and ...forward we go...shes moving for the 1st time since 1989!!.
didnt push her too much, just up and down the yard a few times then the fuel pipe from the petrol pump to the car decided it had had enough and split..so ended the trials..great feeling and a bit closer to getting her back to my workshop in a few weeks :)

mach1rob

#17 Post by mach1rob » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:07 pm

Well done that man! Always good to find major bits are in good working order :)

kevin

#18 Post by kevin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 pm

on my project singer, first job when it gets to my garage is a complete refurb of the brake system.
repair kits are readily available, the option of some new componants is there as well.
been quoted £150 for a service kit for the girling powerstop remote servo, an exchange unit comes in at over £200.
i have seen these lockheed 'type' remote servos (mgb fitment it seems?)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-LOCKHEED- ... 48581cc96d

for the price, they seem a far better option.

any experience chaps?

kev

jpsh120

#19 Post by jpsh120 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:30 am

I have one of those servo's fitted as standard so I would have thought it would be OK for yours, as long as you can get it fitted and plumbed in OK!

Also, if you need some decent plug leads then these may be suitable. This is the same as the set I bought for mine and being NOS Lucas will be good quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150748283367? ... 1423.l2649
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

kevin

#20 Post by kevin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:14 am

cheers for the link jp, just bought them. would have preferred black but at that price i can pretend they are black.
i have spoken to paul from powertrack who seems very knowledgeable and he tells me the lockheed unit would have been the obvious choice back in the day but the previous owner probably had the girling one cheap from somewhere.
i am going to go with the lockheed one, and it wont be too hard to adapt from the current set up.
he did also advise that there are quite a few 'lockheed' type units on the market from cheaper sources but of inferior build quality so thats one to look out for

kev