1965 singer vogue recomission

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
tractorman

Re: 1965 singer vogue recomission

#291 Post by tractorman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Well bought, but I hate to say it - it's a 45D! I suspect that the car would have had a 25D as standard (the scrap '68 Rapier father bought had a 25D as did my '65 Minx). However, I think it will still look the part and do the job nicely - it's only sad people like me who will notice! Of course, if it's original Lucas (NOS), there's a good chance that the rotor arm and cap are of the original Lucas quality and not the cheap modern junk. I bought a NOS cap and rotor arm for the Fergy and it certainly worked better for them!

Glad the quarter light seals now behave properly. The Vogues were (are) a nice quiet car and the noise would certainly spoil the nice environment for all concerned!

kevin

#292 Post by kevin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:35 pm

Checked and checked and the 45d will perform just as well as the 25d, in fact i have it from a good source that they are a better distributor all round..
Just having a mooch online and found out a local LR dealer sells the britpart kit i need, get a decent discount from him too! So i may not even try it on points, just convert it.

Kev

tractorman

#293 Post by tractorman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:44 pm

It wasn't performance I was thinking about - it's "points" at shows! Yes, the 45D is a lot easier to live with (points are easier to change if nothing else), but you know how some people like to criticise anything that's not original; they would have a field day if my stuff was on show!!

I'm still more than a little jealous - even if it has a wrong dizzy!!

kevin

#294 Post by kevin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Shes no show queen, reliability and usability are my drivers.
I much prefer tootling round in her, only going to do a show or two and i do like to give the purists something to b1tch about ;0)

Kev

Luxobarge

#295 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:54 pm

kevin wrote:Ah ha, got a brand new distributor doctor red one and a new cap too :0)

Kev
Wise man! Nice one - way ahead of me eh? :D :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

JPB

#296 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:37 pm

That arm in the 45D is an o/e Indian Lucas one, so hang onto that just in case. ;)
The current Britpart kit comes with a one piece trigger assembly/rotor arm that eliminates the scatter you'd experience with one of those red Phenol-formaldehyde/Nuval arms from DD, Accuspark, Powerspark (SimonBBC), Rutherford's and other of the companies that bring these things into the UK and add their own, individual claims to have been the one that invented the rivet-free design.

Poor copy:

Late genuine Lucas:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

kevin

#297 Post by kevin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:50 pm

Thanks for that john, as i said..superior knowledge!!

Kev

JPB

#298 Post by JPB » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:47 pm

:oops: "Current" would be the better term please, Kev. Now if I could come to grips with waking up, getting to work on time and knowing what day it is without having to look it up on my watch..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Grumpy Northener

#299 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:32 am

Now if I could come to grips with waking up, getting to work on time and knowing what day it is without having to look it up on my watch..
Its nice to know that its not just me that suffers from the same disease :o
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

kevin

#300 Post by kevin » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Didnt have much planned this weekend so decided to get the Singer out as much as I could.
What I did was use the Singer as my daily driver for the weekend and I must say its been a superb and rewarding weekend with loads of miles done.
Started by going to tesco and filling up with some 99ron fuel. Only normally use the usual standard unleaded, but having used some of the 99 in my MX with great results, and having a 12p off per litre offer, though I would see how the Singer performs on it. To be fully truthful, its worth paying the extra. The car runs and performs a lot better, tick over is super smooth.
Took a few snaps.

Met this classic in asda

Stopped off at a local redevelopment of a former private school, not been there since it was converted. It seems a lovely place to live and was the home of Sir John Wynn in the 17th century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wynnstay

We then headed up and over the tops, stopping to look down over Llangollen

So, all in all a great weekend of classic motoring. The car exceeds any preconception I had and is a total joy to drive.
Booked into a small railway show with her next week, they also have a 1960s show at the end of July so I will see if I can get an invite.
Was hoping to get into the Malpas show, entries are full and to be honest the reply I had to my email was the unfriendly response I remember from when I went there years ago with a bike.

Kev