1994 Range Rover

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
TerryG

Re: 1994 Range Rover

#21 Post by TerryG » Tue May 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Still getting puddles. Next point of attack will be where my new inner wings meet the bulkhead. I can see there is some water down there along with leaves, etc so will clear those out and see if there is any rust or just poor sealing to see if that stops the leak.
This is really frustrating!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

arceye

#22 Post by arceye » Wed May 22, 2013 6:46 pm

See, thats why rangies always have holes in the floor mate, to let the water out ;)

Another place you can check if it seems elusive though possibly a long shot is from the sun roof drains assuming yours has one. The front ones run down inside the front windscreen pillars and can occasionally cause a bit of a problem. We have one here as a parts car at the moment and both the outer and inner pillar has rotted through from the inside out. Anyway, might be a long shot but worth a look if things get desperate.

TerryG

#23 Post by TerryG » Wed May 22, 2013 9:02 pm

Cheers Arceye, I have checked the sunroof drains and they are all clear and flowing OK. There are a small number of drips coming through the scuttle which means bonnet off again to check where on earth they are getting in (ARGH!) but the majority of the water on the passenger side is leaking through the seam behind the kick panel. I thought there was a "box" over that on the outside so will have to take the wing off and investigate further. I have more or less come to the conclusion that I will have to pull the dash and fix it properly rather than trying to bodge it and failing. I have never done that before so it will be interesting.
I am thinking this may end up being squeezed in to the garage and left until funds will allow for me to replace all the metal in the front end. If I find lots of corrosion (I know I will) Dave has a Disco 300 without an engine that he has stripped for parts so I may go for a nosey and see if it is solid in the places mine is rotten to cut up for repair panels.

arceye

#24 Post by arceye » Wed May 22, 2013 10:09 pm

I'm assuming yours is the soft dash Terry? While removing it would probably pinpoint the the area of ingress I wouldn't fancy pulling one in a hurry myself.

Really everything should be accesible from outside so how about scuttle panel off, wings off, check for any rust holes and then Tiger Seal every joint and seam to within an inch of their lives. Particular attention to inner wing to bulkhead joins etc. How about the box type panel on the bulkhead also where, (if it is the same as the hard dash cars) the relays sit. They have a tendency to rot out aswell.

I take it the windscreen seals look ok, they have a tendency to lift on the pillars and part from the scuttle but how much affect this has I couldn't really say.

TerryG

#25 Post by TerryG » Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 pm

It is indeed a softdash. Apparently they are quite different to the proper RRC but very similar to the Disco 300.
There are a couple of problems I know of including the scuttle itself, it is completely rotten and has been patched a couple of times and bodged with filler, fibreglass, etc. It really needs to be replaced (panel is not available so I would need a donor). To do it properly it I would have to take the dash out (and the windscreen knowing where a couple of the repaired holes are) or risk setting fire to, the sound deadening, wiring, etc. I know there have been rust holes in the bulkhead and inner wings which have been repaired. I suspect either the garage that did the repair work did not do it as well as I think they should have or they have been repaired poorly at some point in history. If I pull the door rubber off and look in the REALLY narrow gap between the dash and bodywork, I can see some quite severe rust which I am sure you can't see from the outside (from memory when I had the wings off last).

arceye

#26 Post by arceye » Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 am

Well Terry, I don't suppose the internal corrosion will get any better, so probably little point in trying to do everything from the outside only to rust through from the inside anyway.

So, I think it sounds like you have a good plan. One thing with Landies and Rangies is you can be pretty sure that whatever you are about to do, someone has already done it. So you will probably get all the info you need to remove the dash etc from the Landrover forums.

I'm looking forward to watching how this unfolds, I think if faced with a similar situation a lot of people would try and slather waxoil around the rust, leave a drain hole in the footwells, and try to forget about it. That of course doesn't work very well in the long term.

TerryG

#27 Post by TerryG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:22 pm

OK, 3 hours of swearing and now my driveway has a new ornament
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (220.01 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
I have found a couple of "small" issues that could be responsible for the lake in my footwells
nsf.jpg
nsf.jpg (215.72 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
I think I need to have the windscreen out (it's bonded so remove with a hammer and replace with a call to autoglass)
inside.jpg
inside.jpg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
I'm sure that cars in the 90s don't come with chrome
outside.jpg
outside.jpg (141.86 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

TerryG

#28 Post by TerryG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Range Rover "no dash"
no-dash.jpg
no-dash.jpg (224.44 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

UKJeeper

#29 Post by UKJeeper » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Got a handful there! :shock: Thought my Chief was bad. Good luck.

JPB

#30 Post by JPB » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm

UKJeeper wrote:Got a handful there! :shock: Thought my Chief was bad. Good luck.
Bad? :? H&S it is! That's nowhere near as bad as most of these modern RRCs are when you get in about at them. :)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: