1994 Range Rover

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
TerryG

Re: 1994 Range Rover

#211 Post by TerryG » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:13 pm

It came with a single point LPG kit fitted but courtesy of some bargaining, I have acquired a multi-point kit so rather than keeping the carburettor vaporiser, I decided to upgrade to injected LPG.
If you (or anyone else for that matter) would like a 120l half full LPG tank I have one spare.
I have spoken to my insurance company and they are happy as long as the car has an MOT which it will have before I use it on the road so no problem.

WD's issue is the rrc they had picked was a flapper one which needed a more complicated kit than converting one on carbs (like they did with their stage 1) but the price they were quoted was bs. An EFi conversion is more expensive than a carb one but not much more. You can get a cheapo kit from ebay which will work perfectly well and would have "fixed" their problem with the AFM not working as they don't use it.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

kstrutt1

#212 Post by kstrutt1 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Gas safe is a domestic thing (a scheme to make the licensing companies very rich at the customer and self employed installers expense) and does not apply to cars, there is an approved installers scheme but no legal obligation to use them, many of the people who sell kits offer an inspection and certification scheme I have never bothered and the insurance companies don't seem to have a problem with a self installed systems on my 2 cars. Mine are both single point, the landy uses a blos variable mixer which is superb.

The problem wd had was that the government guidelines say a injected car should be fitted with an LPG injection system (roughly twice the cost of a single point back then) to ensure it exceeds the orginal emissions requirements (remember the lpg tax incentives were originally a clean air policy), while most people are only interested in running costs and ignore this I guess they couldn't.

TerryG

#213 Post by TerryG » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Ahh, ok. I know my original kit has a safety certificate but I can't remember what it says on it. It's a KME Bingo S and was completely reliable.
The problem with single point systems on an injected car is a backfire can blow your intake apart. With my old vaporiser it happened whenever I let off from full throttle (according to Tinley the vaporiser was too small and a lean mix can cause this). After having to replace my filter box twice I upgraded to a bigger vaporiser which cured the problem. I have a friend with a 4.6 discovery that "fixed" the problem by fitting a K&N filter so whenever it backfired he could just clip it back on. Multi-point systems don't fill the plenum with gas so that shouldn't happen. It is supposed to be more economical but for the tiny extra saving I agree it is cost prohibitive. There is no reason at all to do it if you have a metal intake manifold and filter box like on any range rover up to LA.

The only reason I am doing it is the kit and under-floor tanks cost £85. As I wanted my boot space back which meant I needed to re-wire and re-plumb anyway it's not much more work to swap out the kit. The biggest pain was finding I had cross threaded a bolt when fitting my intake last so I had to drill and re-tap it.

tractorman

#214 Post by tractorman » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:45 am

Not sure about the "domestic thing" with Gas Safe, but my central heating friend was Corgi-registered at one time and said that he couldn't work on the gas fire that he had in his camper van as he hadn't done the necessary course! He stopped doing gas boilers because they were a PITA - people thought that, because could do a gas boiler, he could also service their gas fire, cooker and all sorts of other stuff: he couldn't even do a Calor-powered gas boiler because that was another (expensive) course! There were other reasons for stopping the gas work though - he now has two full time workers and more regular customers than he can handle, four or five BTL houses, a yacht and about four cars, a large caravan (and a van - the workers own their own vans)!

Coincidentally, he did have an early RR Vogue that he had converted to LPG when he was Corgi registered. The only thing that wasn't a problem was the LPG system (apart from the massive tank in the back) - he never touched that!

kstrutt1

#215 Post by kstrutt1 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:55 pm

I said domestic but the requirements are around habitable spaces which I guess could include campers, they all come from the building regulations.

Car engine fuel systems are covered vosa and there are very few regs around fitting these beyond the mot.

TerryG

#216 Post by TerryG » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I've slowly been doing work on this, averaging a couple of hours a weekend. The rubbish weather has really put me off doing anything car related that isn't essential (new front springs on my daily for example).
I did get the RR running a couple of weeks ago for the first time since November, it was hard to start but once the fuel pressure was up it ran fine :). Last week it seemed to be missing a bit. I assumed the year old fuel had gone bad but after replacing that it made no difference, all the plugs and leads are good, as are the cap and arm. Removed wiring for the LPG system which cuts power to the injectors just in case that was faulty. no difference.
So I pull the injectors thinking some dirt may have got in to the fuel system while it was open and they need blowing out.
This is what I found.
injectors.jpg
injectors.jpg (104.18 KiB) Viewed 2127 times
The injector on the left appears to have some metal missing from the tip (I was fitting new seals while they were out which is why it doesn't have any). Not a big deal as I have spare injectors but where has the metal gone?
I'm even more annoyed now so have locked the car and come inside to put the kettle on.
If it's nice next weekend i'll check the valves and cylinder with my endoscope. Fingers crossed it is old damage and hasn't let any stray lumps of metal in to the intake. Changing heads is a complete pain in the bum and if the bore is scored i'll be biblically annoyed as this engine has only dome about 40,000 miles. It has one noisy lifter but it may just be stuck after sitting for so long. If the engine isn't scrap I'm hoping after a run around the block to get it warm before an MOT will quieten it down.

Most the welding I'm planning on doing for now is done. I'll post some pics when it stops raining and I can get back outside to take some. tailgate hinges are lowered, boot floor is complete, C and D pillars are solid again. I just have the lip for the bottom tailgate seal to fit and I can put the interior back in.
I might to the sills in the summer, I might leave them for next year depending how enthusiastic I feel after this lot.

rich.

#217 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:42 pm

TerryG wrote: but where has the metal gone?
its a range rover :lol: :lol:

JPB

#218 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:51 pm

:shock: Ooh-er!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#219 Post by rich. » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TerryG

#220 Post by TerryG » Sun May 10, 2015 11:00 pm

It's official, the most boring job in the history of the world is using an endoscope to inspect inside the intake and bores of a rover v8. bizarrely I have a slightly pitted surface on the surface of the piston in 5 put but compression is good all round (cylinder 1 is 10psi below the rest which are all within 3psi of each other but they are all within tolerance).
Anyway, after spending 4 hours doing that, new injectors, pressure regulator and seals are now fitted. fresh petrol in the tank as the old stuff looked like tizer and running perfectly on petrol.
LPG on the other hand is awful. I have found a leak between the front solenoid and the vaporiser which means rail pressure is low. I'm assuming that is most of the problem as currently it's running but like it is 2 pots down so next weekends job is to work out what's causing that. Does LPG go bad like petrol does?!?!
The MOT expired in November but I don't think I have driven further than up and down the drive since May last year! What started out as replacing the rocker shafts then progressed to a small patch on the boot floor has rather spiralled.