My name is Tim and i have an addiction.

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
UKJeeper

Re: My name is Tim and i have an addiction.

#11 Post by UKJeeper » Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Ah. Didn't realise you were overseas. :oops:

UKJeeper

#12 Post by UKJeeper » Fri May 17, 2013 3:45 pm

Looking for car transporter options, either self drive or reasonable cost "man with a van" to move it from where it currently is (Essex) to a location about 20 miles closer to me, so i can work on it easier. So if you know of anyone...

Was going to move it myself as i have access to a trailer, but sold my larger Jeep last week (raising Chief funds) and my Wrangler is too small to safely tow 2500kgs (Chief and trailer) with!

Grumpy Northener

#13 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat May 18, 2013 6:18 am

Tim - Try the website below - I think it will be your most economical solution - Regards Chris

http://www.shiply.com/
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

bubs

#14 Post by bubs » Thu May 23, 2013 10:36 am

I had an ex LA motors chief pickup, that was converted professionally to 1/2 lift with a holms on the back, as driven by Roy Kineer in an episode of minder

UKJeeper

#15 Post by UKJeeper » Fri May 24, 2013 10:13 am

bubs wrote:I had an ex LA motors chief pickup, that was converted professionally to 1/2 lift with a holms on the back, as driven by Roy Kineer in an episode of minder
Couple of J Trucks on the bay right now as it happens. One's a rusty pile J10 that someone is bidding too much on, the other one is a J20 that is silly money. FSJ's still come up now and again, but are generally shagg....in poor condition. Have a mate near Diss who has a worse fetish for FSJ's than i do, and the room to store them all! Must get pictures next time i'm up that way.

UKJeeper

#16 Post by UKJeeper » Fri May 24, 2013 10:20 am

Grumpy Northener wrote:Tim - Try the website below - I think it will be your most economical solution - Regards Chris

http://www.shiply.com/

Thanks. Found this bloke:

http://www.essexcartransportchelmsford.co.uk/

1/2 the cost of other 'man with van' quotes i'd had, and cheaper than a self drive. If anyone is needing a cheap mover in the South East, bookmark it.

That being said, i haven't used him yet. Got everything setup for saturday, only to find the garage door keyholders (where the Jeep currently is) are away that day. :roll:

Moving this thing is turning into a 'herding cats' experience.

UKJeeper

#17 Post by UKJeeper » Fri May 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Spent this evening moving "Freddie the FSJ" to his new temporary home, with the help of some good friends. Now I can spend some time seeing what really needs to be done. Long way to go yet, but a big step. Currently resting in a big comfy barn under the watchful eye of cctv.

Happy to report he fired up and ran impeccably. Got himself on and off the trailer under his own steam.

UKJeeper

#18 Post by UKJeeper » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:23 pm

Finally was able to move the Chief to its new location yesterday.

Now the Chief is accessible, i've been able to really take a look at it. Pulled the misc contents out of the boot and found all the chrome trims, new&unused window seals, the roof rails and once i'd pulled out the rotting carpet, the floorpans i'd been hoping to find. Just a very slight trace of surface rust at the wheel arches and foot wheels. Really good news. Money shots below.

More pics added here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ukjeeper/s ... 258586275/

UKJeeper

#19 Post by UKJeeper » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:45 am

Beware...

750CFM of four barrel power! Has been known to suck in small planets... :shock: :icant:

And yes, it's filthy. :lol: I'll be pulling it off and cleaning it this weekend.

UKJeeper

#20 Post by UKJeeper » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:33 pm

Updates:

Replaced the metal strip the front windows sit in (along the bottom of the glass) as the existing ones...didn't exist. Rusted away to nothing. Ben had bought replacements but never fitted them. This means that the windows now go up, and down. Without the metal base the winder arm had nothing to attach to.

Old and new:

Also replaced the drivers side flip window (triangle one at the front) as the lock button had broken off a long time ago. Again, Ben had bought 2 doors (off a Grand Wagoneer) just for these parts (as far as i can tell). Also replaced the rubber seals that go along the top of the door where the glass goes through, will keep the rain out of the doors.

Old and new. (old is just the clips, on a bit of wood to show what was left!)

I've sourced headlight trims (the brackets that hold the headlights in) from a couple of mates on the Jeep Forums. Ended up up with 2 pairs (two mates), cost me a fiver. Front grille is back on, and the surrounding chrome trim. Ben had bought 2 round headlights, which i think he was going to put in the spaces inside of where the regular lights sit (see pic). I'll make sure this is done, as he wanted. However, The 3 pairs of other driving lights will probably not get mounted, as this would mean 2 headlights, 2 grille mounted driving lights, plus 6 extra driving lights = 10 lights! Its a Jeep not a Vespa! :lol:

Original seats back in, electric motors working (moves the seat back and front, up and down).

Removed the headliner, had a look at the rust damage underneath. Surprisingly, not too bad (IMO). The damage has not spread further than just around the holes. The rest of the roof is (mostly) still in good shape.

Also had the angle grinder (with rust/paint pad) removing some of the outside body rust/bubbled paint. Got a bit worried to find 1/2" of bondo on the rear right corner, but was only filling a small dent, not a hole. Removed it all and have applied hammerite to the steel, as a temporary measure to protect it from further rust damage.

And finally, have rebuilt Freddie's 'tent' into a more practical carport. Double layer of tarps, supported by wooden staves and running the full length of the body, giving him better protection from the rain. Still a temporary structure whilst i collect the parts for a proper carport. And he is going to spend the winter indoors, in a barn (unless a miracle happens and his bodywork is fixed and painted in the next 2 months).