1975 Rover 3500 Project

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
FrazzleTC

1975 Rover 3500 Project

#1 Post by FrazzleTC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Two weeks ago, I agreed to buy a slightly sorry-looking 1975 Rover 3500 auto, unseen, which was missing a few bits and pieces. The car was trailered home on Sunday, while I was on holiday in the Lake District, so I've still not had a decent chance to look around it. As mentioned, it was purchased minus bumpers, fuel tank and filler, and exhaust. The door mirrors, and bonnet badge had also been removed, but the mirrors have been sourced, meaning that all it needs is a bonnet badge, on the exterior front! Unfortunately, it has arrived without ignition leads, and a few other bits, but my sincere thanks to Spinakerr (James) for offering me a free set of leads, dizzy cap, and coil! :D
The background to the car is that it's one that I remember seeing when I was younger, doing the shows, and at the time, it was rather a flash-looking car! I'd spotted it on ebay for around the £1000 mark, described as having a few issues, but at the time, I couldn't justify it. When I saw it advertised for £400, missing a few bits, I made a cheeky offer, and to my surprise, it was accepted! :oops: :lol: 8) It would appear that it's had a lot of money spent on it, at some point, as I'm informed that it has fully adjustable suspension all round, and has an SD1 V8 fitted in place of the original unit.
I'm still not absolutely sure what it needs done to it, but I'll be able to form a reasonable opinion of it fairly quickly, when I've had a bit more time to look around it. It's got black boxpleat leather, sundym glass, 3500S badging and steering wheel, and quite a few spares. From a very quick inspection, the front end seems very solid, but there's a bit of filler in the bottom of the D posts, and appears to be quite a bit of filler in the boot area. I'll take the carpets out, and have a look underneath the car, next time I'm home. Rather strangely, the windscreen washer is in the boot. :?
Ideally I'd like to get it running before I do anything else, and drive it along the driveway where it is stored, to get some idea as to how it's going to go.
It should give me plenty to do over the summer, and I just hope that it doesn't need too much welding. :lol:
So, in the meantime, here's a before photo, of how it looked in its heyday, a photo of under the bonnet from the ebay ad (when it still had HT leads) , and a couple of photos from the day of collection.
If anyone knows anything about the car's background, I'd be really interested to hear!

jpsh120

Re: 1975 Rover 3500 Project

#2 Post by jpsh120 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Sounds like you got a bargain! Doesn't look like it will take much to get it back to its previous condition?
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

TerryG

#3 Post by TerryG » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 pm

That looks like a nice project. Make sure you keep the thread up to date, I love watching projects. Especially ones with Rover V8s in.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

megadethmaniac

#4 Post by megadethmaniac » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:34 pm

Looks like a good one...

then but so did my herald....

I`ll start a thread soon and just hope you had more luck than I did.

madman

#5 Post by madman » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Looks like a nice project. Im looking forward to reading about it.

Ian

#6 Post by Ian » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:20 pm

UJ is a Shropshire registration if that helps any?

Here it is on drivearchive...........

http://www.drivearchive.co.uk/vehiclede ... arID=48482
Strive for perfection in everything you do

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:13 am

I'm thinking that this Salopian P6 might also have spent time in Norfolk, or are there two that colour with those wheels? ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

FrazzleTC

#8 Post by FrazzleTC » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:50 am

That's interesting to see that photo there, Ian. Certainly has deteriorated a lot since then! There are actually two series 2 Monza Red P6Bs, with gold wheels from an SD1. The other is an immaculate example, and belongs to a chap from the North East.

rich.

#9 Post by rich. » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:48 am

i like those, although im not sure about the gold wheels... good luck.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 am

FrazzleTC wrote:That's interesting to see that photo there, Ian. Certainly has deteriorated a lot since then! There are actually two series 2 Monza Red P6Bs, with gold wheels from an SD1. The other is an immaculate example, and belongs to a chap from the North East.
Yeah, somewhere down the coast by Cullercoats, he gets to the Metro Centre meets. So if neither is Glenn's old car might there be a third?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: