carpet colour for my Hillman Hunter 1971

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Susannah

carpet colour for my Hillman Hunter 1971

#1 Post by Susannah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 pm

Hi Folks,
I am new to the classic world but I have just bought a 1971 Hillman Hunter GL 1.5 which is bright blue with chrome strips. The interior seats are beige maybe once white and she has "wood" paneling. I am replacing the horrible brown carpet the last restorer put in and I want to know what the original colour might have been. Does anyone know? OR Does anyone know how to find out? Been looking online for images and have found original catalogs for sale but uncertain if they will have the information I need and don't want to have to buy them to find out. I think I might just put black carpet down as it might be better to keep it looking clean.
any recommendations? Also should I purchase any particular type of carpet?
thank you, susy
Last edited by Susannah on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rich.

Re: carpet colour for my Hillman Hunter 1971

#2 Post by rich. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:57 am

could you dye the existing carpets?

SirTainleyBarking

#3 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:42 pm

The early 70's were the time of brown and beige, although black vinyl on black would also look authentic.
If of course you can get a contemporary sales catalogue in colour, you'll get a good idea of what the factory optons were
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

JPB

#4 Post by JPB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:52 pm

From what I remember of CHH 819L, my Hunter GL, brown carpets are right with beige trim. 1500? How so? Is this a Santry plant-assembled car?
Someone will doubtless show me wrong but I was sure that all UK-assembled Hunter GLs were 1725cc.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

jpsh120

#5 Post by jpsh120 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:58 pm

I would think brown carpet is correct or maybe even blue, but I have seen some pretty shocking colour combinations on rootes cars over the years . A dark blue might look good, I would suggest talking to coverdale carpets who I'm fairly certain have the patterns for the hunter and you could choose any colour and quality.
1971 Sunbeam Rapier H120

rich.

#6 Post by rich. » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:58 am

the 70s was an era of strange taste, i used to own a sandglow mgb with orange stripey seats.....what were they thinking :lol: :lol:

can we have a few pics of the car please??