Early Javelin Restoration

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
vulgalour

Re: Early Javelin Restoration

#311 Post by vulgalour » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:29 am

Been a while since I checked in on my favourite Jowett thread and I am not disappointed. This car is going to be astonishingly good with all this attention to detail. I can imagine it would have looked good without things like fresh chrome and resilvered headlights, but those details are what set a restoration up to be great rather than just good. I don't envy you all the time, effort and money involved in this venture, but I will be envious of the end result I've no doubt.

Grumpy Northener

#312 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:15 am

Apologies - Sod all done to it for a month but with the intervention of day job dictating 2 x 100 hour + weeks on a site 100 miles from home - I can not find any time currently - however the car, myself & team will be at the NEC Restoration Show next weekend - stand number: 2-258 - please feel free to call in and say hello :)

Chris
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

Topaz

#313 Post by Topaz » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Grumpy Northener wrote: the car, myself & team will be at the NEC Restoration Show next weekend - stand number: 2-258 - please feel free to call in and say hello :)
Chris
I did just that this afternoon - introduced myself with both my real and forum name then later realised that I should of explained why 'Topaz' - well that the name of the Caravan and it seemed like a good idea at the time . . . . :?

Pleasure to meet you and also to say hello to Peter the car's owner who was also there helping to rebuild the grill. Later on I could tell that Chris was still working as the noise of his panel beating echoed around the hall. :lol:

Looking forward to seeing more updates

Mike

TerryG

#314 Post by TerryG » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:00 pm

I will be there tomorrow and shall do the same :)

Topaz / Mike, if you (or anybody else for that matter) would like your User ID changed, if you send myself or one of the admins a PM asking us to change it for you, we will do :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#315 Post by JPB » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Hmm, nowt wrong with a classic Eccles Topaz! :D

Phwooaaarrrggghhh! :drool:

Now, as one of the handful of people to have got away with towing a Sprite Musketeer up Sutton Bank (1 in 4 average gradient) with a Front wheel drive car :oops: (SJR***N, Maxi HL in Damask) and lived, maybe I should become D'Artagnut? This would also tie in with the long serving forum geezer known as Cap'n Dangleberry.

Pictures, pictures, pictures of the Javelin please, someone. :thumbs:

(*s are because it's still on the road and in regular use and I wouldn't want the current keeper to know why those rear bottles were so tired)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Topaz

#316 Post by Topaz » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:26 am

JPB wrote:Hmm, nowt wrong with a classic Eccles Topaz! :D
Thankfully ours was in a bit better condition than that :D

We actually took a chance and bought it off the internet from a static home dealer who had been contracted by insurance companies to rehouse people affected by the floods in Hull in 2007 - as the Swift factory was only a few miles away they got some brand new vans cheap as they were sold without warranty for those people who didn't have space on their drive for a bigger static van. With ours, although only 6 months old, it had obviously not had a great deal of use as the family must have spent most of time upstairs still in their own house as none of the appliances or toilet had been used but as it was second hand without a warranty it was a fair bit cheaper than new - the equivalent van now is £19000 :o

http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/caravans/st ... se/layouts

Sorry for drifting away from the Javelin topic

Mike

JPB

#317 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:02 am

We should have a thread dedicated to classic touring vans! Like the cars that pulled them, there used to be a great many different styles and shapes from the GRP monocoque Car Cruisers to the luxurious Bessacarr and Eccles brands, via the more prosaic Astral Scouts and of course the CI Sprites; 400, Cadet, Alpine, Musketeer and Major.

Hitting submit now, see you at the other end of the hot ladder!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Topaz

#318 Post by Topaz » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Many congratulations to the Jowett Club which won the 'Club Stand' competition

See you all again next year - 28 and 29 March so a couple of weeks earlier next time

http://clarion-events.msgfocus.com/q/1m ... erca8Do/wv

Mike

TerryG

#319 Post by TerryG » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 pm

Congratulations :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Toledo Man

#320 Post by Toledo Man » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Chris, I'm sure that you'll know a certain fellow Jowett owner from Leeds by the name of Steve (I know him through the Triumph Dolomite Club). I mentioned this thread to him and he seemed to know who you might be. He's also got a pre-War Austin.

Like the Jowett, I was Bradford born and was working in the city centre (next to that new shopping centre that is finally being built after 10 years!) until recently. It must be frustrating working away from home with no chance to work on the car. It is going to be better than new when it is finished!
Toledo Man

1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L)
2008 Citroen Grand C4 Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive (MA08 WCL)
1995 BMW 318i (M265 PNC)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB)