Early Javelin Restoration

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
arceye

Re: Early Javelin Restoration

#361 Post by arceye » Tue May 05, 2015 8:38 am

Some nice work and obviously a lot more patience than I have, the end result is going to be lovely I think.

Nice to see the use of safety PPE with the lead work, in my railway days I did a lot of gas burning and thermal lance burning on steel structures covered with lead paint and used to be blood tested regularly for lead.

Even with decent kit as the main burner on a viaduct renewal I once reached action levels which resulted in.. my own mess cabin (billy no mates or what??) my own shower and changing hut for end of day, compressor fed respirator mask etc. One bonus was finishing twenty minutes before the rest of the crew to decontaminate at the shift end which caused a little jealousy :)

So yes, if anyone is playing with lead, do take precautions and also wash up thoroughly at the end..

This is turning out to be a most thorough restoration, can't wait to see it in paint :D

SirTainleyBarking

#362 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue May 05, 2015 10:16 pm

Same reason that the Exide battery factory used to have very nice gardens. If your blood lead levels exceeded the proscribed level they took you off the line, and put you on "Gardening Leave" until it dropped back down again
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

Grumpy Northener

#363 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sat May 09, 2015 4:53 pm

Thanks for the positive comments chaps - progress is slightly slow at present has I am working away from home yet again (since the end of April to the end of May) but then all the working the away from home will come to a very firm and abrupt end :o
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

Grumpy Northener

#364 Post by Grumpy Northener » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:00 am

Is still happening :o !!!! - but sod all done to it due to the business - plan is to get my workshop at home completed with the fit out - whilst completing the last couple of hours of welding to the shell - then transport the shell from Keith's workshop (Watford) 60 miles west to my workshop so that I can complete the body profiles and start to get it painted - well at least I have a plan !
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles