1995 Jeep Cherokee 4L

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
arceye

Re: 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4L

#11 Post by arceye » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:53 pm

WHS ^^^

My about be ex Jeep is currently getting about 25 MPG as I've been booting it a bit but depending how I drive it and type of use its computer display has shown 32MPG based over several thousand miles not too long ago.

Given that the trip is in US Gallons it is probably actually slightly better than shown.

No slouch either that Merc Turbo engine.

Richard Moss

#12 Post by Richard Moss » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 pm

TerryG wrote:I'm sure someone must offer a diesel conversion kit for a jeep. I bet a Nissan diesel fitted would get to the mid-20s.
They came with VM 4 cylinder diesels as an option - not the most sophisticated engine in the world but pretty tough and easily tweakable to give decent performance at almost no extra cost.

JPB

Re: 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L

#13 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:39 pm

arceye wrote:..mines a 2.7 Merc Diesel auto....
So did this come about purely because of the later jump into Daimler-Benz' bed then? A VM should be interesting, they were really effective in the SD1. But surely that HR492 was the engine found in the Diesel Range Rover too? Isn't that a bit like fitting a Defender's engine to a G-Wagen? It would be able to move it, but wouldn't be right somehow. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#14 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:19 am

i do like the sound of the g wagen diesel..

TerryG

#15 Post by TerryG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:34 pm

It probably sounds a bit like a tractor ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#16 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:29 pm

TerryG wrote:It probably sounds a bit like a tractor ;)
Like all Benz Diesels yes, they do. (This is a good thing because tractors are cool**, especially Fordson Super Dextas and G-Wagens).

**- Unusually, this is a factual statement and not merely a point of view. Tractors are seriously cool and, just as is the case with tricycles, can be driven in manual gearbox form on a licence that's restricted to auto only in the PLG class. I love the DVLA and her loopholes. :D
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

alabbasi

Re: 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L

#17 Post by alabbasi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:46 pm

arceye wrote:I actually quite like that, and if not actually "classic"
They've been around since 1984 which make them close to 30 years old. I see man younger cars being discussed on this forum as classics, I see no reason why this wouldn't.

TerryG

#18 Post by TerryG » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Let's not get in to the "what is a classic" argument please.
If you like it that's all that matters and everybody will respect you for driving one and keeping it on the road :)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

rich.

#19 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 pm

a friend of mine always called them the 4wd volvo... id have one :lol: ... it would have to be a diesel though..

tractorman

#20 Post by tractorman » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:04 pm

JPB wrote:
This is a good thing because tractors are cool**, especially Fordson Super Dextas and G-Wagens.
Hmm, Super Dextas eh? Not one of my favourite tractors - apart from jumping out of gear at the wrong moment, they have some annoying quirks. Although they used a specially built Perkins engine, similar to the MF 35, the MF had some sensible ideas - like a dipstick for the (combined) gearbox/back end oil level and a clutch that you could work comfortably when using the PTO!

I remember a farmer doing a test drive of the Diesel Cherokee for the local paper some years ago. I seem to remember he was impressed with the vehicle, but not the engine's performance. I once drove an earlier petrol engined one (1978/9 model) occasionally (my usual van was a MB 207) and one day I filled it with fuel before going to collect a "show trailer" about twenty miles away. I got to the trailer and noticed the fuel gauge had hardly moved but, when I got back with the trailer, the usual driver took over and his first job was a dash to the filling station - 40 miles per tank!