1995 Jeep Cherokee 4L

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Richard Moss

Re: 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4L

#31 Post by Richard Moss » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Oct 14:
Diagnostics (how to do it came back to me!):
It's too old to have OBDII and it DOES have a distributor. I had forgotten that the older system can store codes (thanks for the nudge). So, using the key ON-OFF-ON 5 times get the PCM to enter diagnostic mode and flash the CHECK ENGINE light and that gives me codes 11 and 62.

11 = Crank Position Sensor
62 = Service Indicator not working (not relevant to this)

So, the CPS is the new number one suspect! Good job I have one on the way.

As for moving the PCM inboard, looking at the loom it appears that unpicking the cable duct will give me enough flex to move it inside under the dash without cutting any wires. I'll just need to put a hole through the bulkhead to run the cable through. Great word "just" :)
Last edited by Richard Moss on Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Moss

#32 Post by Richard Moss » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:30 pm

Oct 15:
Today's little moment of joy - a really nasty vibration when under power. I think it's the universal joint(s) in the rear driveshaft/propshaft. There's always something.......but at least I have replacement joints on the shelf ready to be fitted.

Oct 16:
I looked at the rear propshaft (driveshaft) and the forward universal joint was completely shot. Repairs had to wait until this evening but were pretty straightforward. The photos below show the extent of the wear - the bearings were dry and completely trashed. What is annoying is that when it was in the workshop of "a certain well known local garage", I asked them to check out the vibration which I said was probably coming from the propshaft. I was assured that it was fine - yet 2 weeks later, here we are!

How it should be:

How it was:

It's interesting to note that I have always experienced what I thought was clutch judder when pulling away from a standstill and just put that down to the usual XJ lack of refinement (Chrysler/Jeep please note: you can find "refinement" in the dictionary between "rattle" and "rubbish"). The judder is now gone and so it must have been caused by the prop UJ binding.

The courier tell me that the new Crank Position Sensor is "in the system" so it should be with me in a day or two.

Richard Moss

#33 Post by Richard Moss » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:31 pm

Oct 18:
I adjusted the steering box yesterday to take out most of the huge amount of free play in it. The workshop manual says that you should remove the box from the car and adjust it "on a bench" but I didn't want all the mess of draining the PAS fluid so I just removed the airbox to adjust the steering in-situ. It seems a lot better now - it's certainly easier to keep it moving in a straight line.

I also changed the crankshaft position sensor today. It's a bit of a fiddly job due to poor access (it's mounted on the transmission bellhousing) but unbolting the transmission mount lowered the whole thing down enough to give adequate access. Hopefully this will stop it cutting out when warmed up off-road. Whilst underneath I noticed that a few of the suspension control arm bushes are perished - so those will need to be replaced, too but that's an easy enough job and not too expensive.

UKJeeper

#34 Post by UKJeeper » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:13 pm

Richard Moss wrote:
I looked at the rear propshaft (driveshaft) and the forward universal joint was completely shot.
I can beat that.

JPB

#35 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:17 pm

:shock: Someone either bought a snide U/J - made out of cheese - or failed to grease a genuine one.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

UKJeeper

#36 Post by UKJeeper » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:25 pm

That's off a mate's 2 door XJ (Cherokee). He said it was 'wobbling a bit'.... :shock: :roll:

I had to go down to Kent to change it for him as he couldn't figure out how. :roll:

JPB

#37 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Hmm, maybe he couldn't find the thread for the grease nipple either! :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#38 Post by TerryG » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Are they not "sealed for life" where life is about 50,000 miles on road or 10,000 off it like land rover ones ;)
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#39 Post by JPB » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:37 pm

The "sealed" :lol: ones still need the appropriate amount of grease in them before you assemble them into the yokes but if you look at one of Richard Moss' pictures (the second one down), where the spider is in his hand, the thread is pretty easy to spot on there.

I've seen dozens of these that had been neglected because someone didn't know how to fit the nipple.
J

Richard Moss

#40 Post by Richard Moss » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:05 pm

UKJeeper wrote:I can beat that.
You win!

Most of the Jeep ones have a grease nipple fitted - as do most of the balljoints on the steering and suspension. Clearly the previous owner and/or his garage didn't notice that the nipple was missing from this one nor think that replacing it was important. Mind you, despite the relatively small number of miles I've done in it I should have checked it myself.