1995 Jeep Cherokee 4L

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Richard Moss

1995 Jeep Cherokee 4L

#1 Post by Richard Moss » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:03 pm

Before anyone says "too young to be a classic" just remember that these went on sale in 1984 so have been around as long as the mk2 Golf.

Here are some pictures of my new project which I collected on thursday evening. I haven't done anything to it today but I will need to get a new taillight unit for the left hand side as the old one has faded badly.

Jobs to do:
Suspension Lift (2", maybe 3") with new shock absorbers
Clean the engine bay and interior properly
Remove those useless spotlights and fit something decent
Use it offroad
Fix anything that breaks once I start using it.

I may also replace that chromed grille with a painted one - the chrome looks really old fashioned!

First impressions are very positive. The interior is, of course, unspeakably tacky but it has a few toys (electric seats/windows/mirrors etc) and satisfactory aircon. To drive it is a revelation - the gearing is higher than expected, perhaps partly because of the slightly oversized tyres fitted to it, but despite that it goes like stink! Due to the big engine, light weight and manual transmission it feels every bit as fast as my 2001 V8 Grand Cherokee auto but more agile with it (unlike that great truck). It's certainly no Jaguar as far as refinement goes but it's a lot better than expected. It's going to be fun! :)
Last edited by Richard Moss on Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

arceye

Re: 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L

#2 Post by arceye » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 pm

I actually quite like that, and if not actually "classic" the model has been about awhile. Reading the last PC magazine, I did a double take over the Renault Espace, but that too has been around a while, so if the Renaults good enough for them..........

I followed a very tidy one of these just yesterday through a nearby village, and what I really noticed more than anything was how low it seemed in comparison to my 2002 Grand Cherokee (mines a 2.7 Merc Diesel auto), so I would think a lift kit will give it the presence it deserves.

Good luck with it, I don't find the interior too tacky on mine or the earlier ones I've been in, not compared to Ford Explorers at any rate, and dare I say at least as good as a Rangy for refinement. Maybe not quite as good off road as a landy or rangy, but pretty adequate.

Enjoy, and let us know how it gets on :)

Mitsuru

#3 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Nice straight six you got there Richard.
Any plans for a sump guard or engine shield so it doesn't get damaged off roading?
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Richard Moss

#4 Post by Richard Moss » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:26 pm

They don't really need a sump guard because the engine sits reasonably high and the axle provides enough protection. Here we mostly drive on dunes so rocks really don't cause a problem, even less so if the vehicle is lifted. It does have a radiator guard, though, which is much more important as that is the bit that gets whacked if you come down a steep dune a bit too quickly.

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:29 am

it looks new... does it need any work?

Richard Moss

Re: 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4L

#6 Post by Richard Moss » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:49 am

It has had some bodywork done (bumps and scrapes) and will need a bit of fettling. However, rust is not an issue here but I expect to have to replace a few rubber components (engine mounts etc.)

Richard Moss

#7 Post by Richard Moss » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:31 pm

I'm well overdue an update on this so by way of a start, I've got a set of these wheelarch flares on their way to me now:

Ridgeback

#8 Post by Ridgeback » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:40 am

Our '94 Cherokee was a great thing. Luggage space was a bit compromised by the spare in the boot and it was hideous on fuel (4.0l - 10-15 mpg) but in the snow and taking it off road, it was epic. Never spent a penny on it in all the time we owned it. If they did one that did 30 mpg, I'd buy another tomorrow ;)

TerryG

#9 Post by TerryG » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:53 am

I'm sure someone must offer a diesel conversion kit for a jeep. I bet a Nissan diesel fitted would get to the mid-20s.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:11 pm

TerryG wrote:I'm sure someone must offer a diesel conversion kit for a jeep. I bet a Nissan diesel fitted would get to the mid-20s.
Or how about keeping it in the - Daimler/Chrysler - "family" and fitting the Benz OM611 engine like the one that Arceye's Jeep would have been supplied with, rather than converting to an engine from a different maker? OK, so it would still be "modified" for insurance purposes but at least it wouldn't need mounts cutting and welding, bespoke bearer plates or anything resembling improvisation. These are popular among local farmers who don't want to spend Range Rover money on something that actually gets dirty and battered in the line of duty, many reckon to see 30+ to the gallon, even driving with wellies on.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: