1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: 1972 Triumph Dolomite 1850

#271 Post by JPB » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:33 pm

:( That's a biatch of a job, I feel your pain but is the pump definitely leaking? Don't forget that coolant can dribble from pretty much anywhere (H-pipe, pump cover, top left radiator stub, inlet manifold coolant hole, by pass tube between pump cover and inlet manifold/thermostat housing, etc.) If the bypass tube is the type that Paddock's sell (one piece rubber sleeved one as per original) then they tend to last well but if someone stuffed a Rimmers' metal pipe with ill fitting O rings in there then that'll leak sooner or later and all of the above sources can cause coolant to run down past the telltale slot in the block and run through it, giving the impression that the leak is from there - even when it isn't. I shall now be crossing my fingers, please advise when it's ok to uncross them again. ;)

If you do go V8, forget that Rover thing. :shock: ;) Triumph's own V8 makes such a great noise and it's just what's already there but with the other block and head sitting on the crankcase too. A pump job on the Triumph V8 is only slightly less easy than the same job on a slant. Honest. Oi, come back..
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mach1rob

#272 Post by mach1rob » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:05 pm

I am 99.9% sure it's the pump, but I shall prod and poke a bit more just to be sure, it only leaks when it's running, I can top up, and it'll be dry as underneath, fire it up and drip drip drip.

Terry, if I could do a V8 swap for the price of another pump rebuild I would, but unless I get a few numbers on the lotto, I honestly can't see it happening for a while.

I have a feeling it's been chatting with the Mondeo, and they've both been plotting, you get several problems on the Mondeo sorted, and just when you think that's it, Dolly starts throwing problems up. Ho hum, these things are sent to try us. On the plus side I did get this mess sorted (eventually)

Underseat wiring loom passenger side for airbag, pretensioners and heaters...

probably chopped out because of

First thought was seat heater had burnt out, but that was fine, and still in working condition, so mind boggles.

All sorted now, with an airbag light that goes off like it should. :) Nice set of Recaro leathers from the ST, with matching rear seat.

The other issue is the gearbox, a JATCO 5sp tiptronic one, it refused to drive when I collected it, have now got it drop drop into R and D, and drives quite nicely for a high miles Mondeo, but it won't shift manually, and it had a habit of ejecting its ATF through the breather on a drive, resulting it a nice trail of oil everywhere, so we checked the level, this is done by removing a level bolt underneath, no fluid out, means it needs topping up,fluid out, over filled, now, call it a hunch, but I think someone in trying to solve the drive issue topped the box up.

just over 4 litres came out...

I can live with the box not shifting manually, apparently it has an output speed sensor issue. I have a new sensor in the glovebox, but seeing as it's located IN the box, I CBA to pull it out, strip it down and pop the new one in just to get it to work in manual mode, it's an auto, it can change automatically :)

SirTainleyBarking

#273 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 pm

mach1rob wrote: probably chopped out because of
Well if you will sit in the car after a night on the guinness followed by a Vindaloo, you've only yourself to blame :lol: :shock:
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

mach1rob

#274 Post by mach1rob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Remember this photo from May last year?

Well...

Such fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhJJcruO9M

I'm hoping to get along to the big BL show up in Peterborough on the 3rd, so don't want to risk that distance with it leaking like that, so it's all apart again for another go, lets just hope it lasts longer this time.

Oh and Mondeo failed MOT on no handbrake and a ball joint, new cables and joint on, it's in for retest tomorrow. Still won't change gear manually though!

mach1rob

#275 Post by mach1rob » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:08 pm

I thought I'd updated this, but never mind, anyways, the Dolomite made it to PeteBogHorror, with just wiper failure on the A34 in the middle of a downpour, fixed with a swift clout to the motor, and a split coolant hose just as we pulled into the hotel, fixed with a new bit bought at the autojumble on the showfield.

If you've read the Vitesse thread you'd see a few bits will hopefully be making their way into the Dolomite, the seats being the most obvious ones, and just need to find some suitable dye for the leather. In two minds whether brown or black. And the electric windows and central locking with the aid of some universal motors will hopefully be going in too, the plan is to strip the interior back out, along with door cards to fit and wire everything up, along with getting a decent alarm system in too. You'd think Triumph actually considered this back in the day, my cunning idea for the switches fits almost perfectly, and looks pretty much factory too.

I think brown/tan could work

And these fit a treat :)

mach1rob

#276 Post by mach1rob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Right, where wasn't we? I think maybe the easiest thing to do would be to post photos and let you lot play spot the difference! Some are subtle, some not so, still plenty to do however, but not had a great deal of free time over last few months, and trying to make time now to do a few more jobs that need finishing. I would like to repaint the roof this summer too given the chance.

Anyways, enjoy. Oh and John, calm yourself!

So, just to recap how it stood last year.

and now

I've also bought another couple of sets of wheels, they all need a damned good clean, refurb, and tyres, seeing as some were last made in the 1980s, so I'd rather not risk them on the road now, but big question is, and one I'm not sure on answer to, is which ones??

Slots or Compomotives! Bear in mind, the spokes on the Compos would end up black rather than current gold once done, I think they're my favourite, but I could swap and change I suppose... :twisted:

JPB

#277 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:03 pm

I like the
ImageImageImage
better, but then a slot mag does look right on an early '70s car so I recommend running the Compos on the left and the slots on the right, or vise-versa. :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

mach1rob

#278 Post by mach1rob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:14 pm

Slots are 13", Compos 14". Slots need a bloody good polish, so neither set will be going on in the very near future unless a miracle happens, so it'll probably see out this summer on the Sprints anyways.

kevin

#279 Post by kevin » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:27 pm

Looking good.
I like the slots but to be honest I prefer the original set!

Kev

JPB

#280 Post by JPB » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:28 pm

mach1rob wrote:Slots are 13", Compos 14". Slots need a bloody good polish, so neither set will be going on in the very near future unless a miracle happens, so it'll probably see out this summer on the Sprints anyways.
Ah! Go with the Compos then, the tyre choices for a 14" wheel were, the last time I checked during one of those moments when I thought of having alloys on mine, cheaper and more easily available than the o/e sized 175/70x13 or anything upwards from there.
ISTR seeing some Dollies on 14s with a tyre that was only a few % larger in rolling circumference than the stock 13s, but bear in mind that Dolly speedometers almost always under read, as my driving licence will confirm. :evil:
J