Team BMC - Shitbox Rally 2013 - 69 Mini Van - We did it!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
bnicho

Re: Team BMC - Shitbox Rally 2013 - 69 Mini Van

#31 Post by bnicho » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

Team BMC put in a full day on DAV on Saturday. Watto tackled the right rear corner area while Nicho (me) tackled the nasty looking A-panel and wing.

As usual, the Rear end was much worse than it looked!

Watto hard at work.

Repair finished, ready for bogging.

The A-panel and wing looked like this:

Chopping away!

Inner A-panel and A-pillar repair done at the top, but more rust found lower down in the inner A-panel.

Sections from a donor guard welded in. A-panel welded on rear edge and simply tacked on at the seam for now. The spot welder will be used the finish weld at the seam and lower inner-to-outer A-panel join.

We believe that we have finally passed the half-way mark of the welding. Hopefully we aren't kidding ourselves.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

JPB

#32 Post by JPB » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 pm

Look at that scuttle end! Solid, perfect, something to line up with the top corner of the wing. That's amazing as there'd be nothing left between the screen frame and the back of the engine bay in a UK resident mini of more than a few years old.

:cry: After yet another round of eBay - and local Ad Trader - bullshitters wasting my time this past week with their "near-concours" minis that had less metal than the Cord I wanted in the first place, I'm almost convinced that Aus is where the sound ones are at, and where else can you find an external hinge mini with wind-up windows and Gin pockets?

A UK car of only 7 years old at the time is seen here for comparison:
and the method used to sort that rust if you don't like Cataloy:

Yes, that's a complete scuttle and up to the lower few Inches of the outer screen pillars, you mini restorers out in Aus don't half have it easy! ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

SirTainleyBarking

#33 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:44 am

If its any consolation, that rear end looked a bit daggy, but at least the grot stopped at the wheelarch. I remember seeing a mini van driving around Swansea that was split from there, over the wheelarch and all the way to the B panel. Imagine how that looked going over bumps
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

bnicho

#34 Post by bnicho » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 am

I suppose it could be a lot worse, but it's still "scrap it" levels of rust by our standards.

I'm regretting scrapping the 87 Mayfair now. I could have fixed it. :(
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

#35 Post by bnicho » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:34 am

In my last update I was confident we had passed the half-way point in the welding.

Well, that was pessimistic!

We have now finished the welding and moved on to bogging and priming. Yes, the Mini from Planet Rust is now rust free!

But we also have some other exciting news. For a limited time you can now buy a Team BMC T-shirt featuring the unique cartoon of our Mini, generously provided by wel-known motorsport cartoonist Stonie.

Available only to the end of Feb 2013 with delivery expected mid to late March.

Each shirt is full colour as shown and costs $30. $10 from every shirt sold goes to the Cancer Council. Postage is $10 extra anywhere in Australia, but we can post multiple shirts in one parcel. Please enquire for overseas postage.

We will accept Visa, Mastercard or Paypal if you prefer.

Details we need are:

Sizes and Quantities:
Name:
Daytime Phone number:
Address:
State:
Postcode:
e-mail address: (no we won't spam you!)
Payment Method:
Payment Amount (incl postage):

For card payments only, we also need:
Card Number:
Expiry Date:
Name on Card:
CVN Code from signature panel:

You can send these details to us via Facebook, PM here on this forum post to Autofan Media PO Box 186, Newcombe VIC 3219, Australia or fax to +61 3 52504846.

Thanks for your support!

Watto and Nicho.
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Topaz

#36 Post by Topaz » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:52 pm

bnicho wrote: Details we need are:

Sizes and Quantities:
Name:
Daytime Phone number:
Address:
State:
Postcode:
e-mail address: (no we won't spam you!)
Payment Method:
Payment Amount (incl postage):

For card payments only, we also need:
Card Number:
Expiry Date:
Name on Card:
CVN Code from signature panel:
Can I please advise caution and never put your personal details in an email, Facebook, Fax etc. It is so easy for these to fall into the wrong hands and with the information provided a fraudster would have complete access to your bank account or credit card. :o I would suggest that customers use Paypal as I understand that there is some buyer's protection and the payment can at least be traced if anything goes wrong.

Have to say that I fully support what you doing and hope you raised a lot of cash for your chosen Charity

Mike

P.S. Is the dog for sale :?: :lol:

bnicho

#37 Post by bnicho » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks Mike.

I work in the Point Of Sale field, so I am aware of the risks.

If someone wants to use Credit Card they can split the details over multiple e-mails to reduce the risk. We can also accept orders by phone on +61 (03) 5250 4842, but remember our time zone is 11 hours ahead of yours.

No, the dog is not for sale. He belongs to my co-driver and is just as crazy!

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

#38 Post by bnicho » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:12 am

Fun with the drivers side rear door. We thought the welding was finished! It was stuffed with a 15+ year old Bacchus Marsh newspaper and inches of bog.

Funny, Bacchus Marsh is near where I live and is exactly where we are currently looking for a new house. Yet this car came from completely the opposite side of Melbourne.

We got a bit carried away with the sanding and ended up with a mostly bare metal Mini.

Now in primer and spray putty. On Saturday we will lay on the final paint!

Don't let the primer fool you, it's not real straight and there will be some visible sanding marks etc. It's only got to look good from 20 feet.

Of course, we are still seeking donations for the Cancer Council. The reason we are doing this rally is it is the best way for a couple of Mini nuts to support their great work. My employers will double the first $5K we raise. So help us remove as much as possible from BP's coffers and transfer it to the Cancer Council!

http://fundraise.shitboxrally.com.au/team_bmc

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

#39 Post by bnicho » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:22 pm

Team BMC had a busy Saturday. Our Shitbox van is now painted. With rattle-cans of course!

Almost before the paint was dry, we started reassembling.

Now I'm having fun stringing the lovely new loom donated by Vintage Wiring Harness through the car. http://www.vinwire.com.au

Is it wrong to be excited by wiring? :D

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

#40 Post by bnicho » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 pm

I've been quiet for a while as we worked on the rally car.

Last night we passed an important milestone. Brakes and suspension all complete.

Engine and gearbox will be fitted tomorrow. :D

Plenty of clearance in the rear now thanks to jacking rings. It will come down a bit when we load it up with fuel, spares and camping gear though.

We would also like to welcome official sponsor Cambridge Locksmiths from Penrith in NSW. Ian Free is a Moke owner who approached us via the Moke Forum ( shorty 68 ) offering sponsorship. If you live in Western Sydney or the Blue Mountains and need a locksmith, these are the guys to call. They promise not to laugh if you lock yourself out in your fluffy slippers!

http://www.cambridgelocksmith.com.au/

Officially the total is now at $3954. We also have another $50 cash donation from Peter Richardson not yet backed. That brings our total to $4004 not including T-shirt sales. So we have reached our $4000 minimum and our position is confirmed. :)

Of course we are still welcoming donations and T-shirt sales. I would dearly like to raise $5000AU so we can turn that into $10K with my employer's matching fund. :)

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder