Mrs Bnicho's 1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: Mrs Bnicho's 1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey

#11 Post by JPB » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:54 pm

arceye wrote:......Your missus must be made up :)
Nah, she's real enough. :lol:

I do love a MK1 and even though I've bought - but have yet to see in the plastic :evil: - a late miniCord from its one and only previous owner, I'd find some space for a MK1 to keep the GRP-bodied South American product company on those long nights in the dark of the steading I bought to keep old cars in..

Arceye's got a point; I'm sure that 3 from every 4 "1960s" minis on eBay are actually very late shells with an old registration document and a dodgy VIN plate, well it seems that way sometimes.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

bnicho

#12 Post by bnicho » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:04 am

The price I paid for Audrey was a "mates rates" price but it did reflect the condition and rarity of the car. It would have fetched more on the open market I reckon. But I never intend to allow that to happen. :)

Most of the roundnose Minis we have here are from the 1960's. Reshelling with imported Rover shells does happen, but it's gaol time if you are caught. :o

The rust problems are nowhere near as bad here and the Aus-built Minis were rotodipped, which means the survival rate is high. It's not hard to find an Aus-produced Mini as good body-wise this one. But it is rare to find an Aus car with low mileage or any sort of history file.

I don't think Audrey's ever been welded. The passenger door skin and battery box will need replacing sometime. The boot floor looks a bit thin in places and there is some bubbles around various seams. But we don't really want to restore it to "as new". We both like it with a few marks and scratches that show it's been loved and used.

The 69 Mini Van Rally Car I'm working on is very rusty by our standards, but probably quite normal for a project car in the UK. :)

Your Mini Cord sounds very interesting JPB. I'd love to see some pics and details of that one.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:16 am

Yeah, I suspect that I'm being ripped off there. My mate from Welsh Patagonia - having volunteered to sort the collection and shipping for me - travelled all the way to the vendor's premises only to find an empty, semi-derelict building about to be razed to make way for a section of some new road. A costly lesson, my cash has probably gone up someone's nose by now.
Still, onwards & upwards; back to the potentially more fruitful search for a UK-based mark 1 or 2 auto. ::
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: