Mrs Bnicho's 1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
bnicho

Mrs Bnicho's 1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey

#1 Post by bnicho » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:40 am

In 1996 my then-girlfriend Sarah moved from Wagga Wagga, NSW to Geelong, Victoria. Knowing of my love for Minis she commented on the very nice black Mini she saw parked near her house quite often.

Eight months later I moved to Geelong too. The very first day I was driving Sarah home when we passed that black Mini parked at the kerb. It looked very tidy but the badges were missing from the bootlid. As we passed the car, admiring it, I looked in the rear vision mirror and I saw the distinctive Austin grille. I can recall exclaiming something out loud, then slamming on the brake pedal, hard. We screeched to a smokey halt in the middle of the road. Sarah though I must have hit a dog or something we stopped so fast! I was just sitting there saying “Wow it’s an Austin” and babbling incoherently.

I parked properly and bailed out for a look, leaving Sarah still wondering at first what all the fuss was about. It was the first Austin Mini I had ever seen except in pictures. (Austin Minis were never sold in Australia. All our Minis were Morris badged and the specifications were quite different due to local content.) We both simply loved it from that moment. The regal black paint, the red trim, the crinkly grille and the full wheel covers. It was the best looking Mini we had ever seen.

From then on we passed that car almost every day. Then suddenly it vanished and a late 70's Ford Fairlane was parked in its place. With horror I realised the Mini might have been traded in on the Fairlane! I had to find out what happened to it.

After about a week of trying to summon up the courage I knocked nervously on the door. I asked the man who answered what happened to the black Mini. He simply said “Hang on, I’ll get the number.” and disappeared back into his house. I stood there for quite a while wondering if he had forgotten all about me. Finally he returned and gave me a business card and said “This is his number.” Huh? He then explained he had borrowed the Mini from a mate while the engine in his Fairlane was rebuilt. Then he told me the Mini was For Sale.

I could not believe the possibility of this beautiful Mini being mine. I called the number and went out with Sarah to see the car. We looked at the Mini, we drove it and we loved it all the more. The only problem was money! I was 22, fresh out of Uni and had just started my first “real job” in IT. I hadn’t even received my first monthly wage yet.

I went to the bank and applied for a personal loan. They approved it, but I felt it was too risky to borrow the money. I wanted to get married, save for a house and all the usual things. Regretfully I decided not to buy the Mini.

The owner, Ken, never advertised the car and he decided to keep it. Ken and I became friends and sometimes Sarah and I would take the Black Mini to car shows when Ken took one of his many other classic cars. This classy black Mini was used to ferry the Flower Girl and Page Boy to our wedding and Ken even trusted us to take it to Hay one year. We also used it for a few holidays and basically we becvame very attached to it.

For the last fifteen years Ken and I stayed in contact. All this time Ken told me if he ever sold the Mini I would have first refusal.

A few weeks ago, on my birthday(!!), I received a call from him telling me it was for sale. Conveniently my Corona Coupe had recently sold, so I had the cash. I bought it in secret and presented it to Sarah last Friday afternoon. She was totally surprised, absolutely delighted and burst into tears of joy. :)

It's a dream come true for us to finally own this very special little car. It started life in London with registration OGJ110E and later had Victorian rego LOV.004. Very appropriate for our April 1998 wedding!

Other than the flares and wheels Audrey is very original. The little 850 purrs along and has only done 74,000 miles. There is few small rust spots and the interior is not perfect. But the patina and originality just make it more special.

So, apparently I am now husband of the year for buying my wife her favourite classic car in the entire WORLD and I don't need to buy her flowers for the next five years. :D

The car at our wedding almost fifteen years ago:

The car last Friday night when I drove it home.

Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

Re: Mrs Bnicho's 1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey

#2 Post by bnicho » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:41 am

The exterior paint was redone and the unfortunate flares added in 1995.

The interior is all original except the carpets. The only deterioration inside is a couple of spits in the drivers seat and the vynil in the bottom of the front door pockets is missing. The trim has faded from the sun a bit too.

Some of the history file:

Old numberplates from Victoria and GB.

I also found the old log book and owners manual today, under the rear seat cushion!

Close-up of the framed receipt from when the car was purchased new:

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

#3 Post by bnicho » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:07 am

Family shot with Mopoke the Moke and Audrey the Austin:

Sarah's first drive of Audrey since purchase:

Kids in the back for the first time. Kenzie is reading an old Mini calendar we found in the car.

Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

pryantcc

#4 Post by pryantcc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

Great story Brett, and a great little car!

rich.

#5 Post by rich. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:51 am

nice story, congrats.. do you get to play with it too??

Xantia-nut

#6 Post by Xantia-nut » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:21 am

Ay up!

Mrs B looks a very happy woman indeed. Audrey was born the same year as I was and Mrs XN wishes that I was in as good condition as she is.

Lovely cars - a Mini is on my list of cars I'd like to own but SWMBO has planted her foot. One XN, one car. End of. :roll:
If in doubt, give it a clout!

If that don't work, fetch a bigger 'ammer!

1993 Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX

bnicho

#7 Post by bnicho » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:25 pm

Hi,

I'm very lucky to have a wife who is tolerant of my car habits and yes, I do get to play with Audrey too.

Sarah (Mrs Bnicho) only really likes Minis and their derivatives, plus air cooled VW's. Pretty much everything else is "just a car". I don't agree with the last bit, but at least her favourite models are also mine. :)

I got off my butt and got some more pics.

Audrey is currently plate-less pending new "Club Permit" plates and log book. The plates change when ownership changes and the new ones are in the mail. So the old UK rear plate went back on for the photos. I think it suits her, I wish I could keep it on there.

Engine bay is largely untouched, just quite grotty and unrestored. "Austin" sticker on the rocker cover fell off recently. :(

Some old pics of adventures with Audrey.

A much younger me with Audrey at Hay Mini Nationals 2000.

Scanned from Sarah's scrapbook - Hay 2000 again. Somewhere on the Hay plains, 160km of nothingness.

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Luxobarge

#8 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 am

Fantastic story Brett - keep it coming.

Personally I'd lose the aftermarket wheels and arches,particularly on such a good example of such an early car, but perhaps that's just me. Great car though, I hanker greatly after one of these, worth a mint in the UK now though!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

bnicho

#9 Post by bnicho » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 am

Agreed, those wheels and flares must go to return Audrey to as stock as possible.

Unfortunately removal of the flares will require the holes to be carefully welded up. I don't trust my abilities, so I will have to find someone to do the job for us.

Cheers,
Brett.
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

arceye

#10 Post by arceye » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:24 am

Definately a brilliant tale and a lovely little car.

The '79 mini 1000 I did for the boy ended up with dunlop D1's and arches, he's threatening to give it back in lue of proper rent when he's got a years driving in, so if it does come back it'll be another refurb (the first one rushed to get him on the road and leaving plenty still to do) and a nice set of proper 10" steelies.

That car of your's though, a very nice buy, just looks so bloody straight, you'd go a long way to find one in that shape over here, even the boys which is 10 years newer has a mass of welded repairs. Also nice to see a proper one rather than a 90's reshell wearing old plates.

Your missus must be made up :)