Rover 100 Knightsbridge SE

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Richard Moss

Re: Rover 100 Knightsbridge SE

#11 Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Some more up to date pictures from today:
Floors after repair, including distant shot of the alloy wheels that will be fitted once they've been repainted silver:
Suspension needs a tidy up
Interior and boot
Exterior
repaired arch

Richard Moss

#12 Post by Richard Moss » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Flew through the MOT today - very impressive emissions results, apparently.

MG Mal

#13 Post by MG Mal » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:23 pm

That's great news Richard.

Must admit I didn't need to do anything to the fuel system other than super unleaded and a good dose of Wynn's injector cleaner when it came my way.

I find the 8v K series runs far better in both power and economy terms, if treated to a good clean out every month or so depending on mileage.

Mal.

Richard Moss

#14 Post by Richard Moss » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:20 am

Thanks Mal. It's up for a damned good servicing next

Richard Moss

#15 Post by Richard Moss » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:49 pm

I have done quite a bit of work on this during my couple of weeks holiday in the UK (but sadly I'm now back in the Middle East):

I "reconditioned" 4 alloy wheels and repainted them in "steel wheels" (rather than very shiny silver) - a colour which meets with the owner/driver's approval. The wheels had been very badly painted with black aerosol (including the plastic centre caps and had quite a few areas of corrosion. I removed the corrosion with a rotary wire brush, sanded off the black paint, etch primed, filler primed and resprayed all four. The centre caps were cleaned up with cutting paste and then the badges carefully masked before spraying to match the wheels. They look great and the slightly wider offset gives the car a completely different "stance". I fitted new wheel nuts, including locking nuts, so hopefully she won't lose the wheels!

The whole car was covered in small scratches from where it had been under a tarpaulin before we bought it - I spent a whole day tidying them up with cutting paste and then polishing the paintwork (Colourmagic) and plastic (black trim polish). It looks great now. The cutting paste I used was from Wilko and cost about £2.25 for a tube and worked really well, and their stockinette polish cloth was great value for money, too.. You can see how well it came out in this shot that shows the reversing sensors I fitted. The reversing sensor were about £10 on ebay and were the pre-coloured ones but weren't quite a perfect match. So, I painted the surrounds on them with Halfords Tahiti blue paint (a really good colour match):

Then I resealed the leaking screen seals by injecting black silicon sealant under both lips of the outside of the seal (glass and bodywork). I put loads in and left it a couple of days to cure before trimming off the excess (using a knife on the glass side and a sharpened wooden cooking spatula on the bodywork side). Total success :) Likewise the sunroof where water was coming in through the bolts attaching the handle to the glass - I removed them and resealed with the black silicon.

It's old enough to not have had a high level brake light fitted when new so I got one from ebay for a fiver and fitted that, running the wiring under the inner lip of the rear screen seals and then through the C-pillar to the rear light. Neat, tidy and enhanced safety.

The rusty areas of the scuttle were cut out and new sections welded in after being cut from a NOS genuine scuttle panel. The rusty section included the VIN stamping so I stamped the number into the new panel before welding it in. It was sealed and painted with Halfords aerosol and looks pretty good.

A few bits of the engine bay hardware also got treated to a tidy up with Granville metal paint, which was also used to paint the suspension and steering.

All superficial rust on the bodywork underneath was treated with Kurust and then the Granville paint and all box sections were given a thorough coating with rust proofing cavity wax. The hydragas displacers and all pipework etc got similar treatment before the whole underside was hit with Schutz/waxoyl underseal. The suspension was all wire brushed and painted with the Granville black paint.

Lots of other little jobs were done (replacing a broken air vent, fitting additional power sockets for satnav etc) and seeing as non-one uses cassette tapes any more (well, certainly no 17 year old girls!), I modified the cassette storage box shown in this photo - snipping out the dividers and laying it flat to act as an oddment storage box) - but I forgot to get an "after" photo for those jobs.

Hopefully it's all set up for 12 months of non-eventful motoring for my daughter.

One other thing I can say is that it's a great car to drive - perky through the gears, subjectively as a fast as a my old MG metro due to the better gearing from the 5 speed box. The combination of the K series engine and the 5 speed box makes it much more refined than A-series powered cars, too. It's a real hoot on country roads and civilised enough to make 300 miles on the motorway a manageable day's driving.

vulgalour

#16 Post by vulgalour » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:48 pm

That's a really pampered little 100, and deservedly so too. All good work I'd say, and very neatly accomplished, so much so I think I'd be hard pressed to see some of the improvements you'd made if you hadn't pointed them out.