MERCEDES 190, Nearly a classic

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
arceye

Re: MERCEDES 190, Nearly a classic

#11 Post by arceye » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks peeps, a couple of interesting thoughts there.

I was thinking about the timing chain as mentioned by Junkyarddog, and what came to light is that originally Mercedes fitted a single chain, which is reckoned to go wrong unless changed pretty often. Roundabout 1989 / 90 these were changed for a Duplex type chain which is reckoned to go on pretty much forever.

Luckily Mercedes put the chain in such a position as it is easily visible through the oil filler hole in the rocker cover. A quick look shows mine to be fitted with the double chain so that was nice to know.

Anyway, shes more or less done now, I did a little welding around the drain holes underneath, just four little patches, and a couple of plates at the headlamp boxes up front.

1 new wing, 4 new tyres, a fresh Mercedes badge on the bonnet, fresh anti roll bar fitted, electrics recommissioned and she is almost good to go. To be sure I popped her in for a MOT just to see what came up not wanting any nasty surprises later with the car having been in a ditch, she promtly failed on emissions despite all new ht leads, dizzy cap, plugs and coil. That was all though and as I only want to put her on the road in Novemeber I'm pretty happy with that.

So only emissions to go, she was a bit lumpy at tickover and a little underpowered on setting off, but having had the carb apart she now is running sweet, I want to try a CO tester before I put her back at the start of Novemebr but don't forsee any problems.

Looking sorry....

And now together again and almost ready to go, the paint for the wing was a single stage metallic without clearcoat and though a good match does show along the side of the car, I think due to the lack of clear. As I have to tidy the doors soon though Ill be blowing along the length of the drivers side so it should blend ok. I may try a clear over it regardless just as I think it will be nicer.

I'm quite looking forward to getting her on the road in Novemeber, the only reason I'm not doing it now is I have my no claims insurance policy on something else and am fed up with the way the insurance companies never seem to be able to switch vehicles now, instead insisting on cancelling the current one and taking a fresh one out. So they can whistle for the cancellation fee and new policy comission, I'll go elsewhere when the current one runs out at the beginning of Novemeber.

alabbasi

#12 Post by alabbasi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:05 am

A common problem with the Mercedes Benz M117 V8 engines of the era is that they would jump time because the plastic guide rails would break due to age, even with a double row chain.

It may be worthwhile to pull the cam cover and inspect the upper rail. Aside from that, nice buy!

arceye

#13 Post by arceye » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:52 am

Cheers mate, yeah probably wise to check, I know it was a problem on some of the earlier 190's and I think there was a revised tensioner.

Given things deteriorate with time as well as use I think regardless of anything a change of chain and tensioner somewhere around the 100k when that comes up would probably be a wise thing to do, so I shall look at that to be safe aswell.

arceye

#14 Post by arceye » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:23 pm

Well, I'm nothing if not unpredictable......... :oops:

MOT passed no bother, and then the baby Merc hasn't actually been back home, rather it seems to have changed shape, colour and size..

It now looks like this

That'll be another project then :oops: Low mileage and Dry stored for 14 years which up here seems to be as bad as sitting out...

Other than its a Moto Guzzi 750 I don't know the model or how correct it is so if anyone knows do feel free to say, according to the log book it was imported in 94 and declared manufactured in 84. It also comes with another part bike a 1995 guzzi 350 so it may on investigation turn out to be a bit of both.

Time will tell, for now I think I will get it running and then pop it away til the Riley gets near finished. If there is any interest I might start a thread here when I do something with it, though I do realise it only has two wheels.

zipgun

#15 Post by zipgun » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Readymade Ratbike ! :)

arceye

#16 Post by arceye » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 am

zipgun wrote:Readymade Ratbike ! :)
A bit of Matt black and good to go? :lol:

rich.

#17 Post by rich. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:07 pm

me likey :D

SirTainleyBarking

#18 Post by SirTainleyBarking » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 pm

I hate to tell you this, but someone has nicked two of your Merc's wheels....

Do like Guzzi's. Nice comfy rides that go nicely
Landrovers and Welding go together like Bread and Butter. And in the wet they are about as structurally sound

Biting. It's like kissing except there's a winner

Luxobarge

#19 Post by Luxobarge » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 pm

SirTainleyBarking wrote: Nice comfy rides that go nicely
Woof! :shock:
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

arceye

#20 Post by arceye » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 pm

:D :lol:

Yup, changed a little didn't it............

With picking up a little modern and having got rid of my other bikes a few months back having pledged to give them up, I couldn't resist, an aquaintance / friend / fellow rust trader / swapper wanted the Merc but wasn't in a position to come up all monied, and as the Merc didn't owe me a lot other than time a deal was struck.

Underneath the crusty bits its not too bad really, a relatively simple strip / clean / paint (some powder coating if funds allow) / recommission type project assuming the engine is still good to go after hibernation. Only 14k kilometers on the clock probably makes it one of the untidiest per km travelled Guzzis around.

I think the real problem is I like mending things and the shine wears off a little when they are fixed, you see a lot of rust up here and find yourself looking past it and the temptation to save something else bites :oops:

One thing that is definately staying though is that Riley :D