MERCEDES 190, Nearly a classic

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
arceye

Re: MERCEDES 190, Nearly a classic

#31 Post by arceye » Sun May 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Cheers mate,
Thats kind of how I understood it previously, but that on euro cars there should be a trimming knob marked 1 to 7 for advancing the ignition. This would be normally found on the N/S inner Wing, and on some cars behind the battery. I believe however that US market cars did not have the knob and where not readily adjustable though as you say you could do something with the resitors.

That system as you say works off a Crank sensor and the distributor has no parts other than rotor arm and as such no adjustment can be made. This I believe is the common system used and is known as EZL.

Now on mine there is absolutely no sign of an adjustment knob.

But.... Mercedes also fitted another system, which is TSZ, this is some kind of transitorized system, and the distributor contains a hall type sensor rather than using a crank sensor.

Now, on mine, if I undo the distributor clamp and rotate the distributor it will alter the engine running speeding up or decreasing revs until a point where the engine hunts in the normal way. Having also had the distributor cap off, there is definately a Hall type sensor in there aswell.

So I can only assume I have the TSZ ignition sytem on mine though I'm happy to stand corrected if not.