Fifi and Friends

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Xantia-nut

Fifi and Friends

#1 Post by Xantia-nut » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Ay up!

Recent activity in our workshop has shamed me into doing summat with my Pride and Joy.
Porker.JPG
Shiny, innit?
Porker.JPG (100.11 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
This was an ubershed when it arrived. The paint was shocking pink and very matt - I will post a piccie when I get my hands on the Centre's camera! Now look at it. I had to do summat:
Starting Pt.JPG
Feel free to say eeuuuuggghh!
Starting Pt.JPG (117.9 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
The dents will be sorted later but 1st I need to see 'em. This car was unwashed for 3 years at one point. The "scut" behind the rear window was weathered matt and the paint an intaglio of little scratches.
Shaun hard at work.JPG
Shaun hard at work.JPG (121.44 KiB) Viewed 2336 times
One of our trainees hard at work, putting the final polish on the paint. Looking good!

See the next instalment for the finished job.....
If in doubt, give it a clout!

If that don't work, fetch a bigger 'ammer!

1993 Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX

Xantia-nut

Re: Fifi and Friends

#2 Post by Xantia-nut » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:41 pm

And now the finished article!
Fifi finished.JPG
Fifi finished.JPG (110.52 KiB) Viewed 2333 times
Shiny enough for you?

The work was carried out at my new Workplace, Timken Vocational Training in Wolverhampton. Appropriately, we occupy the former Body Finishing Shop of the old Sunbeam works on Upper Villiers Street. And guess who now owns the Sunbeam trademark?

Fifi comes home, in a way.

The Porsche 924S and an old Vauxhall van in the background. These vehicles are dismantled then reassembled by our trainees. They do find the 2nd part of the job harder than the 1st......

Xantia-nut

#3 Post by Xantia-nut » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Ay up!

As promised, piccies of the Porker pre-polishing. Try saying that with a stutter! Camera obtained piccies downloaded and modded.
Before.JPG
Before.JPG (113.81 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
+

After a day's hard work - just final hand polish needed.
Before.JPG
Before.JPG (113.81 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
The scrapman has supplied the front bumper today but - it's busted and missing lights from one end. :cry:
Attachments
During.JPG
During.JPG (117.16 KiB) Viewed 2312 times

Xantia-nut

#4 Post by Xantia-nut » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 pm

Ay up!

Meet another of Fifi's friends - Shaun's Peugeot 306 cabrio. This had a loud, gruff voice caused by a major leak at the downpipe joint which we sorted.
Shaun hard at work.JPG
Shaun hard at work.JPG (113.6 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
Shaun removing the downpipe. Luckily not a vid - it would have got me banned! The ball-headed bolts were seized solid and sheared off. We then had to tap the cast iron "bowls" from the manifold. With a 4lb hammer, deep impact socket and a long extension bar! :twisted:
The problem.JPG
The problem.JPG (116.91 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
And there you see the prob. A previous owner had slackened off the manifold bolts to give it that "Bad Boy" farty sound but was too tight to buy a "performance " exhaust. The constant vibration had worn away the cup.

Anyway, this was welded up and ground smooth using my modeller's rotary tool and mounted grindstones. Thing is, I now need a new set of mounted grindstones!

One more for the moment: Fifi at home, all shiny and clean. Now raindrops cascade from the roof under braking! Haven't had that for a while....
Fifi at home!.JPG
Fifi at home!.JPG (123.59 KiB) Viewed 2304 times

Xantia-nut

#5 Post by Xantia-nut » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Ay up!

We have a new addition to our workshop fleet - a Daewoo Matiz. I drew the short straw - I had to drive the thing back to base.

However, I got a suprise. I was determined to hate it. Small, lacking charisma with 800cc of raw chutzpah! I found instead that it was as much fun to drive as a Mini, fairly comfy even for my rather corpulent 6 foot 3 inch frame (the vendor suggested a shoehorn!), cornering as if on rails and, provided the revs were kept up, pretty nippy. And amazingly rorty, sounding like a V12 when it hit peak revs! Kinda like a cross between a Mini and a Fiat 500.

Piccy to come later - guess who didn't have his blithering camera on him!

alfaSleep

#6 Post by alfaSleep » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Xantia-nut wrote:Ay up!

We have a new addition to our workshop fleet - a Daewoo Matiz. I drew the short straw - I had to drive the thing back to base.

However, I got a suprise. I was determined to hate it. Small, lacking charisma with 800cc of raw chutzpah! I found instead that it was as much fun to drive as a Mini, fairly comfy even for my rather corpulent 6 foot 3 inch frame (the vendor suggested a shoehorn!), cornering as if on rails and, provided the revs were kept up, pretty nippy. And amazingly rorty, sounding like a V12 when it hit peak revs! Kinda like a cross between a Mini and a Fiat 500.

Piccy to come later - guess who didn't have his blithering camera on him!
How was the change?...... Linkage on the box is listed as being [almost]..NOT.. quite 'rifle bolt' :?:

That said..... I was quite happy with a 'local' renter who supplied a 5door, c/locking... :shock: ..., when I needed wheels whilst having the head off my 2.0 LPT 9000 skimmed.. So fast - So thirsty.. .. a few years ago now..'only in dreams' these days, sadly.... :cry:

alfaSleep
'the french will always be there when they need you'...Monty ;<)

Richard Moss

#7 Post by Richard Moss » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:13 am

Xantia-nut wrote: The work was carried out at my new Workplace, Timken Vocational Training in Wolverhampton. Appropriately, we occupy the former Body Finishing Shop of the old Sunbeam works on Upper Villiers Street. And guess who now owns the trademark?.
I know the area - there are loads of great little businesses in that area. I used to live in Castlecroft.

Xantia-nut

#8 Post by Xantia-nut » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm

Ay up!

The 'change was as good as a Ford - say no more! Grab a gear, wait for it to roar, grab the next. Snickety-snick.

OK, wheel bearings are VERY vocal and the brake pedal is very low. Sortable!

Xantia-nut

#9 Post by Xantia-nut » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Ay up!

Some more piccies:
The workshop.JPG
The workshop.JPG (124.09 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
1st off, a piccie of my playpen. Occasionally into this sheltered world of dubious classic-ness comes a little rain in the form of an LDV minibus.

2nd, the Rover.
Rover 216.JPG
Rover 216.JPG (97.15 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
Tatty but in reasonable fettle mechanically. Should be great for our kids!

And finally.....
The Beast!!.JPG
The Beast!!.JPG (114.64 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
Curb your over-enthusiasm at the back there.....

JPB

#10 Post by JPB » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I rolled one of those once, albeit not the Daewoo-badged version. It deserved to die though the hire company's complaints department suggested that it didn't. They were wrong! :evil:

I only had it while one of my A60s was VOR with a dead torque converter, given more time I'd probably have found a way to burn it too.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: