My Rover 2000SC automatic daily driver

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
mach1rob

Re: My Rover 2000SC automatic daily driver

#41 Post by mach1rob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:52 pm

Excellent result! If it helps, my old P5 (mk3 66 vintage) had been sat in a field for god knows how long, my mate bought it for his dad same time I bought a &4 P6 for spares for my S1, but that turned out too good to use as it failed the MOT on the handbrake, but that's another story!

The 3 litre ran a treat after being dormant for so long, and after much welding to sills and D posts it was resprayed, the green leather coloured to cream, and finally finished in 2 tone blue my mates dad wanted as the car was going to him. Ended up dealing the P6 and some other bits for the P5 in the end, and the only downside I had, was not having enough time to enjoy it, and it was eventually sold on.

Great to see another one saved, good luck with it all, look forward to seeing it all back on the road :)

FrazzleTC

#42 Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:05 pm

It's been absolutely ages since I last last posted, so I've copied and pasted my last few posts from another blog.
This was written at the start of May.
Since the last update of my blog, rather a lot has changed with regard to my fleet. Both the P5B, and the 3 litre coupé have gone to pastures new, both within the forum as I'm sure you'll have seen. This was due to the ridiculous insurance situation with regard to the P5B, and in the case of the 3 litre, realising that my skills didn't quite extend as far as I'd hoped they would. I thoroughly enjoyed my brief ownership of the P5B, and would certainly like another one at some point.
Now that they're gone, the 75, and 2000 are still here, though the 75 may well be going very soon. At the moment, the 2000 is off the road again, with the MOT looming in less than a month's time. At the moment, I'm waiting for a universal joint for the driver's side, as I've noticed it's getting noisy like the other side did at around the same time last year. I've also got to fit new brake pads, and work out why it's used the pads far more on one rear caliper than the other. Aside from this, it'll also need some welding to the passenger side rear arch for the MOT, as it had on the driver's side last year. So, rather an expensive couple of weeks ahead, but I'm very much looking forward to getting out and about in the 2000 again soon. Since my last update, I've fitted a new thermostat to the P6, and carried out an oil change. The 75 has had new tyres too.
Here is a selection of recent photos of the cars before the P5s both departed.
So, hopefully I'll be able to focus on the P6 again, and get it back up to scratch. I'm looking at other classics too, with the hope of running the P6, and something else, for the summer. We shall see how things develop, but the 2000 should be sorted soon. Unfortunately, however, this does mean that I don't have a roadworthy classic for drive-it-day, which is rather disappointing.

FrazzleTC

#43 Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Later in May.
Since my last update, the 2000's rear wing has been removed to carry out a replacement to the panel behind the D post on the passenger side, which reaches up to the C pillar. This was done by a local classic restoration firm who've made a very nice job indeed. The new brake pads are fitted, and the universal joint replaced. The driver's side lower ball joint had serious play, so I've sourced a new one, and the garage will fit it for me. Hopefully once all of this work is finished, an MOT will be obtained. Meanwhile the 75 has behave faultlessly, and runs even better now it's got 6 new spark plugs.

FrazzleTC

#44 Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:07 pm

At the end of May.
Last Monday, at last, the 2000 passed its MOT with only a couple of minor advisories. So, to summarise, before the MOT, it required the following; one rear universal joint, new brake pads, a new section welded into place, and a new front lower balljoint. This has all contributed to making it rather more pleasant to drive once again. I finally fitted a new speedometer cable following the MOT success, and in a week, clocked up 500 miles in it. Initially I was rather concerned about the way it was running, but a few decent runs locally, getting the car properly warmed up really seemed to help it. It's definitely losing some coolant, but not massive amounts, and I reckon fitting an expansion tank should be next on my agenda.
On the Friday and Saturday, after work, I set about painting the insides of the front wheel arches with hammerite to tidy them up. I also painted the lips of the rear doors where the fold in to for the rear arch lip, which I think should have been black from factory really! My new numberplate arrived from Framptons as well, so while the old one was off, I rubbed down the plate mount, and repainted it in satin black, which I think makes it look much fresher again. The jacking block was also painted black, as it had been annoying me for some time, being body colour!
On Sunday I embarked on the 180 mile round trip to the Scottish All Rover Rally at the Museum of Rural Life in East Kilbride, and the car managed this without hiccup, and made a very pleasant travel companion, sitting at modern motorway speeds with ease, and, on sections of the M74, giving the odd Audi driver a surprise. :oops: :lol: 8) The show was excellent as well, and it was great to meet up with some familiar faces, and some new ones! I always enjoy getting back into the show season, and seeing just what I need to improve about my car, comparing it to other examples.
On the Monday evening, I went for a very pleasant run around Kirkcudbright, and out towards Borgue where I took a few photos. I replaced the thermostat again before I set off, and now it sits consistently in the green section of the temperature guage. It would appear that a jammed open thermostat was to blame for my car's over-cooling!
Once again, SGH 574F has endeared itself to me, and made me realise how much I like P6s. Looks like it's here to stay for a while! :D
As ever, more photos than are really necessary.

FrazzleTC

#45 Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Towards the end of July.
At this stage in July, I was hoping to be able to report back that the car had performed faultlessly since being put back into daily use, and that I was hoping to sell the MX-5. Until Sunday morning, this was, indeed, the case. It had covered over 2000 miles since the Scottish All Rover Rally, with no major problems. Then, on Sunday, I decided to go to Penrith to meet up with friends, and watch the Lake District Classic Rally. We watched the first autotest, before setting off to watch a later stage at Shap. I pulled up at a set of traffic lights on the main roundabout at Penrith, and when the lights changed to green, engaged drive, which was accompanied by a very large bang, and a distinct lack of forward motion. There was a very nasty crunch when I put it in park too, so I switched it off, and got out of the car, and it started to roll off down the hill. I wasn't thinking, and hadn't put the handbrake on. Thankfully, my friends who were in their classics parked, and came back to push me into a layby just off the roundabout. Modern drivers weren't terribly sympathetic to my situation, which didn't make moving the car any easier!
Needless to say, the Rover didn't go any further, and the RAC were called. They arrived out, and the chap seemed to enjoy looking around the car, and said there was nothing he could do other than call recovery, as I expected. He was very helpful though, and stayed until the recovery wagon arrived, at which point the Rover was loaded up, and headed home, and by which time, my dad had arrived with my MX-5, meaning I was able to see one more stage of the rally.
At the moment, I've not identified exactly what's at fault, but I'll likely know by tomorrow night. All I know is that the driveshafts aren't turning at the moment. Until this, the car was doing very well indeed, with only a couple of minor issues, one of my own doing, a burnt HT lead after it slipped onto the exhaust, and something which wasn't my fault, a snapped throttle return spring, which made for an exciting approach to a roundabout!
I went to Moffat show at the end of June too, which was a nice opportunity to see a couple of other P6s, and see where my needs improved. I've fitted a new fanbelt, and some general servicing too. The weekend before, I met up with another P6-owning friend, and we were able to compare cars, which was interesting.
Here are the photos.

FrazzleTC

#46 Post by FrazzleTC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Last Friday, the Rover finally returned to service, with a factory reconditioned differential, and the difference is astounding. There's no thunk when it goes into drive, and no knocks from the rear anymore. When we took the old diff apart, we discovered that both of the plantetary gears have sheared off! Something that nobody appears to have ever witnessed on a 2000 before! :shock: :lol:
I've been running the Rover all weekend, and it's been going well, though it needs some timing done, as it's pinking, and it's drinking fuel like it's going out of fashion, probably because the mixture is wrong too. It's just needing tinkered with since it's not been used for a while, and has done a couple of hundred miles in a very short space of time. The diff remains quiet, so I'm very pleased with it. I've given it a polish and a coat of wax, and will be getting it thoroughly rust-proofed in the next few weeks.
Here are a few photos taken on my trip out the other day!

JPB

#47 Post by JPB » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Before reading your post regarding the cause of the breakdown, I was convinced that you were about to tell us that the flex plate had sheared around its hub. That can make a bang if it happens when you're just starting to pull away but I know a bloke who runs a 6B with LT77 gearbox and 3.9 litre Range Rover-spec engine (much torque, very much), he drives it like a total arse and leaves rubber on the road frequently yet the (bog standard, ex-factory) diff in his example is without noise and isn't one of the many parts of the car that he's broken by driving too hard during the last few years.

Old metal can suddenly and without warning suffer terminal fatigue though I've not heard tell of anyone else breaking a P6 diff, especially not in a 4 cylinder car. Well done, medal due! :D

Shane, if you're reading this, you do drive like an arse and see what's going to happen to you if you don't buck your ideas up sharpish? :lol:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

FrazzleTC

#48 Post by FrazzleTC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:10 pm

It's been a long time since I last updated this thread, and in that time, quite a lot has happened to the car!
First of all, the engine swap was successfully carried out throughout December, and the car was ready by the second week in January. The new engine was put in, using the original rocker cover, the rebuilt carb from the previous engine, a new waterpump, high quality HT leads, a Lucas Sports coil, and a few other bits and pieces. The first day I had the car back, it ground to a sudden halt in Dumfries, as a result of water contamination in the fuel, meaning that the car had to be recovered home to get the tank drained.
The next weekend I was home from uni, I ventured out once again, only to break down on that Friday evening, with an intermittent running problem, particularly when the car was warm! Eventually, it just wouldn't start at all, so I called the breakdown service, and by the time they arrived, it would start. I then drove it home, followed by the breakdown company, and as soon as they left, it stalled, and wouldn't start again.
The next morning, one of my friends offered to lend a hand in diagnosing the problem, cleaning various contacts, replacing fuses, and spraying things with GT85, to no avail, with the car cutting out again. Eventually, I had another look at the rotor arm, and realised what a poor quality one it was, so this was replaced with a red one from Simon BBC, and since then, the car has run very well indeed, which leads me onto the car's most recent big outing! I’ve still not got round to fitting the electronic ignition kit, nor the square 8s, but I’ll get these jobs done when I’ve got another free weekend!

Over the weekend, I toured the Lake District with my friends, who had a few classics, and a couple of moderns too, which I’ve tried to keep out of the photos. Despite some fairly large concerns regarding snow, and other bad weather, we were very lucky.
On Saturday morning, I got the Rover out of the garage, only to find a bit of an ATF leak, so the level was checked, and topped up. I’ll need to sort this in the next few weeks. One of my friends was coming from Ireland, so we left Castle Douglas at around 12:30, and arrived in Penrith at 2pm. The Rover performed brilliantly on the way there, sitting quite happily at motorway speeds, and pulling far better on steeper sections than it has done previously. It’s now a lot more relaxed on the motorway, with the new differential fitted last year, and the new engine. I got quite a few big waves when I was in the outside lane.

From the Rheged centre, we travelled a rather contorted route through Keswick, skirting round Honister, where we stopped for an ice cream, in defiance of the wintry weather. From there, we drove to Eskdale, where we had booked a Youth Hostel, and we retired to a nice country pub for some dinner, and a chat that evening.
On Sunday morning, the weather was spectacular, and although still cold, the roads were pretty good. From Eskdale, we decided to tackle Hardknott and Wrynose, both of which were spectacular, though somewhat icy in the more shaded parts. The 2000 didn’t struggle much at all with the climbs, with the temperature gauge remaining resolutely in the green zone. I’ve noticed an appreciable difference in performance, and a real opportunity to enjoy the car’s handling to a greater extent too! We then progressed to Ambleside, where we had a spot of lunch before embarking on the final leg of our trip. From Ambleside, we decided to head over a series of roads known as the scissors, and a route very popular with 12 car rallies, back in the day! Despite its bulk, the 2000 kept pace with the Midget with ease, and this section was most enjoyable. We then went though Kirkby, over Kirkby Moor into Ulverston, where the Rover was filled with petrol, again. From there, we drove to the Lakeland Motor Museum for a perusal, as it was a while since many of us last visited. We had the only classics in the car park, which, given that it was a nice day was quite surprising. I can highly recommend the museum, though the £7.80 entry is expensive for what is really a relatively small museum. The exhibits are varied though, and it’s possible to have a proper look at the cars, which, if anyone has visited the new Glasgow Museum, comes as a pleasant surprise.
Once we’d all had a coffee and a chat in the tearoom, we all headed back home, though my Stephen, and I decided to head back North through the Lakes, coming off the A595, going through Ambleside, up to Keswick, across to Penrith, then North to Carlisle, where we had some dinner, then I went back home along the M74, to Lockerbie, then home.

In all, an excellent weekend, with some fantastic company, as ever, and, for the first time in a very long time, a perfectly behaved Rover, despite some very spirited driving! Fuel economy was borderline ridiculous, but it wasn’t being driven very sedately, and I still could set it up better.
So, the next jobs I would like to sort out are a good coating of underseal, fitting the square 8s, the electronic ignition kit, some new window seals, and, if it behaves itself, some cosmetic work!
As always photos were taken!

Luxobarge

#49 Post by Luxobarge » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks for posting that - lovely cars, and nice to see you over here too!

It's been said before and I'll say it again - you take a fine photograph sir!

Cheers :D
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

mach1rob

#50 Post by mach1rob » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm sure I've seen that Midget in a magazine somewhere...

Oh and as for that old Montenogo ;)