1968 Ami 6

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Rhythm Thief

1968 Ami 6

#1 Post by Rhythm Thief » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 pm

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I thought I'd introduce you to my 1968 Ami 6 Break (that is to say, estate).
Here it is on the trailer on the way home from Kent to its new home in Herefordshire.

As you can see, it's had its back widows panneled in to make it into a van. I do have the glass, but it's actually a lot more use to me as a van, since I'll be carrying musical gear around in it and it's got a £300+ stereo system installed in it, so the harder it is to see in, the happier I am!

The original gearbox was knackered: it sounded like a tumble drier full of broken glass and kept jumping out of third gear on teh overrun. And with those ancient drum brakes, you use third gear on the overrun quite a lot! So my first job - after a quick spin around the block with my massive stereo on test - was to get the engine and gearbox out and replace the gearbox with a later one with less broken glass in it. The engine had already been replaced with a later 2CV engine, which is good because it will mate up with the later gearbox and be more practical for everyday use. Early 2CV engines were rubbish ...

Currently it's awaiting the arrival of a new clutch, then (six months after I bought it!) I should be able to start using it.

bnicho

Re: 1968 Ami 6

#2 Post by bnicho » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:52 am

Hi and Welcome.

I like the van look, makes it unique.

Not that an Ami doesn't look unique to start with. :)
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

JPB

#3 Post by JPB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:16 am

Those things are simply amazing. Love them to bits!
Pop yourself a GS X2 motor in there and you'll be sorted. ;) ( :roll: @ the cheek of it)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Paul240480

#4 Post by Paul240480 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:20 pm

This old beast lives not far from me:

Crappy pics, soz :oops: phone cam on wrong setting. It looks like a 'dog' & I thought it had been left abandoned, but no it lives :D

I must get a better pic ;)