Winter Scenes (add yours here)

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Willy Eckerslyke

Re: Winter Scenes (add yours here)

#11 Post by Willy Eckerslyke » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 pm

(December 2010)
(January 2011)

jagdude

#12 Post by jagdude » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:39 am

JPB wrote:I see no Sceptres. :?
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5023/5615 ... 4089_z.jpg

Isn't this a Humber Sceptre??

Jim

Oops! Is it a Hunter? The roof threw me.

JPB

#13 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 am

Aye, 'it was a Hunter GLS, that vinyl roof was the only part of the car with any structural integrity remaining when that photo was taken. :(

Back then, scrapping it was the only way forward (in the picture it was waiting on my drive for the local scrapyard's flatbed to come and take it to car heaven, though the ice further down that 180 yard, mostly 1 in 4 drive would take a further day or two to melt sufficiently for the truck to make the collection).
Now, even allowing for its total absence of bits such as the inner sills, boot floor and rear chassis legs, I'd have restored the car as its aluminium-headed, twin Stromberg-fed engine and its plush interior with lots of wood and instruments were still good at the time.
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Talking Hoarse

#14 Post by Talking Hoarse » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:44 pm

JPB wrote:Aye, 'it was a Hunter GLS, that vinyl roof was the only part of the car with any structural integrity remaining when that photo was taken. :(

Back then, scrapping it was the only way forward (in the picture it was waiting on my drive for the local scrapyard's flatbed to come and take it to car heaven, though the ice further down that 180 yard, mostly 1 in 4 drive would take a further day or two to melt sufficiently for the truck to make the collection).
Now, even allowing for its total absence of bits such as the inner sills, boot floor and rear chassis legs, I'd have restored the car as its aluminium-headed, twin Stromberg-fed engine and its plush interior with lots of wood and instruments were still good at the time.
A Hunter GLS would be worth saving /having /keeping these days. But I thought that the GLS had the Holbay engine with twin 40DCOE Webers (and made that lovely noise too)?

JPB

#15 Post by JPB » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:58 pm

That one made a variety of noises, none of them especially pleasant! :D
It had CD150s but maybe someone had lost the original head & carbs at some previous point in its relatively short and rust-infested life. I suppose I should be glad that it didn't come into my custodianship with a whacking great pair of side draught carbs, the evil thing was quite thirsty enough on the 'Bergs. :(
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

MrTibbs

#16 Post by MrTibbs » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:49 pm

It snowed in Sheffield last night.

Here's my 230E with an almost 2-tone look to it.

Mike
Attachments
230E snow.jpg
230E snow.jpg (172.02 KiB) Viewed 1769 times

Aar0sc

#17 Post by Aar0sc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:16 pm

First off, last Saturday, this is at about 10pm:
And this was 4am:
Then on Sunday:
Then it started snowing last night, when I was at the pub, and woke up this morning to both a smashing headache and this:
(Alright, fine, it looks cute :P ).
Once again, cleared all the snow off it, had a lovely lunch (isn't nice when you have a whole school with hardly anyone at it!) then set off home in it. Big slide out of it's parked spot. In fact, the whole journey was mainly large slides and loud noise!
Filled Charlie's mini with fuel... which I then had to pay for, as he hadn't brought any money!
Jaunty angle, party because I got there from a large slide, partly because Charlie hit the side of my car! :evil:

Aaron
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

JPB

#18 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:25 pm

Well done for being one of the very limited number of people whose boot rack is actually fitted the correct way round and will actually do something to prevent your head becoming the meat in a suitcase sandwich in the event of a bump. :)
J

Aar0sc

#19 Post by Aar0sc » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:39 pm

JPB wrote:Well done for being one of the very limited number of people whose boot rack is actually fitted the correct way round and will actually do something to prevent your head becoming the meat in a suitcase sandwich in the event of a bump. :)
Second time you've congratulated me for that!

Not that I've ever carried anything on it, it flexes with a few manuals on it! Plus of course the hardtop kind of stops that problem anyway! :P
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500; 1974 Jaguar E-Type OTS V12

JPB

#20 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:48 pm

Aar0sc wrote:Second time you've congratulated me for that!
:oops: When you get to the wrong side of 40, it's generally enough to be able to remember where you live so excuse my forgetting such a thing. I'll just go and whip myself with a rolled up copy of CCW. :(
J