Morris 10M

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
TWOTENS

Re: Morris 10M

#61 Post by TWOTENS » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Yes, I am very pleased with it.
I have been notified that the speedo cable is on its way, so hopefully it will come for the weekend.
A couple of other bits are also hopefully winging their way towards me, including a new rubber grommet for the fuel filler where it comes through the rear wing.
I have also found some nice replica Lucas round wing mirrors to improve visibility whilst maneouvreing and warning me of overtakers. They have convex lenses, which modernises them nicely and have been fitted onto the wing tops.
Next on the list are flashing indicators.
Ironically after my exploits with the speedo, i took the Austin out on Sunday and its speedo packed up! Careful dismantling revealed a jammed needle and some light lubrication and a clean seems to have fixed it. Likewise a quick blow through has made the clock start working again.

This is a good website for understanding and repairing speedos and if you end up with a pile of bits that you can't fathom, they will put it back together for you for a small fee!

http://magnetic-speedometer-repair.com/index.html

TWOTENS

#62 Post by TWOTENS » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:18 pm

The speedo cable turned up okay. It had a small alloy pellet on the gearbox end, which plugged neatly, to my relief, into the receiver and then, after fiddling around to get a good route back into the car, I plugged it back into the speedo, fired up and went for a drive.,
Much to my relief, the needle progressed smoothly around the dial and all was well. So next important item is the petrol gauge. I seem to remember that it worked before I took the tank out and certainly the wiring was present, so I assume that I have lost the earth whilst painting everything before reassembly. It can, however, wait until the current arctic snap passes (-1 here just now and a bitter wind),
The new mirrors made a difference, although the car has a reasonably sized rear window, the interior mirror goves little or no clue of overtakers and the wing mirrors give that extra bit of reassurance. Google images show quite a few post war cars fitted with the Lucas round mirrors, and so I am reasonably confident that I haven't dome anything too 'out of period'.

TWOTENS

Re: Exhaust

#63 Post by TWOTENS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:11 am

I had always been a bit sceptical about the exhaust on this car. It seems a bit low slung, and once I had started driving, the note had become a bit splashy, although it was only very noticeable when starting up in the garage. The week before last, however, it seemed particularly bad. I rolled around underneath with the engine running and felt the usual leak points, joints and where the pipe enters the centre box. Nothing, and the box itself looked fairly good with some silver paint still in place, but by then the engine was starting to warm up and was emitting a plume of vapour into the chilly air. I realised that something was puffing out of the bottom of the box, and feeling along, eventually came upon a small split in the bottom face of the cylinder. So, it was obviously rotted out from inside, probably as a result of too much static running over the last few years, pooling condensation in the bottom of the box.
I had one of those Halfords metal exhaust wraps to hand, and as a temporary measure, clamped that around, which improved things considerably. However, the whole bottom of the box was probably wafer thin and this could only be considered a very temporary repair and would no doubt blow out further along on a longer run.
I had been looking into this for some time, anticipating that the silencer would probably not stand many trips when driving started in earnest, but had drawn no conclusions. Fortuitously, I had noted an ad in the Morris Register magazine for someone in Leeds doing Morris systems for Eights and Tens, in stainless steel, the M Series being £170.00 plus carriage. A phone call and a cheque via snail mail, and amazingly, within a couple of days, a package arrived with a new system in it. It looks to be very substantial, is complete with clamps, and at the moment is sat in the corner, awaiting the weekend and hopefully some warmer temperatures.
I will report back when I have had a go at fitting it.

JPB

#64 Post by JPB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

That's amazingly inexpensive, I don't see how the system supplier can make any money at that price. Good result!
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TWOTENS

#65 Post by TWOTENS » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 am

I agree. It is a fairly simple system, having said that.

TerryG

#66 Post by TerryG » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:03 pm

Wow, I paid £10 shy of that for the middle and rear sections in mild steel for my focus. That sounds like you got yourself a bit of a bargain!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.