Our Sunbeam Stiletto - Some Photos and the Story So Far!

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
classiccapsule

Our Sunbeam Stiletto - Some Photos and the Story So Far!

#1 Post by classiccapsule » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:29 pm

I've been meaning to take a few photos and start a blog and as the weather was so good on Thursday, we took the day off from making classic car stickers. Drove up through Hagley, round through Kinver, up to Bridgnorth, stopped for a coffee. Then on to Cleobury Mortimer, up onto the Clee Hills for a few photos and a sandwich, down to Tenbury Wells, then back through Bewdley and home to the Black Country. So through 4 counties in a day, 82 miles round trip, enjoyed every minute, worth all the effort, grief and expense incurred in the last few months...

The story so far and edited highlights....
Bought my Stiletto back in March from a trader in Cambridgeshire. Always liked Imps, my dad had two and I had one when I was a kid. Wanted a classic that was sensible in terms of running costs and petrol. Something that would keep up with modern day traffic and that was tax free. An Imp fitted the bill in all respects and so when I saw it on eBay, I made the call, did the miles, bought the car and had it delivered a week later....

Without major detail here are some of the trials and tribulations so far...

Two weeks after getting it it flooded the garage with petrol as the electic fuel pump had been wired permanently live via the coil. Fuel in every part of the engine. Oil and filter change, new underpants for me...

I had the steering rack, shocks (changed to Gaz, magic for the money!), brake hoses, front wheel cylinders and brake shoes all round changed at the garage prior to National Day...

Jobs I've managed myself in no particular order....

Sourced an original steering wheel from Germany, repainted and retrimmed it with a kit from eBay. Made up some thumbrests out of tin and covered them with leather he gave me free!

Stripped down the 28/36 Weber, cleaned out all the gunk and rebuilt it.

Replaced the awful Speedograph airfilter for a Ramflow one. Had to modify the baseplate as it blocked a couple of holes. Then I dropped a screw down the Weber and took an hour to get it back out with long nose pliars and Blu-tac. Bad memory that!

Changed both bumpers. A new one from Robin and a used front from Malcolm at National day as both were dented.

Replaced the standard wheels with Dunlop D1 replica's from JBW.

Restuffed the sun visors as they hung like witches tits from coathangers!

Sourced and fitted a new rev counter. Never again, trying to get the old one out of it's bezel so I could re-use it was no fun!

Replaced the cam cover with one that had the fuel pump aperature blocked off and put two cam cover gaskets on Hylomared together to stop oil leaking onto the manifold and slowly gassing me!

Put an electronic 45D4 dizzy on it I got from ebay. Had fun timing it up. Did the usual, get it close then go for a run with a spanner. Has improved the car no end as it was a pig from cold previously, despite new points, condenser and rotor arm.

Fixed the wiper motor at Imp National Day as the rack nut came off on the way over the mountain back from the Saturday run. How happy was I when it was only that!

Plus a good few other small jobs that you soon forget you've done....

Then came the biggy. Respray....

The paint and body were going in a few places. Front valance N/S, under the chromes below the rear windows on the wings, around the O/S rear lamp and a couple of bubbles on the arches. Basically every panel had a defect and it needed to be looked at, as left it would only get worse...

So... the long job of finding someone to repair it at the right money began. Now I've had cars sprayed in the past, just blow overs really. But I wanted something better, but not a Pebble Beach job. Just a nice job, to make me happy and the car look nice. Easy you would think....

In about 2 months I spoke to about 6 spray shops. Some weren't interested, some were majorly expensive and others didn't inspire confidence. I tried folks I knew from years back in the trade and even big bodyshops, nothing doing....Then I remembered a little place in Oldbury. He'd been there years and I saw his signs everytime I went to the tip. So I rang him thinking that he probably wouldn't be interested and it would save me the trip for a knockback. Anyway he asked me to drop down. He had a good look and said he would ring me. He'd done a good few classics in the past, had the right attitude, was approachable and was all over the car for half an hour. One bloke I went to gave me an instant price in 5 minutes without looking properly or pricing the paint up!

Anyway he rang, gave me a rough price and said he'd like another look. Took it down and spotted something I'd missed and we shook on a decent price. He wasn't any bother, car was ready 3-4 weeks later. Welded and painted and was exactly what I expected. Now I'm halfway through rustproofing it with Sika Guard. Speak as I find, he did a good job for the right money in-keeping with the value of the car and my expectations of what my budget would buy. So if you're in Brum or the Black Country and thinking about spraying an Imp give me a shout. You can take a look at mine over a cuppa and I'll give you his number if you like what he's done.

Anyway, enough waffle. Some photos.....

MOD EDIT - Business Advertisement removed.

One last thing! Some bits I need....

Hardboard cover for the wiper motor under the bonnet (mine is in two bits)
Pair of rear hatch stays for another car
A rear seat squab in black for the same car.

If you happen to have any of those, drop me a line at classiccapsule@btinternet.com

Finally, thanks for reading!
Last edited by bnicho on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of business advertisement.

suffolkpete

Re: Our Sunbeam Stiletto - Some Photos and the Story So Far!

#2 Post by suffolkpete » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:04 am

Lovely car, these are becoming all too rare. How about putting the details of your paint sprayer in the good garages section.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Geordie

#3 Post by Geordie » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:29 am

Great example.

There are a few of these (and Imps) sadly rotting away in my village....

One here.

and another four here!!

There is however, this smashing imp knocking around...

alfaSleep

#4 Post by alfaSleep » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:05 am

Geordie wrote:Great example.

There are a few of these (and Imps) sadly rotting away in my village....
Hiyya, M8

Gotts to be some worthwhile bits on those brownies....

During my IMPing days all the bits were from Craghead Metals, Sammys (Pelton), or up at the Hobson [one or two yards there, then].

Sadly, now North of the Tyne, we are left with robbing bu99ers along the river..... but West Sleekburn yards [Blyth] are still connected to reality - and don't use a metal detector on yrr overall 'turnups' ;)

Nice selection of Jap U have on show there........

alfaSleep :geek:
'the french will always be there when they need you'...Monty ;<)

skipper

#5 Post by skipper » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:31 am

Those Imps still about Geordie?!

Grumpy Northener

#6 Post by Grumpy Northener » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:35 pm

It's all too easy to forget what great little cars these were - and still are !!! - I can't recall seeing one this colour before though - looks very smart :)
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

TerryG

#7 Post by TerryG » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:46 pm

I was brought home from the hospital in my dads Singer Chamois. It had FLF on the number plate so had been nicknamed Fluff.
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

3xpendable

#8 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Lovely car, my brother has a restored Californian and he's now restoring an early Mk1 Deluke
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

skipper

#9 Post by skipper » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:40 pm

I think the Stiletto above is a Rover colour, Claret Metallic methinks! :thumbs:

rich.

#10 Post by rich. » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:23 am

nice :thumbs: :drool: