BRAVE or just FOOLISH RM RESTO

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
rich.

Re: BRAVE or just FOOLISH RM RESTO

#141 Post by rich. » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:37 pm

is this the same car??

arceye

#142 Post by arceye » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:53 am

It is Rich.

& Thanks chaps, I think you could well be right regarding warmth and humidity. The panels I sprayed in my shed which has a heater have only minimal blistering up to now, very minor and if they stay that way nothing that needs urgent correction if any.

The couple of panels that were small enough to bring in the kitchen (like the bonnet centre) and dried on top of the radiator show none at all.

The main affected areas are the actual frame of the car.. A panels, windscreen scuttle, etc and the bonnet sides which were sprayed in the garage and left to dry there.

I primered the first front wing in the little shed yesterday with plenty of heat and kept it on since, the new filter trap that goes just before the gun collected about a ml of water if that, so something has been getting through which wouldn't help but as suggested I think the main issue is that of enough warmth particularly in the drying stage.

So, hopefully I'm now on the right track and all will come good. Fingers crossed.......

rich.

#143 Post by rich. » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:25 am

you are doing a great job!!

arceye

#144 Post by arceye » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:51 am

Cheers mate :)

Fred J

#145 Post by Fred J » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Just catching up on your restoration after a gap getting my own RMA mobile.
You are doing amazingly well!
Power to your elbow.
Kind regards

arceye

#146 Post by arceye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:48 pm

Cheers Fred, hope you are enjoying yours. Its getting that time of year now for enjoying a bit of classic motoring.

Been a little slow on progress round here but hopefully another update soon as she has kept progressing little by little.

arceye

#147 Post by arceye » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:29 pm

I can't show much here as Rusty is still stuck in the garage on a jack waiting for me to replace the last wheel cylinder. When I get round to that I will get her out and cleaned off for some decent photos, and I'll get the chance to get rid of the debri that has yet again gathered all around her.

I rectified the worst of the microblistering that I mentioned a while back before getting slowly back on, though other matters have been keeping me from her we have still moved forward a little.

Definately in need of a bloody good clean off, we had strong winds today that brought on one heck of a dust storm off the neighbouring fields, it was like being sand blasted when you stepped outside, the garage door was open when it hit and the result can be seen all over the car.

All 4 wings are now in paint and on, both back doors are trimmed up, spare wheel cover is done and on.

Started on with the last door tonight but its the worst of the four so will take a bit of putting right. Whilst I still have the "sills" and the front number plate panel to sort the door is the last big repair body wise that stands between me and a test run, so I'll be glad when it is done and on.

kstrutt1

#148 Post by kstrutt1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:02 pm

After it was rear ended I painted my elan over the winter a few years ago and was paranoid about blistering, I had heaters on it when painting it and back ground heat and dehumidifier on all the time to make sure it never got too cold it worked a treat but the £350 extra on the electric bill was a bit of a shock!

The car is looking great, keep up the good work.

Kevin

arceye

#149 Post by arceye » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Hiya Kevin, Thanks, funnily enough, our leccy Direct Debit has just been put up by quite a large chunk..
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Fred J

#150 Post by Fred J » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Noticed from your picture you are using the original jack.
A word of warning - they are prone to sudden catastrophic failure. They seem to break or separate in the tube and cannot be repaired.
I put mine in the boot working and on lifting it out it had broken! On investigation sudden failure is very common. I am just thankful I did not have the car up on it at the time!

Be very careful and use an axle stand with it.