BRAVE or just FOOLISH RM RESTO

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: BRAVE or just FOOLISH RM RESTO

#161 Post by JPB » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:44 pm

:o Well done that man! Awesome skills have been demonstrated here. 8-)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

suffolkpete

#162 Post by suffolkpete » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:00 pm

Brilliant job. Another of these fantastic cars saved. Now drive and enjoy it.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

junkyarddog

#163 Post by junkyarddog » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Excellent :D

What a great thread,fab to see it out and driving 8-)

arceye

#164 Post by arceye » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Cheers chaps :D

While there may be plenty to do I'm hoping I can treat her more as a rolling project now, its been two years of dragging myself in the garage for at least an hour and normally more every evening that has been available.

Its nice to think I might be able to enjoy it some and improve as I go. No rest just yet though as I've been bullied into signing up for the Dunrobin Castle run for the police benevolent fund in mid August. We'll have to see, even if I get the last nescesarry jobs done by then it will be a fair trial taking on the Berriedale brays etc down to Dornoch and back up to the castle before heading home. That said it would be a good proving test even if I have to come back on a RAC truck.

Just so long as I dont have to use the escape lanes at the braes :shock:

Anyway, its only six quid to sign up, so nothing lost if I don't go

mach1rob

#165 Post by mach1rob » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Well done, I bet it was a nice feeling pulling her onto the road for the first time :)

arceye

#166 Post by arceye » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:33 pm

Well, thought I should update this. I've only really tinkered with the Riley the last year, doing little jobs and a little shaking down.

I've actually been playing more with motorbikes than cars, though have been enjoying a love affair with a "modern", a nice slightly worn '97 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel with over 200k miles on the clock that has slotted nicely into the role of daily driver, and I've found an odd masochistic passion for old CZ motorcycles.

Anyway, I realised I wasn't really doing enough with Rusty, just a handful of drives and the odd job. So as she was taking up my garage space I came to a hard decision.

She's gone,

a deal done with a fellah for a modern BMW motorcycle, that I've ridden more miles on in the last few days than I've driven Rusty whilst I owned her. She was on the road but sold on as a continuing project, on the understanding she needs love and tinkering with, and was still as yet not fully tried and tested beyond short journeys. I don't have the cash to take her further so I think it was the right decision, and I hope her new keeper does her proud. She wasn't perfect yet by a long chalk, but I'm proud to have had her and saved her from the scrapmans hands she was destined for.

I had the pleasure of showing her to her former keeper just hours before she went, and giving him a little run out in her, which seemed fitting before she left.

Anyway, a few pictures of "finished" (for me) Rusty, I hope her new owner can bring her on further as she deserves.

Anyway, its a decision I'm sure I'm going to regret, I really had intended to keep her forever and use her as intended, but after all the work I found I was scared to use her enough due to cash shortages meaning I'd have trouble keeping on top of her, and actually found myself not wanting to let all that work start deteriorating by running her properly.

But, never worry, I'll be back on the projects page just as soon as I can get around to a little Mini I recently took against a Transit van I fixed up. I can fix up a mini and thrash her to the shops everyday, parts are plentiful and cheap, A series engines are still up for modern use, a bit of a change but I think its where I need to be right now.

Thats actually quite solid apart from its missing the front panels, has a little rot in the scuttle and down the drivers A post, and it is currently minus its engine as I shall be fitting a manual in place of its original auto due to the fact it wouldn't select gears and was losing fluids rapidly from the bell housing area.

Should be a simple one once I amass some funds, we will see

3xpendable

#167 Post by 3xpendable » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 am

For what it's worth Arceye, I think you made the right decision. You saved her from death and have passed her onto someone who can improve on your already amazing work, and you never know the opportunity might arise to get her back one day!

In the mean time, enjoy your bikes and the Mini :)
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

tractorman

#168 Post by tractorman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:18 am

^^^WHS^^^

It's a hard balancing act - limited income and a money pit are not really compatible, though we all pretend that it's not a problem! Sometimes "daylight" and removal of rose tinted specs is necessary and, in your case, I suspect you have done the right thing in letting the car go to someone who will cherish it and build on the (very) sound foundation that you have provided.

Most importantly, the car has been saved and provided inspiration for the rest of us (even if it was F**d blue paint!!).

I look forward to the Mini money pit appearing before too long. I'm sure all Mini owners know what you already know - Minis like to find interesting places in which to produce rot! I well remember mine making a hole half way up the front wheel arch for no apparent reason. I only realised it had gone through when my shin got wet one evening!

rich.

#169 Post by rich. » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:12 am

bye bye riley :cry: sad to see it go but its better than rotting in the shed.. i await your next resto!!

JPB

#170 Post by JPB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:48 am

Welshie wrote:For what it's worth Arceye, I think you made the right decision. You saved her from death and have passed her onto someone who can improve on your already amazing work, and you never know the opportunity might arise to get her back one day!

In the mean time, enjoy your bikes and the Mini :)
Couldn't have put it better. :thumbs:
rich. wrote:I await your next resto!!
Me too.
tractorman wrote:...(even if it was F**d blue paint!!)..
:lol: I think that the shade used suits the car beautifully but can understand your concerns about [the paint's] intended application.

Good luck with the mini. Everyone loves a mini. Everyone who isn't above seven feet tall that is. Are you swapping the front subframe for a manual one to suit the replacement engine & box? If so, what sort of condition is the auto front 'frame in and would it be appearing for sale any time soon?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops: