Alvis TA14 Mulliners Saloon Restoration

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Mash

Re: Alvis TA14 Mulliners Restoration

#21 Post by Mash » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:08 pm

Test fitting the new sill. Everything seems to fit pretty nicely

Before and after! It is very exciting to look back at these and see the difference

Mash

#22 Post by Mash » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:14 pm

I thought I had some photos of the inner wheel arch clamped in place but can't find them yet. This is the almost finished article.

I started off by hand beating this into a tree stump that had fallen in the woods nearby (it was brought home and hollowed out first :P), it then went through a series of cuts and welds and additional shaping with the english wheel and finally the shrinker

JPB

#23 Post by JPB » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:11 pm

Raw, natural talent is what I'm seeing in all of these pictures. What you have is a gift of which I'm thoroughly envious. 8-) :thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#24 Post by rich. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 pm

thats some lovely work there.. well done mate. :thumbs:

Grumpy Northener

#25 Post by Grumpy Northener » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:39 am

Mash - Always nice to see someone take the time and patience to see a restoration like this through - and as you are finding it's very rewarding to stand back and appreciate what you have achieved to date - good luck with the remaining repairs ;)

Cheers - Chris
1937 Jowett 8 - Project - in less pieces than the Jupiter
1943 Jowett Stationary Engine
1952 Jowett Jupiter - In lots of peices http://Jowett.org/
1952 Jowett Javelin - Largely original
1973 Rover P6 V8 - Original / 22,000 miles

Mash

#26 Post by Mash » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:51 pm

Thanks guys, it's encouraging to hear your responses and makes me wanna get back out in the garage for some more :) It's been kept pretty much under wraps so far so no one who really knows anything about panel beating or welding has seen it so hopefully it won't all fall apart when complete ;)

vulgalour

#27 Post by vulgalour » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:35 pm

I doubt you have much to worry about regarding the quality of your work, it all looks beautifully and carefully done and I can see nothing that jumps out at me as being bad workmanship or poor welding. It's actually really heartening to see someone tackle an Alvis that's so far gone and stick with it with such determination.

Mash

#28 Post by Mash » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:05 pm

I have invested too much time to stop now and am very determined to see it through! The majority of the restoration so far has been paid for with money I inherited from my grandfather who was very much into classic cars and motorbikes and would tell me all about the ones he'd had growing up. Owning and restoring one with the money from him seemed a fitting thing to remember him by, so if anything, that alone has spurred me on this far.

I have tried to do 'destruction' tests on my welds occasionally and spent a while bouncing on the angle irons for the boot frame so feel reasonably confident, once or twice when I have been butt welding the 1mm sheet steel and have then continued to shape the metal it has cracked the join which wasn't so good :| I think this was to do with not enough weld penetration and perhaps not enough heat?

Anyway, enough talking, here's a few more images as i've found more on the camera.

These of the wheel arch are a bit old now and show it earlier on with a few gaps and rough patches.

I've picked up a spare set of doors as two of mine were too far gone to be reasonably repaired really and at £25 each they were worth a shot. A couple are in a better state so i'll be using those, amazingly they fit perfectly. Although they look great with they're paint on, they still have a fair amount of filler and holes in when stripped back.
Last edited by Mash on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mash

#29 Post by Mash » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:16 pm

This is the english wheel I have been using so far, I was told it was used by mobile panels beaters and is at least 40 years old! It's got a little play in the hinge but came with around 15 different shaped anvils making it very useful for all sorts of shapes.

I'm afraid you'll have to try and ignore all the mess in the background of the photos, I share the garage with my dad who uses the boot and space under and around the car as storage as there's nowhere else since the car moved in :P

Mash

#30 Post by Mash » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:29 pm

The ash frame has needed some attention as well as the bodywork, After getting through some of the wood I bought a few years ago, a mate who worked down the lumber yard managed to get me four 8"x6" 6 foot long air dried ash beams for a tenner as they were closing down meaning I can safely finish all the woodwork on the project and have some left for whatever is next :D

At times there hasn't been much to go by!