My Cars

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Jonjeffryes

My Cars

#1 Post by Jonjeffryes » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi there,

PC reader for many many years, but my first post on this forum..I thought iId share my current mini collection.

Porsche 944 Lux 1984

This is 'The Duchess' ...named by my wife as she's a grand old lady with pretensions to motoring royalty. I've owned her for about 5 years now adding 18000 miles to the genuine 49000 miles she'd covered when I bought her. Although she was fabulous cosmetically, she'd suffered by lack of use so I gave her a brake and suspension rebuild, overhauled the clutch hydraulics, replaced all 4 tyres and then door, sunroof and rear hatch seals...in fact I've replaced just about most of the rubber based components on the car.

She's been meticuously maintained by me and I have full details going back to 1990..unfortunately everything before then was lost when the car was sold by the estate of the deceased second owner. However, with a bit of detective work I managed to trace the remaining 2 owners, including the famialy of the original owner and verify the history of the car and the mileage.

She is a very early lux with none of the power add ons (even the steering is manual) and drives superbly. This is the second 944 I've owned (the first was a Turbo) but I've also owned 991's, 924's and a number of 928's, so she had to be good! The colour is a special order Porsche 'sapphire' which is a grey/silver/blue/purple metallic (depending on the ambient light! She is a joy to own and the most rewarding Porsche I have ever driven.

Fiat Coupe Turbo

Second in the stable is my 1998 Fiat Coupe Turbo in portofino Blue (or 'murple' if you like). This is another relatively low mileage car which I bought last October and was the third Coupe owned last year.

I gravitated to Fiat Coupes after many Alfa Romeos, simply because I could fit my grandchildren in the back without removing their legs! My first coupe was 16v (similar engine to the Alfa 155 Q4 and Lancia Delta Integrale..but without the turbo) in Blitz Blue;

This was passed to my eldest son after a couple of months as he had blown the engine in his own car (more of that later). To replace the 16v, I bought a 20v Vis non turbo:

This was a lovely car that I spent several £000's getting it in to perfect condition...it paid me back handsomely covering nerly 20000 miles in six months in style with no major problems...but my head was turned and I wanted more...and in October I bought the Turbo which is midely tuned with a history file going back to it's collection from the Fiat factory by the origanl owner, a Doctor.

The coupe is a real classic in the making, beautiful lines and incredibly stylish interior by Pininfarina (only the interior) 220bhp and 155mph made it the fastest fwd car for many years. My car is good for about 250bhb but still returns over 30mpg average. The power delivery and 'scream' from the 5 pot engine as it comes on power has to be experienced...and if it's good enough for Jeremy Clarkeson, i can't argue with that.

Toyota MR2 mk2 project
Here's the reason for passing the first coupe to my son...this is a project which I'm currently replacing the engine for the following reason:

Yes, that is where no 2 conrod and piston once resided...the hole is on both sides of the block. I'm just at the stage of dropping the dead engine out...I've already built a replacement ready to go in.

Should be good when it's finished!

Jon
1997 Fiat Coupe Turbo
1994 Toyota MR2
1984 Porsche 944 lux