Bnicho's 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
bnicho

Bnicho's 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

#1 Post by bnicho » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:20 am

This Olive, my 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle L (or 1303 in europe) that I purchased in May 2010.

I'd wanted a VW Beetle as long as I can remember. I even worked at a VW workshop/breakers part time during my last few years of school. But I never quite got around to getting one.

Early last year I started wanting one again. My son was over-induging in Herbie movies, and I think that did it.

But now that I have a young family, it needed to have decent boot space if it was to be a practical daily. 1971-1975 Super Beetles have a Macpherson Strut front end, which meant my daughter's pram would actually fit in the front boot. So that's what I went looking for.

I looked at quite a few ranging from overpriced wrecks to high priced very clean examples that were ready to go. But what I really wanted was a tidy one relatively cheap I could fix up and put on the road with minimal hassle.

This particular 74 Superbug popped up on eBay unreserved with a reasonable starting price. But it was two hours drive away and I certainly wasn't going to buy it without inspecting it first, so I let it slide. When nobody bid on it so I contacted the seller and arranged to inspect it.

The car had been sitting in a shed in the dry western part of the state for the last five years. It presented very well, with only a couple of small rust spots. Underneath was really clean and solid. The drivers side pan had been replaced and the welding was not exactly pretty but it seemed strong enough. Otherwise there was nothing to report, with just dull factory paint under the wings and all the usual rot spots were surprisingly pristine. Inside was not so good. The odometer had quit, the headliner was ripped, the carpets were well worn and the seats had a couple of splits. Other than a shimmy at 80km/h it drove nicely, with plenty of power for a 1600cc bug. Even the tyres were brand new, having been replaced with a view to putting it back on the road.

I really liked this one, but I wasnt completely set on it yet, so I went away and looked at a couple more Beetles. Those examples only convinced me that this car was the best I would find for the money. A mate Danny drove me back in his work ute the following weekend to collect it. I topped up the oil and splashed in ten litres of fresh fuel. With Danny following I began the drive home. Cruising at the legal 110km/h limit on the freeway was surprisingly not a problem.

Unfortunately the battery decided to die during the journey, requiring a jump start and a minor traffic jam in the main street of Woodend. Otherwise the trip home was uneventful.

The colour is "Martini Olive" so the family have decided she will be called "Olive". It's an odd colour, it looks almost yellow in direct sunlight, but is definitely green any other time. I didn't like the colour much, but it's very period and has grown on me.

The day after I got her home I gave her a thorough inspection. The battery refused to hold a charge, so I replaced it. Left indicators that stopped working when I hit the brakes turned out to be nothing more than a dodgy earth to the tail light. The non-functioning washers worked again when I reconnected all the plumbing properly and pumped up the spare tyre that powers them. The numberplate light had a blown bulb and the rear brakes and handbrake needed work. Otherwise everything mechanical seemed fault-free. Inside it needed a few broken seat knobs etc replaced, but that's about it.

The next week I submitted Olive for an RWC (MOT) and was completely speechless when she passed. RWC's are very harsh here and passing first try is virtually unheard of.

Despite the fresh certificate, I knew there were still some faults to be sorted. I replaced the handbrake cables and discovered that the rear brake hoses had collapsed internally and were mostly blocked. A new steering damper cured the shimmies and the carby needed a cleanout. The torn headlining was deemed unacceptable, so I splashed out and had a new one fitted along with new window rubbers.

Finally I took Olive to VicRoads for an identity inspection and she was issued with a set of new numberplates. Since then the anonymous plate XSO.801 has been replaed with my personal number BN.874 - my initials and birth month and year.

I've had her on the dyno for a tune and she delivers a healthy 44hp at the wheels from her 1600cc's.

So far Olive has provided six months of service as a daily driver and has been 100% reliable. Nothing seems to stop this car and I enjoy driving her.
Brett Nicholson
1965 Morris Mini Traveller - Trixie
1966 Austin Mini Super-Deluxe - Audrey
1969 Morris Mini Van - Desert Assault Van
1971 Morris Moke - Mopoke
1974 VW Super Beetle - Olive
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

Re: Bnicho's 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

#2 Post by Mrotwoman » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:35 pm

That's very nice,I don't think i've ever seen one in that colour,was it an Australian only option?
And squeezing that buggy in is quite a feat,even in a 1303!
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

bnicho

#3 Post by bnicho » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks for your comments. :)

Olive was assembled here in Melbourne. Beetles were made here from CKD (Completely knocked down) kits from 1954 to 1975 with varying local content for glass, trim, lights and paint. This shade is unique to Australian built VWs, although it was possibly also used on Datsuns. In late 75 VW stopped assembling the cars locally and simply imported them from Germany before discontinuing the Beetle completely in 1976.

It did take a bit of jiggling to get the pram in there, but it fits, just!

Cheers,
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

Mrotwoman

#4 Post by Mrotwoman » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:11 pm

It sure is a beaut (as you say ;) ).
I bet the kids like it,out of all the classics I've had my kids loved my V-dub the most,that Herbie effect again.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.

bnicho

#5 Post by bnicho » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:34 am

My son is Herbie crazy. So Olive the Beetle is his favourite. But my daughter seems to prefer Mopoke the Moke.

If that's the way it works out, then at least there will be no fights ove who gets which car when I die! :)
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

bnicho

#6 Post by bnicho » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:23 am

Some theiving barstard stole all four of the wheel trim rings off Olive yesterday. It'll only cost about $80-100 AU to replace them, but it's still very annoying all the same.

Maybe it's time to fit some alloys instead? Silver lining and all that...
Brett Nicholson
2009 Nissan Pathfinder

JPB

#7 Post by JPB » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:15 pm

:shock: I thought that it was only here in the UK where people like that were allowed to breed. :evil:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

TerryG

#8 Post by TerryG » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 pm

I thought all ozzies were criminals ;) (only yanking your chain)
It's a shame there are so many low lives about no matter where in the world you are. At least it was only the wheel trims not the whole car!
Understeer: when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
Oversteer: when you hit the wall with the back of the car.
Horsepower: how fast you hit the wall.
Torque: how far you take the wall with you.

Mrotwoman

#9 Post by Mrotwoman » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Thieving low-life dag ! (See I'd blend in well)

No to alloys though from me,it's just so nice to see an unmodded one for a change.

Luxobarge

#10 Post by Luxobarge » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Mrotwoman wrote:,it's just so nice to see an unmodded one for a change.
Seconded 100%. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a standard one.
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.