What my dad is up to these days

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
3xpendable

What my dad is up to these days

#1 Post by 3xpendable » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi all, just wanted to post some pictures of the work my dad has been doing lately and how lucky I am to have him available to help with my projects ;) My brother and I caught the classic car bug from him, he has owned an Anglia 105E since the early 70's and did his apprenticeship at Landrover then becoming a self employed mechanic. Now that he is in his twilight years he has semi retired and so has plenty of time to help me and my brother with our restorations and so I wanted to show off some of his skills for your appreciation. He also was thinking of offering his skills as he would like to earn some money in his retirement so I thought i'd show you some of his work and see if anyone wants to use his services.This is my brothers Hillman Imp Californian that he restored not long ago. He wants to work on classics exclusively covering servicing through to full restorations and as the pictures show he is damn good at every aspect from engine rebuilds through to resprays and welding/fabrication. Everything done on the Imp was done by him (with some help from us), his attention to detail is also amazing.

Engine rebuilt, converted to 998cc and fitted with twin Solex carbs, all done in-house

He also revamped detailing such as the badges which are now obsolete

He is now helping me with my MGB GT restoration/conversion along with rebuilding the MK1 Hillman imp (both with threads in here). He is also restoring the body of the VW split screen camper imported from Tasmania pictured below for a friend of mine. This will be fitted with an Alfa flat-four motor but dad has been asked to prepare the bodyshell.

I hope you enjoy, and if you would be interested or know of anyone who might be interested in using him please just let me know. He is based in Pembrokeshire, South West Wales.
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

Luxobarge

Re: What my dad is up to these days

#2 Post by Luxobarge » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Looks like excellent quality of work there - good thread, thanks. I wish you were nearer....

Any idea of the sort of labour rates he's looking to charge?

Cheers! ;)
Some people are like Slinkies - they serve no useful purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them downstairs.

3xpendable

#3 Post by 3xpendable » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks Luxobarge,

I think he was thinking in the region of £20 an hour for restoration work, and less for servicing etc. Yeah he is in a remote spot unfortunately!
2013 Dodge Durango R/T
1965 Ford Anglia 106e Estate (Wagon). LHD.
1964 Ford Anglia 105e Saloon

Mrotwoman
Location: We're gonna have a breakdance party,breakdance all night long.

#4 Post by Mrotwoman » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 am

Looks great,the Imp shell looks like it came straight from the factory :)

Good luck with the splitty.
Have you forgotten that once we were brought here we were robbed of our names,robbed of our language,we lost our religion,our culture,our God? And many of us by the way we act,we even lost our minds.