V6 into a RHD Chrysler Neon mk1

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Mitsuru

Re: V6 into a RHD Chrysler Neon mk1

#1371 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:07 am

Okay a little up date.
I still have the old girl, she hasn't been touched due to moving house, ill health & lack of cash.
In order to get the old girl along from my parents to my place, I need to build a drive.
Council/housing association messing me about with requirements & dimensional details.
Shed/Workshop base installed, so just need to buy or build that [not big enough for car but for tools & parts.

The old girl herself is going to need a new windscreen as the current one is de-laminating badly.
I've had a quote of £180 plus Tax for a replacement which isn't that bad a price.
But as I said [previously lack of money means it can wait.
She will live again it's just going to take a little tme.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

JPB

#1372 Post by JPB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:24 am

Good to see that you're still around, Aron! Keep at it, do what you can, when you can and one day that Neon will be ready to roll once again.

:thumbs:
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

rich.

#1373 Post by rich. » Tue May 09, 2017 5:49 am

glad to hear your still about mate! pics of the new workshop please! :thumbs:

Mitsuru

#1374 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 am

WELL! The housing association turned round & said I needed to put everything through the Council Planning dept. So after filling out the forms which only had 3inch by 3 inch space for a diagram I then added 12 pages separate of info & detailed drawings!

The council planning dept have said okay to shed, I think as they haven't said patio hight to be taken of shed hight so.....

A quick reminder of the front & lay of the land, it slopes down & away from the pavement towards the bungalow. The following is from the pdf letter sent via email to me in response to my Planning Dept enquiry from Durham County Council [costing £25]

Once you've read this think for a moment all those driveways that are concrete or tarmac that have just been put in & either direct the rain water run off to a drain or off the property onto the public footpath & highway how the hell did they get that permission & I get this!?!

Dear **** ******
Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended) Proposed
Shed in rear garden and fence height alterations. At
*** ****** ******, Blackhall Colliery
For ************
I refer to your recent enquiry in which you seek advice on whether the works described above requires Planning Permission and/or Building Regulation Consent.

On the basis of the documents and information you have provided I consider that the various proposals constitute “Permitted Development” under the provisions of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development Order) (England) 2015 for which planning permission is not required. However as you have not clarified a final decision in respect of some of the works I have detailed below the various permitted development rights associated with each element.

Fences: A fence up to 2 metres high can be erected without needing planning permission so long as the fence is not adjacent to a highway. If a fence is to be put up next to a highway it can be no higher than 1 metre. The fence you propose around your rear garden can be up to 2 metres in height without requiring planning permission.

Shed: There are permitted development rights for erecting buildings within the curtilage of your home but there are conditions attached. Any building must not take up more than 50 percent of the total area of the curtilage (not including the dwelling). I estimate that the front and rear garden area measures approximately 96 square metres, so any shed or outdoor building could not take up more than 48 square metres, which is certainly the case in your enquiry.

Other restrictions are that the building must not be forward of the principle elevation and if located within 2 metres of the boundary it must not be higher than 2.5 metres. From looking that the details you provide, I consider that your proposed shed would easily fall within these requirements and planning permission would therefore not be required.

Driveway: There are permitted development rights associated with providing a hard surface for any purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house and for the replacement in whole or part of such a surface.

However there are restrictions relating to this. If the ground area to be covered by the hard surface, or the hard surface to be replaced, exceeds 5 square metres, and if it is located to the front of the house, then the hard surface must be made of porous materials, or provision must be made to direct run–off water from the hard surface to a permeable or porous area or surface within the curtilage of the dwelling house.

The driveway area you propose would exceed 5 square metres and being constructed of concrete or tarmac as suggested in your letter, this would require you to ensure run-off to a permeable area, for example grassed area. The regulations do not mention directing run-off to an existing drain and on this basis I do not consider that this aspect of your plans would be permitted under these regulations.

However, you have the opportunity to request for block paving which is considered a permeable surface. If you decide to alter your plans in any way you should check with the Council that the alterations do not result in Planning Permission being required. You should also check, if you do not proceed with the work for some time, in case the relevant legislation is changed.

The Building Control team have considered your enquiry and made the following observation:
Building Regulation consent will not be required for your proposal, based on the information you have provided.
The information provided within this correspondence contains informal officer advice made for guidance purposes only and in no way prejudices any future decisions made by officers "or members of this Authority.
If you are unclear about any aspect of this correspondence or you require further
assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
Yours sincerely
Planning Officer

I then sent the reply with the following to the housing association

Dear *******
As suggested a Preliminary Planning Permission Request Enquiry Form {£25 per form] was sent to Durham County Council.
Please find that I have forwarded the original reply as well as attached copy of relevant sheets from form plus some of those I had attached for further information.

As the Council would have no problem with raising the proposed hight of the fence, so that it is at a safe hight on the Patio/Shed hard-standing side. I would therefore like to request permission for this to be done. When this is being done the hand rail that you request be added next to the steps will then be added. Please find attached photo showing paving slabs have been cut & re-beded. The fence will when complete on the rear garden run at a continuous hight at that of the fence between 25 & 24 Corry Close.

As the Council would have no problem with a shed of no more than 2.5m high within 2 meters of the boundary. The diagrams/plans submitted show LESS than 50cm. The Council have not stated that the overall hight of what would be permitted as shed minus the hight of the patio at where it comes to the rear ally. So therefore patio hight will not come into it.
However I would be constructing a shed with the roof sloping away from the bungalow with the lowest point of the roof at the ally side. The door would be on the opposite side facing the bungalow. Hight of shed plus blocks/legs it stands upon the patio would not be more than 2.5m.

Regarding the Driveway I got the feeling that the person was reading from & sticking to an instruction manual regardless of information given! They have said yes to a driveway even over heavy clay soil which when wet which is considered a permeable surface even though it isn't it would run off . top soil is at best 2 inches thick {unless where it has been dug out & good soil put in}
After receiving the reply I called did ask why it was that other driveways of concrete or tarmac such were being put in if NO permeable surface OR any drainage was available. The response was "if nobody complains then do it!" I then asked for the letter to be amended as it currently states "The regulations do not mention directing run-off to an existing drain" rather than a permeable surface, they refused!

For the driveway construction
25-30cm of hardcore {rubble} compacted
With either 10-15cm layer of Concrete/Tarmac directing water to an existing drain capable of taking the rain water.
or
Paving Slabs/Block Paving.

Please see attached diagrams for 2 options for the driveway layout. I may have got a little ratty [for obvious reasons] with the person but I was not abusive nor did I use fool language. BUT I got the feeling those reviewing the plans/proposals have no knowledge/experience of building/repairs or on geology (types of soil/ground) which would better direct them and be able to give a straight forward answer or listen to common sense reasoning.

I look forward to your reply
Yours sincerely

The housing association have replied
Afternoon
Thank you for your email below, just to inform you a letter granting permission will be sent out within the next two days, all conditions are stated within the applicable letter
Regards

So the question is what are they going to say or tell me to do!?!
The ever decrecing circles you have to go through!

Mitsuru

#1375 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 am

regarding the photos it looks like Photobucket doesn't like host images for 3rd party sites now
And have stated to upgrade so it can be done would cost me $399 per years will they can forget that!

rich.

#1376 Post by rich. » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:33 am

glad to see your back mate.. photobucket can be found here..
http://www.practically-classics.co.uk/f ... f=3&t=6663

gazza82

#1377 Post by gazza82 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 pm

Mitsuru wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:51 am
regarding the photos it looks like Photobucket doesn't like host images for 3rd party sites now
And have stated to upgrade so it can be done would cost me $399 per years will they can forget that!
If you login to PhotoBucket there are options to download all your images back to your PC/laptop. It will even package them nicely in a zip file to save space and transfer time.

Just go to "Your Bucket" and if you have divided them up each of your Albums and click on Download Album

download_album.jpg
download_album.jpg (9.28 KiB) Viewed 36236 times
... and follow the instructions.
"If you're driving on the edge ... you're leaving too much room!"

Retirement Project: '59 Austin A35 2-door with 1330cc Midget engine and many upgrades
Said goodbye: got '98 Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 TSpark to 210K miles before tin worm struck

Mitsuru

#1378 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:56 pm

I've spent 3 each night trying to get it to download with no luck.

Well I have been told the letter is in the post by the housing association. It still has not yet arrived. However I came across a listing on freecycle.
It stated "18x18 inch [45cmx45cm] 100+ paving slabs lifted & a further 100+ out the back to go too!". A quick calculation stated 70 full slabs required plus a further 13 half slabs to make it complete.

So 3 trips with the trailer. I think I have enough, and yes I know they are not the thick council type which would have been ideal but a further 3 trips if they had them for the same amount. What I could do is [depending on what they have stated I can have] is use these as a temporary top surface, then swap them out over a period of time
Attachments
20258197_10154908101918553_3382452853430324306_n(1).jpg
20258197_10154908101918553_3382452853430324306_n(1).jpg (83.94 KiB) Viewed 36223 times

Mitsuru

#1379 Post by Mitsuru » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Car Insurance renewal time
Graham Sykies [KGM] £261.88 CURRENT INSURER
Brentacre - have the details and said they will call me back!!!!
Classicline - would not touch as car not old enough [30+]
lancaster - 1) As I do not have another car I can not get insurance through them. - How can someone be unemployed afford to own maintain tax & insure 2 vehicles when on benefits, I am struggling with one!
2) they said I need to modify the breaks & suspension because I have installed a larger engine - The breaks on the mk2 Voyager which has the same engine and box has same break discs the neon and is a larger vehicle!!!!
Looks like Graham Sykies [KGM] are keeping my business.

Mitsuru

#1380 Post by Mitsuru » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:56 pm

2 things
The drive foundations reinforcement is in, the gas supply & main sewer pipes are shielded. and the hardcore is going in.
It's not if it gets finished but when and the car will be brought along shortly afterwards.
With the winter weather due and the shorter days I have been looking into the 3D scanning and parts design. So my first go at the use of a 3D scanner programme on my old computer using free downloaded software & a 2nd hand Xbox 360 konnect sensor which I bought from Cash Generators with all the cables & power supply for £10 including warranty.
I will keep that separate in this thread/post
https://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=419951

Sorry for the delay on the actual car