V6 into a RHD Chrysler Neon mk1

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
JPB

Re: V6 into a RHD Chrysler Neon mk1(SHE LIVES!!! only just!)

#1301 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:34 am

Mmm. :drool: Luxury minis with longer boots and a wooden dash should be made available on the National Elf Service.. :oops:

That much modded satin black one has been around for decades and it always looks like a solid job. Shame someone cut its roof off. ;)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#1302 Post by arceye » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm

I like that little elf, apart from I find the screen pillars look scarily like brain scoops looking to be cut and finished so squarely, surely again't "elf" and safety rules that.

JPB

#1303 Post by JPB » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:37 pm

I see what you mean, but for a gnome made conversion it appears fairy well done and the weight reduction must make it go elf or leather.

And is it me, or does some of that pinstriping look a bit like a squatting woman if you squint a little?
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

arceye

#1304 Post by arceye » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:33 pm

:lol:

and yes, now that you mention it that pinstriping could be likened to such an image, though perhaps we should avoid taking a Rorschach test anytime soon :)

Mitsuru

#1305 Post by Mitsuru » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:25 am

The stereo face plate arrived in the post, so I popped out to the car and removed the
old one with the stereo still in place fitted just the new plate to then mark up with a
pencil to get an idea of where the switches and button will go.

New face plate and a buttin for the LPG change over fitted in the center and marked
up ready for the toogle switches holes to be drilled. Stereo fitted to plate so it is
easier to judge best on layout. The old stereo face plate with the LPG switch, but in
order to get that setup I had to glue the LPG switch in place.

I will be making so reinforcement brackets to hold the stereo sleve to the face plate
and stop any vibration. Something similar to photo below altered in msn paint. At least
I can do this in the garage now I can see what I'm doing (that is while dad's at work)

I am still waiting on a UK scrapyard with details on a list of parts I am interested in
purchasing from them.
I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Mitsuru

#1306 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:45 am

First the test fitting to show where alterations need to be made. As you can see the hole is offset and the bracket need the bolt holes ovaling so that it can move across to even the spacing and look out.

The foot which holds the bracket at an equal level on the dash structure is too
small and that has cause the gap.

The push button is just a fraction low, but will do perfectly.

The bolt hole is moveable so no altering on this one

This bolt hole can not be moved so the corresponding bolt hole on the bracket is the one the to be ovalled.

The bracket is now as far across as it can be without either cutting into the bracket or dash structure.

The cover on and the main hole is centred, the holes for the toggle switches had to made higher up as the switches have more bulk and need to sit level but with the step in the face of the bracket it has a corisponding lip behind. And yes I do realise that they are a little off but they are the pilot holes and I can do the strightening out with the file.

This is how the support bits look with the bracket stereo adapter plate off the car. I used some alloy angle and managed to cut it with metal sheet cutters then filed the edges down to avoid it cutting the wiring. And some pop rivets used with a little hammering so the stereo could go back in easily. Apart from the switch holes I need to get a bit of stick on felt for the feet.

There are only 2 nut and bolts used as I didn't have a relevant style rivet. The parts that have been cut away still give good access to fit or change switches.

Mitsuru

#1307 Post by Mitsuru » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:28 am

Okay a few days before Christmas I went to my friendly scrapyard at wingate and went around
the cars to see what might be useful in making a gauge pod that was in a similar style to the
neon's dash and not look like an after market add-on!

And for the first time in many moons they actually had a Chrysler in!!!

Unfortunately for me it was a mk2 so useless for the majority of things I was looking for as spares.
But it did yield a good black leather seat which as you can see from the photos is in need of a good
clean and feed(so do the Volvo seats)

Slight difference in leather & pattern on the centre cushions but the frame having already being done
in black saves a lot of time and hassle.

The person in the office said they would be closed from Christmas eve till 5th of January. As I didn't
have the right tools I left and was probably expected to wait till the 5th!
On Monday just gone I had to take mother's astra for a good spin so it wouldn't get to the same state
she had in before and decided to head up to Durham for a bit of shopping.

I had a feeling and had thrown some tools into the car just in case because I was going to have a little
detour to the scrapyard just on the off chance! They were open for cash business and for a little sorting
out so I got the seat.

Oh and I will need to get a set of rer seat head rests out of one of the volvos so the match the front!

And a photo taken earlier in the year showing both front seats that eventually the rear bench seat
will hopefully emulate better than my previous plan/idea!

Just removing the two retaining bolts that hold the back cushion in and the hauling the bits back to
the car screwed me royally the ground was sheet ice and I will be feeling the pin amplified by the cold
for a few days! I will give it till the 5th so it is hopefully a little warmer and try again for dash pod stuff.

Well at least I got something done! Even if it wasn't wha I intended to do! Oh and I picked up a usb/sd
card/ cd/ dvb(digital) radio for a car for next to nothing too :grin:

Mitsuru

#1308 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:18 am

I finally found out about the The Ryhope Steam Engines Museum show
The Ryhope Sunderland Start of Season Classic Car Show is planned to take place at
Ryhope Engines Museum, The Pumping Station, Waterworks Road, Tyne and Wear,
Sunday 5th April 2015. You may reach the event organisers on 07845 689 534.

Classic cars, vans and bikes, pre 1998 only, and must stay till 3pm. This show is
very popular and space is limited, so we suggest that you get there early.
I put the relevant part in a larger font size!! Yep Christine squeaks in if she is back on
the road as she was made and registered in 1997!!! A mk1 Neon is eligible for taking
part in a classic car show! And a well known one in the region at that.

Just wish I had warm enough weather for me to sort the rats nest of wiring that is
beneath the bonnet.

suffolkpete

#1309 Post by suffolkpete » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:37 am

Better get cracking then, that's only three months away.
1974 Rover 2200 SC
1982 Matra Murena 1.6

Mitsuru

#1310 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:01 pm

Okay I have been looking different gauge pods as an alternative to changing the vents
beyond recognition and a lot of hard work which might not look right!

So I ended up looking at Mitsubishi again but this time from a Shogun/pajero or L200.
I managed get to North East Motor Salvage in Peterlee and there was a Shogun Sport
which had the same style as the L200.

Which wasn't listed on their on-line inventory and looked like some had ripped the
interior apart and had dumped most of the dash against the fence and not in the vehicle,
so dirty and dirty water had penetrated it! But as I wouldn't need the gauges I would be
swapping those out if it is suitable.

After a bloody good scrub up and washing out, the texture and colour is soo bloody close
it could have been made from the same plastic in the same factory.

Tape to hold shell together for photos. I looks like it fits just where it needs to be and not
on across onto the othe dash panels

After removing the gauges from the internal structure I popped the guts of one of the
Datsun 240z dual gages into the centre to see how it fitted and looked.

In the centre is the electronic compass or temp gauge directly either side of that are the
guts of the old pod gauges. Then on the ends the internal covers of those gauges which
has a set of old 52mm electrically operated gauges I had on the shelf over the bed.

Those 52mm gauages fitted in thos internal covers without any modification.

However I would need to alter the back of the internal stricture to cope with the 52mm
gauges holding/fixing brackets IF I went down this route.

Did you spot the problem with this cluster? Clue it's all about angles!