V6 into a RHD Chrysler Neon mk1

Post pictures and stories about your cars both present and past. Also post up "blogs" on your restoration projects - the more pictures the better! Note: blog-type threads often get few replies, but are often read by many members, and provide interest and motivation to other enthusiasts so don't be disappointed if you don't get many replies.
Mitsuru

Re: V6 into a RHD Chrysler Neon mk1

#1361 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:17 am

I bought these 2 mk2 Neon rear hub/axels off ebay including delivery total £20. As my sugar levels
were all over the place due to meds, wiring wasn't possible as my sight fluctuated.
So I decided to do strip these down. It looks like they were cut off a year ago and levt out side!

After the disc drum rear shield had been removed, the remains of lateral link bars/bolts, the handbrake
assemblies, and one of the remians of a torsion/trailing arms removed

Once these have been totally stripped back, I will see about if the larger Voyager Drum assemble etc
will bolt up to the main unit.
Only the remains of one torsion bar, before I need to remove the spindle/hub bearing units. Once that
is done I can then remove the four bolts behind and separate the Axel and the cast steel structure for
the disc drum setup.

I'm Diabetic,& disabled BUT!! NOT DEAD YET!!

Mitsuru

#1362 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:20 am

In order to not damage the threads on the studs a few lug nuts and helps give a tighter way using the
angle iron to prevent the hub moving while removing the dust cap to get to the nut.

The fully bare voyager drum back plate rust and all! As you can see a big hole to deal with, but I have a
cunning plan Baldrick!

Just a few reference photos with talpe for measurements.

Voyager hub, and the assembly looks like this side was under water for a time before I got it!

Brand new just out of the box standard non abs drum cylinder for neon on the right.
Old Voyager abs drum brake cylinder on left

I left the springs and spacers etc on the voyager drum shoes then placed the neon handbrake soes ontop

A good show of the depth comparison of the two drum shoes

The neon brake cylinder fits the hole used for the voyager's old brake cylinder so I have options!

One reason the voyager might have faild an mot? The larger voyager cylinder missing one of it's pistons.

Old label off scrapyard

Now a brief outline of the cunning plan!

The Voyager Drum back plate will get a good going over with wire brush attachments to make it easier for it
to be worked with.

Theon hub/bearing unit will remain with the axle as will metal casring disc bracket so they are together when
both voyager back plate and hub along with Neon hub/axel is dropped off to so the can take the necessary
measurements.

I'm thinking 6 or 8m plate used to make an adapter plate, with the same metal plate acting as two slices of
bread and the voyager drum backing plate as the filling. The four bolt holes reused as bolt holes to bolt the
adapter together. ABS will be kept and the details taken from the neon disc bracket and drilled in the plate.

To make sure that it all lines up correctly and I'm not outside with a grinder in bad weather I will get the
machine shop I used previously for the lateral control arm alterations to do the work.

I just need someone who knows the details of neon rear disc caliper and drum cylinder displacement etc to
check to see which is the right drum cylinder to use and what restrictors need adding or removing!

What do you think?

Mitsuru

#1363 Post by Mitsuru » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:09 pm

When the suspension is not on the car removing the single locknut from the hub bearing unit is a pain!

G-clamps iron bars and I moved an anvil trying undo one! Rear units dismantled, so I will take them
plus the voyager drum assembly to the machine shop so they can do all the necessary measurements
to make the adapter plates.

I looked at trying to buy 2 new voyager drum mounting plates, but I keep getting 'Discontinued!'.

I am going to get everything ready for a quick swap so I don't need to touch the car till all parts are
organised etc. Big rear drum assembly with ABS. So when the standard yiny handbrake fails no matter
how well it maybe adjusted, I can come home and swap them over. (or I could just swap them over
before hand and do a few bush replacements)

Mitsuru

#1364 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:36 pm

Well I had been looking around at prices and sizes of the drums for the setup.
lowest I was getting was £50 highest was £90 per drum plus tax and delivery. Well that was until I
found one listing using a different code.

So I paid for one at £33.53 inc tax and delivery(saved driving around all shops) It arrives it fits, second
one ordered for the other side.

The mounting plates seem to be discontinued so I might have to get the old ones refurbed.

A new set of springs is a must. Then that would leave the hydraulic cylinder to work out, and the custom
adapter plates and drums to be to be done by the machine shop.

Mitsuru

#1365 Post by Mitsuru » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Well just ordered parts for the Chrysler's Sensors. Oil Pressure Transducer (giving actual pressure readings not an on/off switch) Temperature sensor (oil not coolant) LPG Fuel Tank Level Sensor (magnet bust in old one). Plus an T-piece Adapter for connecting them in.

Replacement bulbs for the gauges so will be LED, I had enough of a chew last time after putting the dash back together only to realise that in doing so the filament on certain bulbs had been damaged DON'T ASK! The replacement Aerial connector also arrived so the replacement stereo can go in without the need for 2 separate aerials one for FM/MW and the other for DAB.

Relays and fuses for the front heated seats I was thinking of mounting those under the Bonnet, yes I know a bit more cable to run but the alternative would be behind the stereo! If I can get the dash board put back together that should mean only wiring left to do will be under the Bonnet! ugh! and no garage to have the car undercover means I need good weather.

Speaker wise, knowing as most do that I was replacing the shot front door speakers. I came across something that was available on some older model cars and were still available from aftermarket parts suppliers, but not now!.

Speaker Protectors to protect the speakers from water coming from the door glass to prevent damage to the speaker coils and cones, not to mention delay on the tin worm. If I can't find a suitable size and cheap I will make some out of CLEANED food containers or packaging. Thoughts on this?

rich.

#1366 Post by rich. » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:30 am

its coming together.. how long before its on the road mate?

JPB

#1367 Post by JPB » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:54 am

rich. wrote:its coming together.. how long before its on the road mate?
Hello Aron, long time, no hear from. Yes, ^^^ what he said. Here's hoping you're keeping well and that you'll soon be able to concentrate your efforts on the car's return to the road.
:)
J
"Home is where you park it", so the saying goes. That may yet come true.. :oops:

Mitsuru

#1368 Post by Mitsuru » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:36 pm

30 March

I had to rebuild the guts of the dual gauge unit so it was what is required using bits from a few other gages. With the gauges not being used in a long time the first use with the car volytage the smell of burning and smoke rose from the elements of the bimetallic strip heaters.

I then took some LED replacements for wedge fitment bulbs to canalised them to work in the back of the unit without the need to replace it that often and the old bulb would have sewed the readings as the bulb holder is now further in.

Another of the bulbs will be used in the single gauges either side of the dual centre gauge. Only one of the gauges fitted. Modifying the dials of the single gauges to match the centre will have to be done a different way, possibly as a vinyl overlay.

The cowl doesn't fit quite right and the white plastic structure broke too easily. I will need to get replacements.But the overall idea does work.

I will replace the word 'FUEL' with 'LPG'.
Transmission Oil Temp or 'T Oil Temp' above the 'LPG' unfortunately I don't know where to connect up to obtain gearbox oil pressure on this automatic box Or I would have had that instead. But I can always swap out the temp gauge for that later.
Engine Oil Temp and Pressure either side.

14 April ·

Two bits of the jigsaw arrived in the puzzle that is the wiring loom of the car! Oil Pressure sender unit and the adapter, the temp sensor I already had.
Just waiting on the replacement yazaki temp gauge after realising the one I had was too far gone. Just need the good weather to get these fitted' which should let me see problems as they are happening rather than after it all has blown up when the idiot light comes on the dash board.

18 April

I made the mistake by thinking I could put a double gauge in instead of one of the centre dash vents. So had cut one to fit a unit. As I can not fibre a replacement dash panel I must therefore attempt to repair it.

Photo 1, shows what needs putting back together.

Photo 2, shows the Mitsubishi dash gauge pod being repaired yes with fibre glass. not very well done but just enough to reinforce that damaged section.

Photos 3 & 4 show the centre Vents being wrapped in fibre glass to put them back together and reinforce them so it doesn't fall apart with vibrations.

Photo 5 the fiber glass resin had ran onto the front this has been removed but centre vent holes need sanding clean.

Photo 6, showing the rear of the panel and the levelling of the fibreglass reinforcement and sanding off any sharp edges.

Photo 7, the vent holes and surround sanded with 270 then 320 grit sandpaper. then wiped down with white spirits dried then plastic bumper polish to help put back the shine and protection so it looked right.

Photo 8, I still need to do a little work on the pins that the vent swivel on and a further screw or bolt to stop vents rotating further than it should.

Please note I haven't used fibreglass in over 15 years sp I was not sure how it would react to the dash plastic even though I have seen and heard of others using it on Neon dash panels.

Help wise apart from someone giving me their F'ing cold my health was slowly improving, now I have a coughing fit and set my back off! Weather getting warmer so will maje a start on the enginebay electrics soon I hope!

But it will take a few dats just to figuire out where and what I have gotten up to!

Mitsuru

#1369 Post by Mitsuru » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:21 pm

A bit more work on the car's wiring loom.
The replacement Yazaki Temp arrived so that was fitted and a wiring loom fashioned and soldered together. I made sure that the gauges can be disconnected more easily. LED bulbs in and there is a switch above the stereo to put the gauges on separately from the ignition power if needed (thinking of LPG fuel level)

I fitted the gauge pod to the dash panel for fitment, for the structure is fine both for the upper dash panel and for the ducting underneath. I know trimming the cowl is not going to be fun as that will be visiable to all looking in. And I know a ballsed up on the trimming of the face plate surround.

Swithes above the stereo will be from left to right
1) Electric Areail manual/overide off/retraction (for listening to stereo while going through car wash) toggle
2) Parking sensors main on/off overide switch . toggle
3) LPG change over momentary on switch/button
4) Gauge power supply selector toggle switch
5) Front Fog Light switch.

unless I change my minds those are what the switches are for!

Mitsuru

#1370 Post by Mitsuru » Tue May 24, 2016 8:20 pm

I will not be able to attend club meets or shows unless they are literally on my doorstep for a good few months. I am moving into my own place over the next few weeks and all the bills mean no money to spend on fuel to get out and about. I don't have the space for a front panel with headlights for the living room but wish I did, will be settling for the Wolseley 18/85 or Six Chrome Grill and a few car badges gauges and models.

No drive at the new place and as renting(long term tenancy) I will be probationary for a year. The neon will be left at my parent's where she currently is. After the probationary period I can apply to have a drive/off street parking place put in and move her there if she still hasn't gotten back on the road.

Once I have gotten moved in I will be back on the V6 wiring in the neon. I wasn't expecting getting this house as there were others above me on the list!